Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 258 total)
  • Have we had a Top Gear thread yet?
  • martinhutch

If you let me drive fancy cars, travel the world and paid me you could take all the piss out of me you wanted.

There was always pisstaking and pranks in the Clarkson/May/Hammond era, but I can’t remember anything physical like Harris getting manhandled like that, and even the ‘banter’ seems to have a slightly nasty edge to it. As others have said, when viewers start getting uncomfortable watching the interplay, it’s not working.

McGuinness is great, though. TBH, McGuinness, Harris and Rory would have worked well for me.

Pz_Steve

This will probably get me flamed, but I’d love to see Flintoff replaced by Olivia Coleman: a proper petrolhead, sharp as a very sharp thing (well able to put & keep “the lads” in their place) and ratings royalty to boot. Would also mean it’s 3 very different personas, rather than 2 northern “lads” Vs one techie geek.

Yeah, I know it would be slated by the kind of viewer who’d struggle to accept a woman in more than a token “Sabine” role, but I reckon a couple of episodes would sort that out. And the yanks wouldn’t need sub-titles for her pieces to camera.

YMMV of course…

kelvin

You won’t get flamed by me.

kelvin

Enjoyed that.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

First episode was great. Last 2 have gone downhill, agree with everyone, freddy is crap at reading and it was so 80s playground, bullying the geek. Im out!

maccruiskeen

McGuinness is great, though.

He’s enough of a professional to keep his bullying behaviour off camera.

w00dster

maccruiskeen – tongue in cheek remark or you know something we don’t?
    Not a fan myself, was always going to be a difficult act to follow the Clarkson, Hammond and May version of the show.
    I wasn’t the biggest fan of that show either, preffered 5th Gear myself. But at least with Clarkson and co they had a mixture of larking about in expensive cars whilst also being knowledgable, witty and whilst scripted, not wooden.
    Even McGuinness to me is too scripted, Freddie is woeful. It would be like having me discuss cricket (I’ve played it twice at school). Or me presenting a car programme (I know where the petrol goes and passed my driving test)

butcher

Not really liking it thus far.

The show was getting tired with Clarkson, Hammond and May, so I might be in a minority when I thought the new cast and format gave it a new lease of life. It became more of a car show again which gave it some genuine substance between the gags and general silliness (which Top Gear once had).

All they’ve done now is cast 2 new guys who know nothing about cars, creating a parody of Clarkson era shows, less funny, less knowledgeable, and following the same tired format.

Agree with what’s been said so far. McGuiness is OK. Flintoff is a bit of a bully and full of himself. Harris is the best thing on there but brought down to the level of the other two with cheap gags and scripted ‘banter’. It’s a dying show.

maccruiskeen

Don’t talk to him about his hair. Even if its your job to.

BigJohn

Clarkson, May and Hammond were 3 witty friends playing exaggerated versions of themselves. The current lot are 3 men playing exaggerated (diminished?) versions of Clarkson, May and Hammond.

kerley
    Free Member

but I’d love to see Flintoff replaced by Olivia Coleman

where do I sign, although Olivia is actually funny rather than having to rely on a script so may be wasted.

maccruiskeen

Clarkson, May and Hammond were 3 witty friends playing exaggerated versions of themselves. The current lot are 3 men playing exaggerated (diminished?) versions of Clarkson, May and Hammond.

they’re all playing the same role  – the one that the format demands. Clarkson Clegg and Foggy were just the first people tasked with doing it. We knew it was all scripted when they were doing it but we can’t pretend its not scripted when you stand anyone else in their place –  Its the Format are what make tv shows marketable so the producers/commissioners can’t deviate from it.

“Format, format, format. Repetition, repetition, repetition.” as someone said at a BBC conference recently. And thats always the first question – can we turn this thing into a format?

