Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Have we done vegans yet?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I bet they’ll have a lovely big vegan feature in that mag sometime soon.

Already had a whole vegan edition, IIRC, including  No meaty adverts.

DezB
    Free Member

Food writers though… what a pointless existence. Death is actually too good for them.

kerley
    Free Member

And yet, Islay is overrun with wild goats that are eating all the plants! Eating one of them would be good for everyone, but that poor American lass got shouted at on the internet…

Controlling animal populations in not really about eating them (although if you are going to kill them you should eat them them at least)

The American lass got shouted at because she was shooting them for a laugh and then posing like some sort of hero for doing so.

kid.a
    Free Member

The universal rule of “don’t be a dick” applies here.

andypaul99
    Free Member

Its normally the ‘new’ Vegans that are pretty hardcore in my experience, debating them is near impossible.

Im speaking from personal experience being a Vegan from 2013 to 2016 when i look back on myself i was an absolute shit.

Its only when you truly live that lifestyle full time and fail you kind of realise why there are actually very few long term  GENUINE vegans out there.

If you are long term i actually admire you.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

The American lass got shouted at because she was shooting them for a laugh

I thought she was shooting them for a business?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have many friends who live a Vegan lifestyle but would never refer to themselves as Vegan purely because people are dicks.

I would never debate with a Vegan or someone who lives a Vegan lifestyle about their beliefs because its none of my business how they live their lives or what they choose to eat. And I try not to be a dick.

I firmly believe the often aggressive reaction to someone’s else’s choice of lifestyle or diet is down to a feeling of guilt. I believe that deep down most would agree that the meat industry is not a very nice one with regards to animal welfare and our current level of consumption of meat is not sustainable for ever and not the most efficient use of resources given that there are a lot of people around the globe that are starving.

“But bacon though” is about as articulate as most people get once confronted with the reality of their own lifestyle choice.

Oh, and pigs are a lot more cleverer than dogs. I do believe that they really do know what is going on once they are winched onto the conveyor surrounded by the smell reminiscent of a first world war battle field.

I am not a Vegan or Vegetarian but I do feel the guilt that I do not care enough or have the compassion to make the leap.

andypaul99
    Free Member

I firmly believe the often aggressive reaction to someone’s else’s choice of lifestyle or diet is down to a feeling of guilt.

Or when the Vegan is missguided, the honey agrument is a classic.

walleater

“I have many friends who live a Vegan lifestyle but would never refer to themselves as Vegan purely because people are dicks.”

Yep, that’s a problem on both sides of the fence! I’m vegan but am the first to admit that many are nauseating. But on the other hand, telling people that one is vegan often ends in defensive dickish comments from meat eaters so I just tend to do my thing and let everyone battle it out.

As for honey, I don’t consume it, but don’t know too much about the ins and outs of production so again so when a meat eater starts banging on about it I just internally roll my eyes and get on with my life. I just don’t need it in my life and don’t consider food to be a big deal.

kid.a
    Free Member

I’m not too worried about honey. Don’t consume it very often. Mostly it’s in some cereal bars or somewhat.

I understand the issue.

It is hillarious when you mention to people the “proper” vegans don’t eat honey either, that tips them over the edge haha!

duckman

High 5’s Walleater.There are actually more of us on here than might appear obvious, there was a thread sharing recipes about a year or so ago that ran to a few pages. We blend in because…well; we blend in.

imnotverygood

Ignoring the ‘vegan’ aspect of this: This was an e-mail to a free-lancer bidding an idea. Sounds a pretty arrogant and belittling response to me. Given the context I can see why the bloke got the shove. (Disclaimer. I am neither freelance nor a journalist.)

tomhoward

Given the context I can see why the bloke got the shove.

He didnt. He resigned.

andypaul99
    Free Member

A great deal of vegan content especially on social media platforms is so heavily biased towards the cause that it becomes toxic.

