• This topic has 81 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by grum.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Have you applied for any olympic tickets….
  • ampthill

So we applied for 2 velodrome days evenings. Mens pursuit and womans sprint finals.

Plus both days of the MTB

Oh and the road biking as a freebe….

I was nearly in the its expensive and rubbish camp. I’m not in general an olymipics fan. But its once in a life time…..

Ben_mw

Gave up trying last night when the screaming baby finally fell asleep and realised that she was the only thing keeping me awake whilst I watched endless messages telling me to try again later etc. Bit miffed really, fancied seeing some of the track stuff and maybe a bit of swimming. Also realised that said Baby would need a full price ticket for some of the sessions we wanted to go to even though she wouldn’t need a seat! That can’t be correct can it? Still it does mean that should the little darling start throwing a wobbler during an event I can just turn the TV volume up, rather than have to try and find somewhere to stand where she won’t annoy people.

It’s an olympics for the London commuter belt

Well, it is the London Olympics, not the England or UK Olympics.

Nick

Bit miffed really,

The ticket application thing has been open for a few weeks not just last night.

Two track sessions, fingers crossed will be there for Pendleton winning gold.
    A couple of games of footie at Old Trafford.
    Artistic Gymnastics
    Horse Jumping

lunge

Got my entry in last night:

Athletics – Relay finals
    Water Polo – Random group games
    Swimming – Another finals session
    BMX – Finals day
    Track Cycling – A random day
    Beach Volleyball – Just because…

If they all come in it will set me back around £450 for 2 people. I’ll be happiest if I get about half of them!

Ben_mw

The ticket application thing has been open for a few weeks not just last night

I know, doesn’t make me any more organised though!

thebunk

I’m a pretty unorganised type, but I was excited enough about seeing the Olympics to apply for my tickets about a month ago – if I miss out to some Jonny come lately jump on the bandwagon, didn’t want to miss out cos my mates are all doing it types, I shall be most displeased.
    😉

(Nice to see a few more crawl out of the woodwork in favour though!)

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I’ll be working at the track cycling and the boxing. Bosh!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

ratadog – it always was the “London Olympics”, never the UK. hence all the hoo-har about mtb in Essex…

Applied for BMX finals and mens mtb as its near my in-laws. Was going to apply for more, but realised the dates were all a bit spread out and its quite a trek down from Northumberland.

Can’t wait to take my lad who’ll be 4 years old 🙂

fontmoss
    Free Member

i’ve applied for loads including football, athletics, swimming, track cycling and mtb. Don’t expect to even get half of it (bloody hope not as total would come to £1200!) but if i get loads then extra swimming tickets go to my mate and i’ll see if any family or friends want to use other tickets. My family are all teachers plus got friends can stay with in london so fingers crossed it’ll work out.

yeah it’s a london olympics and i don’t go in for all that twaddle but don’t see me going to another one in this lifetime.

scaredypants

ratadog – it always was the “London Olympics”, never the UK. hence all the hoo-har about mtb in Essex

Yes, but that’s
    a) ridiculous to centre it on one city when transport is so easy worldwide, let alone between largeish cities within a country
    b) not really how it was sold to “the nation”

dave360

hmm confused now. I ticked boxes to apply for MTB and track, but having just checked my account, apparently I didn’t apply for anything. Were you supposed to pay at the time of booking? I thought that availability would be confirmed before you would be asked to cough the cash.

kimbers

according to the BBC tickets will still be available for some events and I’m sure the tours will do a roaring trade

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Yes, but that’s
    a) ridiculous to centre it on one city when transport is so easy worldwide, let alone between largeish cities within a country
    b) not really how it was sold to “the nation”

Olympic Games have never been awarded to a country and always to cities

Why are people still wingeing about London putting in a bid ane winning?

Anyway we’re down for a couple of Athletics sessions, couple of veldrome sessions, BMX and MTB. For a family of 4 that’s a £955 exposure!!!

Nick

Were you supposed to pay at the time of booking?

You should have entered your Visa card details and you will then be charged when they allocate the tickets in a couple of months time. If you haven’t done this then you won’t get any tickets.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Yes, cycling heats, swimming heats, and trampolining. It’s going to be expensive if we get all three for the four of us. We will also try and see the time trails in Hampton park…

dave360

ah. Well F that for a game of soldiers, I didn’t want all the tickets I thought I’d applied for anyway, I only booked a bunch of them to be in with a chance of getting one or two. Road race, time trial and triathlon for me then.

ac282

I doubt MTB will be sold out anyway. You’ll probably be able to get tickets when they try to sell off the excess.

dave360

my thinking eggzactly Mr82

brassneck

Athletics, mtb and triathlon .. around £200 for a family of 5 if we get them all, which isn’t too bad (for a once in a lifetime experience), doubt we will anyway.

