Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Have we done Tracey Emin?
  • geoffj

6th form art from a classy lady keepin it real!
    What a load of ball cocks!

http://www.whitecube.com/artists/emin/ (mebe not safe for work)

enfht
    Free Member

She likes to show her boobies off for some reason 😕

DrJ

She likes to show her boobies off for some reason

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aP
    Free Member

Its no worse than Egon Shiele most of which I can’t stand (except for Die kleine Stadt II), but then again I don’t really get on with Klimt either.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I wasn’t all that keen on her till I saw her chest, but after that I became much more enthusiastic – how shallow is that ??

she definitely outnorks Schiele and Klimt :o)

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’ve done tracey emin.

GrahamS

Have we done Tracey Emin?

If you’re not sure then just check your name against the tent. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

That self-portrait with timber and sparrow (sparrow?) is cool.
    And I haven’t seen her chest.

andyg
    Free Member

Done a bit ago – I think the consensus was BOBFOC.
    Dunno about her art though – that wasn’t discussed.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i’m not hugely into a lot of the contemporary art stuff (a piece of a4 folded in half, as shown at the st ives tate the other year, is laughable), but i am a huge tracy emin fan.

no matter what you think of her work,how can you not truly admire someone who takes an old beat beach hut worth about 50quid, jazzes it up a bit and calls it ‘the last thing i said was don’t leave me’ then sells it to an overly rich ad man for silly silly cash. hats off to the woman!

DezB
    Free Member

Beach huts are £30K down our way

callous
    Free Member

nearer the £15 to £20k in our part of the world.

as for Emin – ‘probably shouldn’t but probably would’

it’s the sea air.

willard

30k’s cheap if you’re on the east coast near Southwold.

I think her “art” is bollocks to be honest, but I can’t find an artist that can give me a decent definition of what art is and can be, so I guess that, if other people think it’s art, it can be art.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Have we done Tracey Emin?

I wouldn’t even do Tracey Emin with yours mate!

BigDummy
    Free Member

[Chuckles at GrahamS]

I do not understand what she is doing, and as it is also visually pretty unattractive and unspectacular I switch off. Clearly, I ought to spend more time on this stuff. But equally there was a time when intelligent people made gorgeous art that could be enjoyed even by philistines like me who didn’t get it. 😕

theotherjonv

From the Whitecube link:
    A Sleep Alone with legs open
    Gouache, watercolour and pencil on canvas

I think you’ll find it’s spelt ‘gash’

(might need to follow the link0

DezB
    Free Member

If it provokes a reaction (eg. getting discussed on here), it must have something.

G
    Free Member

Every bleeding thing provokes a reaction on here!

MrAgreeable

Her art isn’t easy to defend – it’s deliberately ugly and designed to provoke “my kids could do better” type comments. But I like her attitude as someone who is determined to leave an impression on the world, regardless of what other people might think. And it’s funny how people seem to go out of their way to be outraged by this sort of stuff. Have you ever been forced to go to one of her exhibitions?

Nico
    Free Member

My kid draws better than her. And her tent wouldn’t survive a summer rain shower. She’s from Margate you know. etc.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

. But equally there was a time when intelligent people made gorgeous art that could be enjoyed even by philistines like me who didn’t get it

Well obviously you’re still a philistine who doesn’t get it. Let me explain.

Obviously this is a self-portrait of her in the morning after a night on the p1ss. She’s clearly sh1t the bed, and she lying with legs open. The vagueness and lack of detail in the painting betrays the fact that it was done in a hurry in the morning (which re-enforces a connection with the painting) as she needed to sell it quickly in order to get some cash to buy some more booze. It also adds to that unique ‘Tracey Emin quality’ represented by the fact that she can neither paint nor draw.

How is that not ‘gorgeous art’ ?

MrAgreeable

Well it sounds like you can relate to it anyway. Although you should probably replace “booze” with “smack”. 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

[doffs cap to ernie] 🙂

DrJ

represented by the fact that she can neither paint nor draw.

It’s a bit dumb to say she can’t paint or draw – she has an MA in painting from the Royal College of Art. You may not like what she paints or draws, but that is a different thing.

tomzo
    Free Member

Most people want art to be something pretty to hang on the walls….boring……zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You may not like what she paints or draws, but that is a different thing.

Apart from my CSEs, I have two ‘O’ levels. One of them happens to be Art.
    So don’t give me this “you don’t know what your talking about” bollox.

😕

aP
    Free Member

I have a GCE in Computer Science – you don’t catch me telling IT bods how to do their job, no siree.

BigDummy
    Free Member

And we’re back in the Lily Allen thread, only with slap-dash gouaches of unappealing minge.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I also went on a ‘computer literacy course’ aP. So I know a bit about that stuff too. Although I can’t seem to figure out how you post a picture on here. Might have to enrol again this autumn 😕

aP
    Free Member

Get an envelope, put the picture in it, address the envelope, then stick it in the post.
    Actually, that is pretty much an analogy of posting a picture on here. 😛

DrJ

So don’t give me this “you don’t know what your talking about” bollox.

So don’t talk bollox. Simple enough 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Although I can’t seem to figure out how you post a picture on here

get a grownup child to do it for you…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So don’t talk bollox. Simple enough

Why not ? I can talk the bollox as good as anyone else.

Or is it some sort of privilege reserved for a select few ?

ratadog

Its no worse than Egon Shiele most of which I can’t stand (except for Die kleine Stadt II), but then again I don’t really get on with Klimt either.

Entirely agree with you about Egon Schiele – didn’t get it when I saw some of his work at an exhibition at the Tate in Liverpool and then subsequently saw a major retrospective in Dusseldorf when I was at a conference there and began to suspect that actually I did get it in the sense that there wasn’t anything to get and it was an emporer’s new clothes phenomenon.

Klimt, however, may have been an old lecher and produced a lot of heavily gilded artwork that has now become somewhat debased by overexposure on the walls of surburbia but when he wanted he could produce detail in paint that defied my ability to tell it from high definition photography when viewed at a distance of 6 inches. That is technical skill beyond my wildest imaginings and the print of his on my walls is a landscape and not a gilded lady.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Klimt………somewhat debased by overexposure on the walls of surburbia

Cheeky git. I’ve got this on my wall about 12 feet from where I am right now in Croydon

I love it 8)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

… aren’t we straying too far from norkaliciousness ??

theflatboy
    Free Member

ooh ernie, is that the final scene from the matrix?

aP
    Free Member

Alright then, the Klimt landascapes I can endure, I much prefer Klee, or for stuff I’d actually buy, I collect (oh look you) Ian Hamilton Finlay and Richard Long.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Can I just say: I don’t know anything about Art, but I know what I like :o) ?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

is that the final scene from the matrix?

Is that the final scene from the matrix ? 😕

How the ****, did these supermarket-shoppers who know nothing about art get on this thread, ffs ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Have we done Tracey Emin?’ is closed to new replies.