Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)
  • Have we drooled over the new Swarf frames yet?
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

Never mind the blog, check his Instagram if you actually want more info. Or here’s a better idea, if you want one but have concerns speak to him rather than slagging him off in a place he can’t readily defend himself. Have a **** word with yourselves.

funkmasterp

Pity he doesn’t have an account on here. I for one think he makes great bikes. Well tested, designed for our climate and simple in the best possible sense of the word. Much nicer than the identikit carbon bikes with more bearings than gears.

chiefgrooveguru
    ayjaydoubleyou

I’m not against the idea of a steel flex stay, just curious how it works.
    Carbon flex stays on other bikes seem to have a more exaggerated oval/rectangle profile for more vertical compliance vs side to side movement.

An interesting added point alluded to above, flexing the stays takes energy, as opposed to a bearing design where the action of the suspension is nominally resistance free.

This non-adjustable spring is then going to need to be compensated for via the shock, but interested to see how.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Pity he doesn’t have an account on here.

Pretty sure he does.

funkmasterp

I hope he sees this then and posts something. I’m coming across as a borderline stalker now but I think his frames are a cut above the majority of what’s out there. If I had the money the 130 or Contour would be top of my list.

joshvegas
    Free Member

If I was to step out my door the first bije related business of any kind I would come to in swarf.

Want me to take some photos through the windows you wee stalker?

kelvin

flexing the stays takes energy

What do you think suspension does?

mildred

I suppose it’s very much each to their own, but they do nothing for me. That warranty is fussy (and short) – I accept it’s the builders prerogative and all that but as mentioned it does discount the majority of UK adult males once kitted up ready to go.

I know folk have said that it’s likely that the frames will stand way more weight than that, but if this is the case why wouldn’t the builder show faith in his product and warranty it?

I’m a fan of steel frames and currently have a Flaremax on order. I have nothing against Swarf and actually admire anyone who starts up a business building frames in this day and age, but this just isn’t for me.

RustyNissanPrairie

flexing the stays takes energy
    What do you think suspension does?

This comment was picking up on what I posted in that by the suspension action having to flex the seatstay this would reduce the amount of small bump compliance available. I don’t know if this would be noticeable when ridden?

I expect that if you took a shock off the 155frame and cycled it through its travel that it would have some resistance through its suspension movement due to having to bend the seatstays, as opposed to a 4bar or linkage actuated single pivot with a full complement of bearings that would feel smooth with no resistance when the shock is removed and the suspension cycled.

There are clearly some forces at play in the 155 pivotless back end as a small brace has been added between the chain and seatstays. I just don’t know why you wouldn’t add a bearing/pivot? The upper seatstay pivot bearing would also thank you for it not having to deal with those tube flexing forces being applied to it.

brant
    Free Member

The flex that the Swarf seatstay sees is super small because of the way he’s run his linkages. With the amount of tweak frames have to get them to set to alignment it’s funny some on here are losing their shit over something they simply isn’t an issue.

And as for those losing more over the weight limit. Oh my days.

It’s so cool that there are so many options out there now, for people wanting safe, chummy, Chinese made frames whose huge margins mean they can offer ludicrous warranties and mega bucks promos and sponsored riders. Alongside super small brands making weird stuff in the U.K.

Still puzzled why people can’t see it’s like football, and some people will always back the big teams and some people love supporting the smaller local sides.

brant
    Free Member

The upper seatstay pivot bearing would also thank you for it not having to deal with those tube flexing forces being applied to it.

It’s a bearing. It doesn’t know. Does it?

funkmasterp

Want me to take some photos through the windows you wee stalker?

Yes 😀

and also what Brant said too. Someone will be along in a sec to accuse you of making overly expensive clothes that don’t fit them properly and that’s not fair.

RustyNissanPrairie

It’s a bearing. It doesn’t know. Does it?

You know what i mean

chiefgrooveguru

Regarding the effect of the flex stay on the suspension, this suggests that Adrian has probably considered it:

https://www.swarfcycles.co.uk/test.html

endomick
    Free Member

Nothing to drool over, does it look like a £3k frame NO, looks like meccano to me, the hardware looks like whatever was rolling around in the workshop spares drawer, good job there’s no horst link you’d probably snag yourself on it, the main pivot bearing clamping arrangement isn’t exactly sleek and modern, are there any bearing shields on the pivots, can’t really tell from the pics, then there’s an IS brake mount and 44mm headtube like its from the middle of the previous decade.

kelvin

Why would you not use an IS mount and a 44mm headtube on a steel frame?

brant
    Free Member

Ah here we go:-

the stay flexes a total of 6mm (3mm up and 3mm down), the steel stays have no issue whatsoever with this small amount of flex.

https://www.swarfcycles.co.uk/blog/swarf-full-suspension-a-brief-history-part-15633199

Northwind

Adrian at Swarf is a proper data nerd… my own first instinct is that a bearing would make more sense despite the small movement, just because of the force needed to “spring” the seatstay and the return force. But that’d be the first thing he thought about too, after establishing there was no fatigue issue, and he’ll have mathsed and tested the crap out of it. And it is at the end of the day all controlled by a spring anyway and the less controlled forces out there will be pretty small in the grand scheme. Since it made it to production then it’s not stopping the bike from working exactly how he wants it.

