Viewing 34 posts - 121 through 154 (of 154 total)
  • Have you changed to non diary milk? which one, how’s it going?
  • northernmatt

Thanks, I’ll have a look next time I am in there. Need to go anyway to get her some vegan Galaxy. Price is about in line with Ben & Jerrys vegan tbh.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

The OH has a severe dairy allergy, but has just found Booja Booja ice cream and chocolates. They are quite nice for a non-dairy alternative, albeit pricey! Beats the B&J vegan icecream hands down.

highlandman
    Free Member

I feel that the almond growing factory/industry and process is very hard indeed to justify on environmental grounds. ‘Fossil’ water pumped from below the empty California aquifers; heavy pesticide and herbicide use in the fields; the pollination problem, heavy industry in the harvesting and process stages; and finally shipping heavy product half-way around the world.
    Same applies to Soya, with the added crime of deforestation.
    Oat seems to come out best among the substitutes but does anyone know much about the actual production process? I don’t. Where are the oats from, at what stage does water bulk up the product and the supply chain, how much energy is needed to release the starch etc from the oats..?
    I think that for now I will stick to local, Scottish grown, organic dairy and just do my best to keep a sensible lid on the amount that I use.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

The OH has a severe dairy allergy, but has just found Booja Booja ice cream and chocolates.

Dairy-free ice cream and chocolates is fortunately a very easy choice of late.

Here’re a few faves at Chez Rider over the last 12 months:

Magnum vegan (expensive and delicious)
    Swedish Glace vanilla choc ice (less expensive and still delicious)
    Tony’s Chocolonely Dark with almond and sea salt (chocoheaven) – not cheap but reflects the true cost of chocolate. A seasonal special hereabouts. Makes a nice gift.
    J D Gross Almond and Orange (Lidl, v good, only about £1.50 and fair trade)

It’s all been much easier for me to switch and cut back since Cadburys (and Terry’s) became Satan’s slurry. Note that it always seems to be half price…and stacked to the ceiling like cheap soap in latter years – a steal at £1 for a helping of palm oil, refined sugar and spangly plastic wrapper. The DIEBEETUS! is free. FREE! 🤮

woffle
    Free Member

Swedish Glace vanilla choc ice (less expensive and still delicious)

+1

Have been eating Swedish Glace for years as our youngest was dairy free until recently so we all ate the same icecream. Their icecream and choc-ices are ace.

ashweee
    Free Member

My local Tesco are currently sold out of my usual oatly barista so I tried some good hemp barista seed milk and it’s absolutely disgusting, really thin and made my morning cappuccino bitter.

Gave it a second go today and it was just as bad, so tomorrow I’m going to try steaming the normal oatly.

poly
    Free Member

What have folk tried, what’s best tasting?

Is that your only priority? Presumably the reason for considering it is ethical/environmental.

Where and how is the crop produced?
    How is the increase in demand being managed sustainably?
    How much energy goes to get from crop to white stuff in a bottle? With how much waste?
    Unless you happen to live next door to the factory making this how much transport is involved in getting it to you?
    Who owns, markets, drives, promotes this stuff? Someone is in it for profit.
    Who is funding the media hype?

cinnamon_girl

@poly not sure who you’re replying to but you’ve made very good points. I do miss buying raw Jersey milk from a local farm and also miss supporting a local business. The bottom line is that more of the population don’t care about environmental and ethical matters compared with those who do. This means for me that compromising becomes a big factor, in fact there’s been occasions when I’ve simply not bought a needed item cos my fluffy little head can’t cope with all the factors involved in making the right environmental decision.

I dunno, perhaps we need some sort of algorithm to assist in decision-making cos, bluntly, I’m finding it hard work.

highlandman
    Free Member

I agree with C_G and that’s really the point of my post above; I can understand those who use the alternatives wherever there is a genuine allergy issue in place but I worry that too much hype in the marketing is focussed on fake or marginal environmental credentials in place of the now-demonised dairy industry. Which often makes a high quality, local product, using land sustainably and providing work.. With unpleasant by-products from cow produced gases.