(the second question is “can we put ‘My big fat’ in the title?”)

w00dster

The format could work and has done recently, to me its about the people.
    Who would have thought a wealthy ex-politician would be interesting to watch doing railway journeys, or watching three men in a boat would be good, or even watching two middle aged men eat in restraunts would be funny (The Trip). For me, its the mix of the format (including scenery) and the people. If the people aren’t knowledgable, irksome and bullying, then unless they are aiming squarely at teens/twenty’s market, then it won’t work.

tthew

He’s enough of a professional to keep his bullying behaviour off camera

Bloke at work’s son works at Chester Racecourse and was serving drinks etc. to him in one of the posh stands. He didn’t have a nice thing to say about his behavior. Thinks rather too much of himself, and too little of other people apparently.

maccruiskeen

The format could work and has done recently, to me its about the people.

its exhaustible though – and thats not the people thing. A lot of it revolves around reviewing (gushing about) top and cars filmed from a Russian Arm with a stirring sound track. Long before the bants got tiring there seemed to just not be enough cars to gush about. It can seem like they can give quite a lot a screen time to a car they’ve already talked about but which is now without a radio and so cost more and the result is infinitesimally different and a bit uncomfortable.

Its a shame because for the first time in a long time there are some genuinely interesting topics in motoring but TG would have to evolve quite radically to be the right platform for them. It could make room for an interesting item in the format – but it just seems to be the wrong format now.

butcher

its exhaustible though

It was exhausted when Clarkson was there.

Like you say, there’s plenty of scope to add genuinely interesting topics, and they can still do all the funny and stupid shit in between.

There was a time it had a decent balance, they obviously seen that the stupid shit sold to the audience, so they gradually over time took out all the fundamental ingredients and left it with little other than a bunch of middle aged men taking the piss out of each other for an hour. Which can be funny enough, but after several dozen episodes of the same jokes, so obviously scripted…

Harry_the_Spider

Less “nastyness” from Freddie. I wonder if there had been a spot of re-editting after the negative publicity of recent weeks.

I thought the Matra looked ace and it was a shame to knock it about, but I found an article about the previous owner and it had been crashed previously and patched up, then flogged on for a couple of grand.

Nice to see somebody stick the boot into the vulgar SUV market too. That Roller was terrible, like the Bullingdon Club on wheels.

precutduck
    Free Member

I felt the way they handled the sensitive situation was great. It would have been easy not to show the piece at all, but the Ghurkas worked hard, and deserved to be shown. The end was especially fitting.

Kryton57

I got tired of Flintoff this week, he’s not engaging enough for continual watching in my book.

stumpy01

Yeah, I liked the way that they handled the issue with Brunei & the article about the Rolls Royce was pretty good. You could really feel the disdain that Chris Harris had for it.

The Borneo/Brunei trip was a bit crap & very similar to the other jungle trip they did years ago.

Weirdly, this series seems to have got worse as it’ gone on. I was quite optimistic after the first couple of episodes but as mentioned by plenty above, there is a bit too much bullying and awkward bantz…..
    Paddy & Freddy are pretty awkward & not very good when having to talk to camera & there were points in yesterday’s interview with Bob Mortimer that were painful; with stilted laughter & Freddie looking around like he didn’t really want to be there.

It’s a shame that Matt le Blanc left. They were all into their stride during the last series & it kinda looks like back to square one now.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I rather enjoyed it. The Borneo trip was entertaining and as precutduck said, the Gurkhas were as much the stars of that segment as Flintoff and McGuinness so it had to be shown. Painting the cars in rainbow colours and airing the episode over pride month was a decent idea too.

It was very refreshing to see Harris being allowed to give his honest opinion on the Rolls. He’s absolutely right, it is utterly hideous and clumsily chintzy from the outside. It will be bought by people with immense wealth, but no taste.

andy8442
    Free Member

I tried to watch last nights episode, but it was beyond pants.

Dear BBC

The international cash cow that was Top Gear is dead. Move on.

johndoh
    Free Member

We have watched the first two episodes and quite liked them – we were properly laughing at the electric shock race in the second episode.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Its mildly entertaining, but its also bindun before. Theres too much glossing over stuff and overly contrived stuff going on. I want “believe” the presenters fully (although Chris Harris is pretty convincing).
    I do wonder if this series is just running the meter to the final “phut” and then the lights go out?

timmys

I’m still enjoying it but getting a bit tired of the overseas challenges where the cars are totally inappropriate. Would have enjoyed see the Mantra in some kind of “super-rare cheapo sports cars as everyday runners on our roads” kinda thing much more. Kudos for the way they handled the political stuff though.