If not, will go to TT and road anyway, and take the boys for a wander around Hyde Park / Olympic Village during the 2 weeks anyway.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I think you might be surprised I know a lot of people applying for anything as it’s “an experience” so lots of people who have no clue or interest are applying for MTB as they think that might be their only chance of getting tickets rather than the more popular, swimming, athletics etc.

Experience .. my a** sorry just not interested and it won’t be anywhere near as good as you imagine it to be. One great big disappointment 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Bugger, I missed the deadline 🙁

fasthaggis

Experience .. my a** sorry just not interested

and that’s ok ,cause that’s what you (and a lot of people are like about stuff).

Being there or watching it on the telly.

I will always choose being there.

ampthill

Munqe-chick

which olympics did you find disappointing?

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh.. just realised I will be off work for most of it. TV marathon here we come! 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I just think it will be disappointing. Yes I enjoy watching the Olympics on TV but I think events in real life never really live up to your expectations (except for Paris-Roubaix and MTB at Commonwealths in Manchester) but that’s probably because both of those events are free. Knowing you’ll be off work during Olympics in 2012 that’s impressive that you know this far ahead already.

MrTall
    Free Member

There’s a women on the BBC website who’s applied for tickets totalling £22,000 and is now praying that she doesn’t get them all!!! I think quite a few people may be in trouble with their credit cards in the coming months…..

Nick

It will be awesome to be in the Velodrome if/when Victoria Pendleton wins gold, much much better than watching it on telly, way more inspiring for my kids too. Probably won’t get tickets but might…!

thebunk

Munqe-chick – Member
    I think events in real life never really live up to your expectations

😥

brassneck

I just think it will be disappointing

Maybe, but I’m happy enough to pay a few quid just the once to find out for myself.

I’ve sat on the side of the road to watch the tour of Britain sweep by in a few seconds though so I have low requirements for entertainment.

Nick

3x over subscribed 🙁 and that means for the track cycling it will be way higher than that.

xiphon
    Free Member

MrTall

+1

Too many people take the attitude “It’s only a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, so I might as well buy the tickets… on credit card”

dave360

hmm so a lottery that you hope you don’t win. Kerazee.

aP
    Free Member

I think that all those expecting a cycling whitewash will be rather disappointed. We’ve just gone for a few events over the 2 weeks, and will see what happens.
    There’ll be more opportunities to buy tickets over the next year anyway.

fasthaggis

I never seem to find real life events disappointing (free or not).

Still, I am sure it will all be a waste of money once the oldtimers kicks in and I forget all the things I have done.

Damn this annoying ‘pint half full’ attitude .

ampthill

I saw the MTB world championships for free in America and enjoyed it. Actualy paying to watch in Essex will be cheaper!

I’ve not been to a velodrome but I’ve never met anyone who has who wasn’t blown away by it…….

ratadog

Olympic Games have never been awarded to a country and always to cities

Why are people still wingeing about London putting in a bid ane winning?[/quote

Well, the rest of us are paying for it, if not in direct taxes then in lack of investment locally and lack of available lottery funding for other projects.

In fact my point was that I was happy to give my time and skills to the event in the understanding that I probably would not see much but got asked to pay more than I could afford for the privilege of working for free.

Blackhound

Velodrome to see VP & Sir CH.
    1 athletics finals & 1 early session. Hope to see Usain Bolt in 200m heats.
    Beach volleyball & basketball early stages.
    Free one’s like marathons and cycling road race.

cookeaa

Put in for Cheapest seats for MTB for me missus and the nipper, and a single ticket (Cheapest again) for BMX finals…

Figured there’s no point setting myself up to spend hundreds, if I get the cheap seats great, but I expect the TV coverage will be pretty good so I’m not too worried if I don’t get them…

fasthaggis

Anybody heard if they got some tickets?

Got nowt 🙁

slowjo
    Free Member

Brad Wiggins couldn’t get any for his family either, they’ll be watching him on the TV at home or so it seems.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Have you applied for any olympic tickets….’ is closed to new replies.