When i was Vegan i was telling everybody not to eat honey because ‘ it kills bee’s’ , ‘ we are stealing their food’ . It was only when i properly researched the topic and met with beekeepers that i realised what i had been preaching was utter bollocks.

It wss at that point i realised there was absolutely no point in holding banners outside Mc Donalds but should have been outside ICI or any other firm that is producing the insecticides that pose the biggest threat to all life.

Rant over!

ransos
    Free Member

Or when the Vegan is missguided, the honey agrument is a classic.

It’s a classic example of a small issue being used to attack the wider reasons for being vegan. Though I think that they have a point if you look at how mass-produced honey is made.

andypaul99
    Free Member

It’s a classic example of a small issue being used to attack the wider reasons for being vegan.

Its not a small issue. Its a huge issue.

poah
    Free Member

Poah don’t you comment on every single vegan thread? Is there something you want to tell us?

why are you stalking me

Cougar

I firmly believe the often aggressive reaction to someone’s else’s choice of lifestyle or diet is down to a feeling of guilt.

I think in many cases it’s because the omnivore is expecting the vegan to start preaching as soon as they disclose that they’re vegan and so decide to get the first blow in.  That’s been pretty much my experience, most of the time it plays out like this:

“I’m vegetarian.”

“Oh, I could never do that, I love meat too much” etc etc something about bacon.

“That’s fine, I didn’t ask you to.  I couldn’t care less what you eat.”

“Erm.  Er, oh.”

ransos
    Free Member

Its not a small issue. Its a huge issue.

Why is that?

Cougar

As an aside,

Why is it always ****ing bacon, straight out of the gate?  Why does no-one ever try to ‘convert’ me (or have a hilarious and totally original dig) with a rib-eye steak or a roast chicken or something?

It’d be the last thing on my list if I ever stopped being veggie, it looks like burnt shoe leather and smells absolutely rank.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Why does no-one ever try to ‘convert’ me (or have a hilarious and totally original dig) with a rib-eye steak or a roast chicken or something?

A challenge?

Can I interest you in a 16” Tandoori Munchie Box*?

It’ll change your life.

*Caution – May also contain traces of vegetables but not in a form you’d recognise

restlessshawn
    Free Member

I’ve been vegan for nearly 7 years however I’ve been an awkward dick basically since birth…I also don’t have a TV, just thought I should mention that to 😉

Northwind

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>Trimix
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Someone I work with cant eat food that would result in the killing of the plant.  So they cant eat carrots, as to harvest them you remove the whole plant.  But can eat say an Apple, as that wont kill a tree.

Apple abortion is a sin! Protect the seed’s godgiven right to life!

</div>

andypaul99
    Free Member

Why is that?

The importance of bees cannot be understated, there is plently of litrature online if you wanted to research them and the role they play.

chakaping
    Free Member

For anyone still interested in the original story, this is from Popbitch today (it’s the C-word BTW)…

Sitwell has apparently been considered something of an office liability for a while now, so it’s no real surprise that his post-lunch emails were a little near the knuckle.

Coming back to work one afternoon, rather refreshed after a longish lunch break, he loudly announced to the office “It smells of **** in here!” Then, on another occasion, he was ushered out of a client meeting for turning up in similarly good spirits (he then used this unexpectedly free time to pop back out for a top-up).

And the less said about his nights on the town with Hardeep Singh Kohli, the better…

anagallis_arvensis

Why would people care what other people dont eat?

funkmasterp

The importance of bees cannot be understated

Cougar

Someone I work with cant eat food that would result in the killing of the plant.

Won’t, not can’t.

walleater

We’re taking over duckman……or would be if it wasn’t for our wimpy arms and vitamin B12 deficiency 😀

duckman

But bacon though…( apparently)

ransos
    Free Member

The importance of bees cannot be understated, there is plently of litrature online if you wanted to research them and the role they play.

I agree, but I was asking about the problem with eating honey.

slowoldman

Why is it always ****ing bacon

It was a pork pie which ended Mrs. SOM’s vegetarian experiment.

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Have we done vegans yet?’ is closed to new replies.