I also really liked Chris putting the boot in the the Roller. I can only imagine how Rory Reid would have been spaffing over it.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It was very refreshing to see Harris being allowed to give his honest opinion on the Rolls. He’s absolutely right, it is utterly hideous and clumsily chintzy from the outside. It will be bought by people with immense wealth, but no taste.

Yep, exactly the people it’s aimed at so a perfectly designed car. These things are status symbols..its irrelevant that us ‘erberts don’t like them because we can’t afford them, that’s the point. I bet its lovely inside though and drives like a dream.

I’m not sure I like the look of any of the big SUV’s….it’s kind of hard to make such a huge boxy thing look attractive. The RR looks a bit less gopping than the offerings from Maserati, Lambo and the others…but only a little bit. But then I don’t think RR has ever made an attractive car ever…they all have presence and an air about them, but I’ve never thought of them as being nice looking cars.

But TG is crap. Clarkson and the gang thrashed the format to within an inch of its life and got out/were kicked out at just the right time. The new TG stands zero chance of being half as popular. Nothing is new and fresh, just all a re-hash of what’s been done before and not as well done as it was done before. I can’t stand Paddy McGuinness anyway so was always onto a non-starter for me anyway, and though the three of them are putting on the lad act, for me they’re not gelling as well as Clarkson, May and Hammond did…all feels a bit forced and awkward – might change over time if the show lasts long enough but as the BBC is becoming more and more ultra PC I’m not sure a programme like TG has a future full stop. The BBC is now way too political to even have a show about planet killing cars and expensive things only a small percentage of us can afford. One to record and scan through in 10 minutes.

Drac

We have watched the first two episodes and quite liked them – we were properly laughing at the electric shock race in the second episode.

Is that the one where Harris ‘bullied’ Paddy but let’s not mention that one.

butcher

I’m finding it very hard to watch two guys talk about stuff which you feel they ordinarily have no interest in.

Flintoff singing the praises of British Leyland for example. It doesn’t work at all.

Chris Harris was great.

PrinceJohn

BBC is becoming more and more ultra PC

How can you be too PC?

tpbiker
    Free Member

How can you be too PC

I would have thought that was fairly obvious..

Drac

Flintoff singing the praises of British Leyland for example. It doesn’t work at all.

It wouldn’t for anyone they were shit.

Drac

This week’s was excellent. Some sillyness but then some great sensible sections, even Harris was watchable.

Harry_the_Spider

Yep, I thought it was pretty good too. Probably the best so far.

Freddie’s less pleasant behaviour seems to have been cut out and the bit on the Lotus 79 was very good. I knew that it was a Ground Effect car, but I didn’t know how it sealed itself to the track surface.

Bring on the next series.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Harris buying tips bit is ace.

nofx
    Free Member

Did no one else notice Flintoff dropped the nut on Harris a couple of weeks ago? I thought it was karmic when the hurses storage door hit Flintoff in the forehead.

kelvin

Wow!

kelvin

Loved the Formula off-road.

tthew

Lotus 79 film was the best thing they’ve done for a long time. Genuinely interesting. Awesome car, loved the fact the engineer hung out of the back of a Renault 4 van to assess the best design.

athgray
    Free Member

Lotus 79 film was the best thing they’ve done for a long time. Genuinely interesting. Awesome car, loved the fact the engineer hung out of the back of a Renault 4 van to assess the best design.

^This. Fascinating technical insight into ground effect.

hodgynd
    Free Member

I also liked the Icelandic off road..they also explained Freddies role in the show prior to showing the footage ..in as much that he has no fear and will tackle anything ..or put another way ..he is as thick as a brick and is daft enough to get himself hurt..which is pretty much spot on.
    Not a bad effort for their first series ..

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 258 total)

The topic ‘Have we had a Top Gear thread yet?’ is closed to new replies.