Or, put it another way, I’m not going to see some glaring issue he’s not thought of and neither most likely is anyone else on here.

continuity
    Free Member

Super expensive, pretty heavy, pretty ugly, and with dodgy warranties. Probably why I’m not droooling yet.

funkmasterp

£500 more than a Rocket Max for frame only but handmade by one guy. It’s steel, there’s always a slight weight penalty. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that. I think it’s the best looking full sus out there. Mainly because they’re all pretty ugly and this one looks like a hardtail. So a much more pleasing aesthetic to my eyes.

What’s dodgy about the warranty? The fact that he’s stipulated a weight limit?

We all like different things but some of you are just being dicks.

chiefgrooveguru

“ We all like different things but some of you are just being dicks.”

This kind of behaviour is why I stopped reading or posting on a UK forum in my business’s (and other main hobby’s) sector. You can be making world acclaimed products with amazing reviews from owners and publications but a small selection of men from your own country are on a weird mission to find problems with everything you do. It’s depressing but I think it says more about the forumites than the product or manufacturer.

edd

I absolutely love the 155 and have been talking to Adrian about ordering one for a while. He asked me to wait for the new website, so I’ve just emailed to get myself on the waiting list. Super excited!

nickc

Wow, what a thread, I would’ve thought a single owner-operator making “pretty cool things”  would be very much up the STW demographic, no..?

Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that, but as suss frames go, I think it looks pretty cool, bet it looks nicer in the flesh though as websites never do the real thing justice in my experience. Looks a hoot to ride

Hope it sells well.

mashr

That’s a poor example, we aren’t comparing a big thick chunky coil or leaf spring (both of which commonly fail)

Commonly fail because there’s an incredible amount of them, not because failure rate is high.

the hardware looks like whatever was rolling around in the workshop spares drawer,

Non-proprietary parts on a MTB?! Never catch on

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I previously slagged off the looks which is just peoples tastes, but the flack for the flex-stay is unfounded, such a small amount of flex will be well within the elastic limit. You will likely feel some resistance with the shock removed but the flex-stay will be acting as a spring and this will accounted for when you set the sag. For people looking for a full suspension with modern geometry that looks like an old steel frame I imagine this ticks all the boxes.

Thanks to whoever shared the blog section of the website, a really interesting read and some really interesting frames/bikes on there, I really like the look of the old carbon fibre back end:

bike

It’s really interesting to read through the process of the design iterations. It’s also nice to see someone with a good engineering background going through this process instead of the cowboys behind some other boutique bike brands.

chakaping
    Free Member

This kind of behaviour is why I stopped reading or posting on a UK forum in my business’s (and other main hobby’s) sector. You can be making world acclaimed products with amazing reviews from owners and publications but a small selection of men from your own country are on a weird mission to find problems with everything you do. It’s depressing but I think it says more about the forumites than the product or manufacturer.

And on here it often appears to be unhappy middle-aged men who don’t seem to ride any more, but want to assert their superior knowledge about something they’ve just taken a cursory glance at.

Do they not realise how pathetic they are? Or do they know, but carry on anyway?

Am I just noticing it more on here or has it got worse this last year, as the dullards drive other users away?

sirromj

It’s drool from me!

funkmasterp

For people looking for a full suspension with modern geometry that looks like an old steel frame I imagine this ticks all the boxes.

Exactly this. It’s clear that a lot of time and effort has gone in to testing too if you take the time to read Adrian’s posts. I’m not a big fan of swooping lines, complex shapes or over complex shock designs. Hence why I love the look of Swarf’s frames. To my eye they look like a bike should and seem to be designed for folk who want to get out and ride in all weathers with minimum fuss and upkeep.

For the time being I’ll stick with my Stooge Dirtbomb and build a Swarf in my head.

cookeaa

I like it, can’t afford it, probably close to the weight limit but it still appeals despite me being a grumpy middle-aged man… I must be broken or something.

then there’s an IS brake mount and 44mm headtube like its from the middle of the previous decade.

