Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 173 total)
  • Have we not done this? Cyclist v Police
  • nacho
    Free Member

Sorry if we have but I have just seen this online and wondered what the collective thought?

http://uk.autoblog.com/2012/10/01/video-police-car-s-near-miss-with-cyclist/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk%7Cdl11%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D129895

alpin
    Free Member

copper = arschloch

easygirl

Cyclist-asswipe
    Cycling in middle of road
    Copper no where near him 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Police car in a bus lane?

wrecker
    Free Member

He’s not done the police any favours at all there. It’s precisely this type of behaviour which sours attitudes to the police service.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Is it standard police practice to ask the public ‘Have you have a problem with me?’ and then argue. Arent they supposed to avoid arguments and calm situations?

druidh
    Free Member

Not when you’re as cool as he obviously thinks he is.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Copper no where near him

Undertaking copper. Case closed, guilty as sin.

nacho
    Free Member

My first thought was as PP above although I’m not sure I would have chased him down!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I flippin’ would have!

And I’d have had a better argument than that too. And I’d have told him I had him on film. Then I’d have gone straight to the station. He should know better.

neninja
    Free Member

On this occasion, the policeman is in the wrong. The manner of his driving is somewhat dodgy – it looked more than 30mph, undertaking in a bus lane and too close to the bicycle.

Plus the ‘have you got a problem with me’ as soon as the window opens and then just driving off leaving the cyclist in the middle of the road.

As above, that kind of attitude tempers peoples opinion of the police. Fortunately, I only seem to have met the polite, helpful ones.

martinhutch

The copper clearly needs to go back into training.

Surely the guideline response to any challenge to their conduct by a member of the public is to threaten to nick them for a public order offence?

Northwind

The driving was bad, but the chat afterwards is what I’d expect him to get busted for tbh.

jota180
    Free Member

Copper should be investigated for dangerous driving and failing to supply his details.

I do however think that there’s a lot of cyclists out there that ‘arm’ themselves with cameras and court confrontation, didn’t look like it happened here though

warton
    Free Member

Surely the guideline response to any challenge to their conduct by a member of the public is to Pepper spray them, beat them, and then [s]threaten to[/s] nick them for a public order offence?

bigjim

Cop is doing it wrong, not being violent enough for the Met, aggressive yes, but not quite there. Good cowardly running away skills though! I wouldn’t have chased after them though, didn’t seem tooo close.

neil853
    Free Member

Policeman was a bell end. Knew he was in the wrong instantly, fair play to the cyclist for asking for the badge number.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

What an a**hole! He seems to have deliberately cut in as close as possible to teach the cyclist a lesson for blocking his way for what I count as 6 seconds.

cookeaa

Undertaking isn’t strictly speaking illegal is it though, just frowned on. Of course using a bus lane to do it though is though I’d have thunked (unless he was on a shout, which he clearly wasn’t)…
    Differentiating between when it is and isn’t appropriate to apply that “advanced Driver training” is a toughy no doubt…

The thing is of course that very few “Regular” MET probably roam about London in Range Rovers wearing **** sunglasses do they?

I expect there was a “proper” reason he probably didn’t want to be held up for too long at a set of lights by some Mary on a push bike; i.e. the longer he’s sat there, the more chance someone will try to nab the SA80 he left unsecured in the boot while nipping out for a Latte and copy of Razzle…

Personally I wouldn’t monkey with a Rozzer who shows all the key signs of Really, Really wishing he was Andy McNab…

DezB
    Free Member

I do however think that there’s a lot of cyclists out there that ‘arm’ themselves with cameras and court confrontation

HOORAY! I’ve been waiting for one of those for ages!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Great attitude – just remind him that he is policing by consent.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

He seems to have deliberately cut in as close as possible to teach the cyclist a lesson for blocking his way for what I count as 6 seconds

This. It was a punishment pass

mikeconnor
    Free Member

I do however think that there’s a lot of cyclists out there that ‘arm’ themselves with cameras and court confrontation

and why do you think that is? because all drivers are courteous, polite and considerate?