However, if the only reason that you make a change from dairy to alternatives is through a sense of environmental responsibility, I think that the jury is well and truly undecided on the overall benefits. Marketing is pushed by profit and profits can be made on the back of ‘healthy’ & ‘green’ images. There’s no single right answer! Freighting almonds/milk half-way around the world is crazy, just to boost the profits of large corporates.
    As ever, the one key message that we need to take on whenever looking at consumption of any products on environmental grounds, is to recognise that there are already far too many humans on this planet and that problem needs fixed….

poly
    Free Member

@cinnamon_girl I was replying to the quote in the OP!

I’m incredibly cynical about this because I have invented a novel automated milk drink robot. Here’s how my Biological Organic Vehiclular Ingredient Normalised Engineering device would be described by marketing people:

Our automonomous machines are designed so that they will self harvest a crop from a field, and immediately begin processing it via 4 biological digestion reactors inside each unit. Each bioreactor breaks down the cellulose and nutrients inside the plant based material into its component elements passing them into system which circulates this material producing both the energy to power the autonomous semi-intelligent modules and feeding a further chamber which blend water, proteins, nutrients, and a controlled amount of fats into a tank held under each unit. When the tank becomes full the units are automatically brought back to a collection area where they are drained before returning back to their duties. Each unit is adaptable to a wide range of crop types, and will automatically find its way in any enclosure to harvest the best crop. Remarkably not only do these systems operate without electricity or any fossil fuels, the main waste products they generate can automatically be spread on the ground as a fertiliser with no additional treatment. Whilst many of these units are likely to operate successfully for over 10 years, we believe optimal operation will be ~6 years, however in yet another exciting innovation in the Circular Operation World much of the byproduct of these autonomous system has been tailored to produce a protein rich entirely natural material indistinguishable from beef, and the outer membrane that protects the units from the weather can be easily transformed into a fabric suitable for high class upholstery and footwear. Initial investment in the module is likely to be < $2000 USD, with each unit able to yield at least 8000L of drinkable product per annum. Even more excitingly, with the correct conditions and the introduction of our Biological Utility Lacto Lifetime unit it is possible for the these units to self replicate, meaning you can continue to reap the benefits of totally natural production on an ongoing basis.

Of course what I have just described is a Cow!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Some interesting links for those concerned about soy production

https://corporate.lidl.co.uk/sustainability/deforestation/soy

Are dairy cows and livestock behind the growth of soya in South America?

However, if the only reason that you make a change from dairy to alternatives is through a sense of environmental responsibility, I think that the jury is well and truly undecided on the overall benefits. Marketing is pushed by profit and profits can be made on the back of ‘healthy’ & ‘green’ images.

There’s also plenty of greenwash coming from the world’s largest dairy companies who have been very keen to ‘diversify’ into plant
    -based milk (whilst also acting to ban the word ‘milk’ unless animal-sourced). Interesting (and not wholly intelligent) times we live in.

I dunno, perhaps we need some sort of algorithm to assist in decision-making cos, bluntly, I’m finding it hard work.

I know what you mean. Most of my coffee is black, and tea has oats in it. I’m not beating myself up. Neither is The vast majority of the global population who are necking milk and meat and soy* like it’s going out of fashion

*Vast majority of which is consumed by dairy/meat-eaters.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Back to the original question – since my last post I’ve tried a couple more

Morrisons unsweetened soy, which I’d have again
    Morrisons oat, which was awful – tasted very sweet

Alpro unsweetened oat is still the best I’ve had

cinnamon_girl

Alpro unsweetened oat is still the best I’ve had

@cycl1ngjb Absolutely! Step aside Oatly Barista cos Alpro unsweetened oat is far superior in coffee.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oatly Barrista here, works for me, I think it’s a bit greener than almond and soya and I prefer the taste.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Slight aside, but tried some rank dairy-free cheesy puff things from Tesco recently. Bleurgh. Like luminous orange greased balls of slightly crunchy toejam.