So the most adaptable headtube and brake mounting standard are a bad thing because they weren’t invented ten minutes ago?

Flex stays aren’t a new or particularly groundbreaking concept either, using steel’s elastic properties to eliminate the need for another set of bearings is a perfectly acceptable idea.

Spurious bullshit reasons to dislike things that nobody is forcing you to buy? Peak internetting.

But don’t worry, SBC, Trek, giant, Santa Cruz or any of the other purveyors of overpriced cookiecutter dandyhorses will happily take similar sums from you for their products with lots of welds, bearings and soon to be superseded “standards”…

joebristol

I think it looks great tbh – I’d probably prefer it to have a Horst link – but there are loads of bikes out there now with flex stays and steel can be built to have flex so it’s a non issue here.

The cost is a lot – but if it’s British hand made from quality steel tubing and there are the known Covid issues around shipping and supply then it all adds up.

I couldn’t personally justify the cost and don’t have any desire for a steel full suss bike – they’re generally heavier than alloy or carbon and I don’t see the benefit in the steel other than the look in this case.

For reference, I bought a custom steel hardtail though as I can see the (theoretical) benefit of steel in a hardtail. I suspect mine is overbuilt and probably doesn’t actually have that much flex (Marino) as I went for the cheaper option – but it’s a step up in reduction of buzz over my last alloy hardtail. Bigger tyres could be making more difference though.

I wonder what’s driving the 90kg weight limit on the warranty side of things – I’m 5’9 and until I lost a bit of weight recently I was 82kgs without being enormously fat. Add a few litres of water plus tools and that’s getting on for the limit as it is. This realistically restricts he bike to shorter riders or tall thin ones.

At the end of the day you pay your money and make your choice – we’re all different and it would be boring if we weren’t 🤷‍♂️

mildred

Playing the devil’s advocate here but an internet presence is probably essential these days in order to attract customers, and with an internet presence come keyboard warriors… otherwise known as potential customers???

Contrary to what Brant says, I can’t see anyone here losing their shit over the lack of a seat stay pivot; people are commenting/critiquing based on their knowledge (no doubt influenced by other manufacturers internet presence) and preferences. It’s an internet discussion forum – people are allowed to do this.

I admire what Swarf are doing, I like the hardtail aesthetic he’s going for but there are other bits I don’t like… that’s my personal opinion/taste/aesthetic at work. Seeing as this is the internet and the internet has given me a voice, then I’m choosing to use my voice. Doesn’t make me a hater, just voicing an opinion.

In the past some of the so called forum “big hitters” have been admonished for bullying posts. If someone’s opinion differed to theirs they set about them like internet pack animals. This thread is creeping a little close to this. People are allowed to voice their opinions without being described as a hater or similar.

kelvin

keyboard warriors… otherwise known as potential customers???

Experience says it can be better not to have them as customers, and instead deal with more genuine people who appreciate what you are making, and are asking questions to find things out rather than off hand rubbish your work.

honourablegeorge

Think it’s a lovely looking thing, but that 90kg limit rules me out – suspect it will rule out a lot of folks at the larger end of the sizing. I’m guessing the limit is related tot hat flex pivot and the amount of force and flex it’s designed for.

muggomagic

The 155 does look nice. I wonder how that weight limit would be enforced. Do you have to send in a picture of you on the scales when submitting a claim?

grahamt1980

Am surprised at the number of people complaining about the weight limit. And secretly impressed they have managed to use a keyboard given their pudgy fingers must hit 3 keys at once

I think they look cool, may get one in the future

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Am surprised at the number of people complaining about the weight limit. And secretly impressed they have managed to use a keyboard given their pudgy fingers must hit 3 keys at once

I use a dialing wand.

honourablegeorge

grahamt1980

Am surprised at the number of people complaining about the weight limit.

The “average man” who weighs 84kg is only 5’9″

Even allowing for cyclists being a bit fitter/lighter than average (which isn’t always the case), most folks closer to 6′ and above will be close to the limit or beyond it.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

If a company can’t take some mild criticism off some randoms on the internet who have given no evidence of their credentials to give said criticism then you are right, they should stay off the internet. At the same time there’s loads of (Sick!) companies out there, who appear to have no engineering credentials producing bikes. This thread and the criticism has only boosted Swarfs profile and apparent quality, in the face of a pretty restrictive warranty and what at first sight appeared to be just another steel full sus but for more money than a cotic rocket. I’d say this thread has benefited them on the whole.

militantmandy
    Free Member

as an owner of a Starling, the looks definitely appeal to me. I see them out quite often where I ride and they are really lovely things in the flesh.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.