The manner of the undertake suggested the police officer was trying to teah the cyclist a lesson for getting in his way. he does seem to veer sharply to the right in fronto f the cyclist, when he could quite eaily have continued straight and not have cut the cyclist up so badly. looked very like some of the aggressive driving i witness every day inLondon.

The offier’s mistake is that he did that move in front of a cyclist ‘armed up’ with a cmaera. disgusting behaviour from somoene in his position, and I hope he is suitably repremanded for it.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

normally I can see it from both sides, but that policeman is a complete asshat……and surely he should be displaying his number?

at least in Scotland we have QUALITY POLIS MAN!!!

richmtb

Par for the course for a Range Rover driver I’d have thought.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

there, the more chance someone will try to nab the SA80 he left unsecured in the boot while nipping out for a Latte and copy of Razzle…

Why would a copper have an SA80 in the boot? 😕

heuer27
    Free Member

Both were acting like plums. Sad fact of life there are far too many plums in the world.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Surely the cyclist should be in the bus lane?
    I dont know of any bus lane that you cannot cycle- was he turning right – seems to edit it where he RLJ’s to catch the copper as well =- I think I probably would have as well tbh

Copper was not that close , but he was too close and i would expect far more from a copper if not a normal driver.
    I cannot hear the commentray at work so I cannot judge

devs
    Free Member

There’s only one course of action now -Riots and looting. Is that what traffic cops wear down south or is that some kind of special uniform? He was in the wrong for sure.

druidh
    Free Member

I thought that too. He obviously had to be out there to overtake the bus, and then that red van pulling out on the left was way out across the Stop/Give Way line. Maybe he was planning to take a right at the next lights? Either way, if he’d pulled into the bus lane the Range Rover would likely have flattened him.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Both were acting like plums

Surely the cyclist should be in the bus lane?

i’m confused as to what the cyclist did wrong? He was turning right up ahead and he was in the turn-right lane. There was possibly 7-8 seconds where he could pull into the bus lane? Are you saying that is what he did wrong?

ormondroyd
    Free Member

The bus lane doesn’t lead into a right turn lane

Northwind

Junkyard – Member

was he turning right

Driver says “You were in the wrong lane for going straight on” and he says “I’m not going straight on”.

He could have moved left but then rejoining the righthand lane might not be easy, and given it’s stop-start traffic and he wasn’t slow, he didn’t really delay anyone by staying right. Judgement call but I’d have stayed right too.

(though, personally I reckon it doesn’t actually matter whether you really delay anyone; some drivers will become wroth just because there’s a cyclist in front of them regardless. So it’s not about right or wrong as a cyclist, as much as it is about being pragmatic and avoiding angering the one ton boxes. Yes this is crap but it’s realistic I reckon)

cookeaa

Why would a copper have an SA80 in the boot?

your absoutely right more than likely it would be an MP5

Junkyard
    Free Member

He was turning right up ahead

“You were in the wrong lane for going straight on” and he says “I’m not going straight on”.

Ah right, as I said in my original post I had no sound – he was in the right lane for turning right and i would have stayed there too – he still RLJ’s [and cuts it out ] when he gives chase

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Why would a copper have an SA80 in the boot?

Beaten to it by cookeaa.

steviecapt
    Free Member

typical of some officers they dont practice what they preach, may be he should be demoted and put on a push bike then we could cut him up see what he has to say then? looks like the numpties ego was bigger than his car, or should that be d-ck.

thorpie
    Free Member

I didn’t think the ‘copper’ was that close and I think the cyclist was over the top, that said the ‘copper’ didn’t do himself any favours! I am both (‘copper’ and cyclist) and believe me there are plenty of anti cyclists in the job, but as said professionalism and treating people with respect should come way before opinion.

Trevor.

GrahamS

he still RLJ’s [and cuts it out ] when he gives chase

How do you know?

Dickyboy

I didn’t think the ‘copper’ was that close and I think the cyclist was over the top, that said the ‘copper’ didn’t do himself any favours!

Well said, if cyclist was turning right ahead then early arm signal would have been in order no? & undertake would then be perfectly legit anyway.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 173 total)

The topic ‘Have we not done this? Cyclist v Police’ is closed to new replies.