Then the other day chanced upon these in the Waitrose at the motorway services:

CHEEZY PEEZ! (They’re lush imo, and seems they also do a white vegan cheddar flavour)

Film-night just got better 👍🏼

fatmountain
    Free Member

Having researched it, I found many resaons to stop drinkikg dairy. Cow milk is a growth hormone fluid to super charge calves into a 1000kg cow. Not sure humans have any business drinking it tbh. Increasingly linked to prostrate, breast cancer, cow milk contains a lot of hormones an adult human almost certainly doesn’t need. I found cutting out dairy products stopped me from having room clearing gas. Studies actually show that high dairy consumption results in weaker bones, not stronger. So basically all that stuff about milk being healthy for you was just total BS to sell a product they produced too much of. Dairy cows have utterly miserable lives also, which may or may not be of concern and intensive farming is basically destroying the planet and public health while undermining the very tool on which virtually all operations depend on – antibiotics. Health professionals are saying antibiotic resistance could be “apocalyptic”.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

In a (almond) nutshell, anything is better than dairy. Interesting reading mind

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jan/28/what-plant-milk-should-i-drink-almond-killing-bees-aoe

moonsaballoon

I have been using coconut milk for the last few months at work , I work 4 on 4 off and am trying to be as vegan as I can when at work , I was feeling pretty good about it until that guardian article 🙂 still better than dairy according to them .

ads678

So I’m just starting to have a go at dropping cows milk/diary and have bought some coconut milk for my muesli and I like it. Am going to get some oat milk and try that as well. Might even give porridge with water a go…..

One of the reasons I’m trying to cut down on diary is the gas issues! I’ve always kind of thought it was wheat/oats that made me bloated, Bananas are a nightmare as well. No idea if I’m lactose intolerant or not but both my sisters are and are pretty much diary free nowadays with massively reduced gut problems so I might be the same.

One question though, how long before the farting eases off?!?!?

tomd
    Free Member

Back to the original question – since my last post I’ve tried a couple more
    Morrisons unsweetened soy, which I’d have again
    Morrisons oat, which was awful – tasted very sweet

We’re going through loads of the Morrisons oat in our house. It’s £0.89a litre so cheap, and strangely the kids seem top like it as it’s a little sweeter, thickened and flavoured. Although like you I’m not keen. It also has low/no fibre, some of the other oat milks are high fibre* which is either a bonus or a downside depending on your needs. It’s definitely a good addition to the range of dairy free milks available.

*Alpro is 1.2g/l, which adds up to a lot if you’re a small kid getting through 600ml a day.

lovewookie

we’ve bene going through the different oat milks here. Morrisons oat milk is very oaty, creamy, and not for coffee for me anyway.

however, in our quarantine search for deliverable supplies we have ended up with lots of Minor Figures Oat milk.

it’s the least oaty and most milky oat milk I’ve tried. works great in coffee and in tea. possibly a little too creamy for my liking, but I’ll live with that as the taste now means i can have coffees in the house without smuggling cow milk in. great on cereal too.

cinnamon_girl

Never heard of them so investigated. Anyone spouting hipster vibe tosh means I’m oot.

I found the Oatly Barista to be too creamy/sickly and following recommendation on here I switched to Alpro unsweetened oat.

lovewookie

Never heard of them so investigated. Anyone spouting hipster vibe tosh means I’m oot.

lol. this is the coffee industry they’re selling into, so I guess comes with the territory!

cinnamon_girl

@Malvern Rider just reporting back on your (ages ago) suggestion for carrot and swede mash, pleased to say that Oatly cream and B12 flakes worked really well so thank you for that!

cinnamon_girl

Alpro unsweetened oat drink: anyone know where I can buy this in bulk ie not supermarkets? Can find Oatly but not this.

Thanks.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

No worries CG 👍🏼 Glad it worked out.

I’m constantly trying to please us indoors with new dairy-free recipes and it gets easier in lockdown as we stocked up on Lidl soy and also Oatly. Regular Oatly is working fine for Redbush and for adding to top-off cooked porridge

Latest recipe

Luxury Fruit and Nut Porridge (microwave version)

– 1/2 cup porridge oats
    – 1 and 1/2 cups* long-life soy milk (I use sweetened)
    – Handful of sultanas (or half a diced apple, or 50/50 sultanas/apple)
    – Handful of mixed nuts (thanks again Lidl for helping us afford nuts) roughly crushed in mortar or with heavy thing + bag.
    – two good pinches of salt
    – 1 teaspoon of honey (1 and a half if soy milk is unsweetened variety)
    – sprinkle of ground nutmeg
    – Cooking time 5 minutes + 5 minutes cooling.

Mix together in microwaveable bowl/container. IMPORTANT – Ensure bowl is at least TWICE the volume/height of the mixture as it bubbles up a LOT! Not fun cleaning 😑

Cook on high for 2 minutes. Stir well
    Cook on high for another 2 minutes. Stir well.
    Cook for final 1 minute.

Let cool for 5-10 minutes. Stir in a dash of soy milk if too thick*

If you’re feeling flush and feel like a treat then top it off with a tablespoon of Oatly Creamy Oat and a dash of that there whisky 🧐🕺

For variety try adding zest of an orange into the mix. Boom.

Bliss.

* depends how thick you like yr porridge. Try this way and adjust next time to own spec.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Just a quick nod to non-dairy custard tarts, found this looks good

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

PSA

Ben & Jerry’s non-dairy cookies on cookie dough ice cream currently on sale (£3:50) at Mozzers (maybe elsewhere too?)

Have purchased this once or twice before on a blue moon at full price (normally a quid more expensive than it’s uddery cousins) and was a hit with everyone who tried it. The ice cream is subtle, creamy, yet has a tantalising tang of caramel that hits the spot. The little random pieces of cookie-dough are delightfully chewy enough to make it last a little longer, and the choc chips are nicely-sized nuggets of nom.

Shorter review: ‘Bury me in a bath of it’

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Anyone else thought use non-dairy milk in soups?

Just cooked this mushroom soup and am licking the bowl clean. Used bog standard mushroom as had too many. Oatly Barista and Kallo veg cube for stock. I followed the recipe for the most part, not missing anything out – but also added more garlic, also stick of celery and 2 med carrots chopped up finely (mirepoix). Gert lush.

Creamy oat and mushroom soup

nickc

That looks cool, thanks for the recipe

Yak

I am probably late to the party, but we have just discovered Oat-ly barista. Really good for lattes. Impressed as the last lot of regular oat milk was awful for steaming.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Have tried a few awful grated dairy-free parmesan things over the years. Found this cashew-based offering on, er, on offer today. Don’t know why but thought I’d risk it. Maybe I’m a gambling man.

All I can say is YES! Well done Willicroft. It even has a pungent pong. Pasta tonight 🙂

p7eaven
    Free Member

fancied a crumpet. Fancied a change from usual veg oil spread. Was going to try and make an online vegan butter recipe but saw this on offer in the supermarket

Turned out be horribly moreish, melty, buttery (not quite salty enough so I added a little) but now I want all the crumpet.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Xmas has started in P7eaven non-dairy realm. Today was missing a shot or three of Baileys/whisky cream liqueur – so thought how hard can it be to make?

(Roughly) chucked in a measuring jug:

– 250ml Oatly Barista
    – 250ml Lidl/generic oat milk (could gave used alk the Barista I had keft but needed to keep some for coffee)
    – 1 x Tablespoon of Stevia powder and 1 x tablespoon of sugar (again could use all sugar but am pretending to be making a nod to lower fat options 😋) – adjust to taste at the end
    – 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder (I’m using Alzera)
    – 1 teaspoon vanilla natural extract
    – about 400ml Irish whisky (add, taste, add taste etc til happy 🥳)

Zapped it with the hand-blender and tasted. Added a little more sugar. You get the idea.

Can’t believe quite how good/authentic it tastes!

Blimmin delicious on ice. As evidenced by drinking most of it before getting a pic . Merry Xmas all.

Viewing 34 posts - 121 through 154 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘Have you changed to non diary milk? which one, how’s it going?’ is closed to new replies.