Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Have we done this? Fogle and Cracknel content
  • allthepies
    Free Member

So it's a different race then. Phew, for one moment I thought they'd missed the start 😉

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

160 miles a day off road??? Good luck to them.

sam_commencal
    Free Member

My mate saw them doing some filming at Cwmcarn the other week, I was wondering what the challenge was going to be.

clubber
    Free Member

Crackers could quite likely manage the record. Even amongst the GB rowing team
    he was know for being an ultra focussed nut job.

But Fogle, sorry just can't see it though I don't doubt he can complete it in a reasonable time.

funkynick

I'm not what they are doing is against the rules at all…

You are allowed to ride with others, as long as you maintain your seperate kit and supplies.

Also, you are allowed to send pre-arranged supplies using commercialy available means… the rules even suggest using the US Post Offices.

Now, whether what they are doing is against the spirit of the rules is another question, but I can't see anything specifically in the rules that would stop them.

In which case, who's up for an STW attempt next year? Slowest attempt maybe?

;o)

IanMunro
    Free Member

Will CG be offering her bosoms to all finishers?

turboferret

I was looking at the Great Divide website earlier on and noticed their names down for the 2010 timed event.

Had a look at Ben Fogle's website as a result

The Tour Divide is the world’s longest off-road bike race. At 2745 miles (4418 km) long and the mountainous route is the equivalent of climbing Everest seven times to and from sea level.

Ben and James have previously crossed the Atlantic Ocean in a rowing boat in the RTS award-winning Through Hell and High Water, and raced to the South Pole in the crushingly cold Antarctic in On Thin Ice, but this new adventure will challenge them, both physically and mentally, like never before. Although James has some experience on road bikes, neither is yet trained in mountain biking, and Ben is not a cyclist at all.

To add to the pressure, they are attempting to break the current course record and complete the route in less than the current best time of 17 days and 21 hours. This inspirational challenge is no mean feat for mountain biking novices – to beat the record they will have to cover at least 160 miles (257km) every day.

Commenting on why they’re taking on this particular adventure, James Cracknell comments: “As ‘fun’ as the last two challenges were, the scenery in the Atlantic and on the Antarctic Plateau wasn’t that varied so the chance to see the Rockies on a bike whilst pushing hard and seeing how close we can get to the record is an irresistible combination.”

The route starts in Banff, Canada, and traverses the Rockies along the Continental Divide, which is the watershed between the Pacific on the West Coast and the Atlantic on the East Coast. But although being an unbelievably arduous physical feat, the bigger test is likely to be maintaining the mental stamina required.

Talking about the expedition, Ben Fogle said: “I love a challenge, but as a cycling novice this is a huge test and could well prove to be the toughest yet. In training, I’ve already had broken fingers and black eyes and I’ve yet to step foot in the Rockies!”

To attempt to beat the current world record, they must race unsupported so there will be no back up team alongside them with equipment or supplies. They must carry everything they need on their bikes, including all their camera equipment, but they are allowed to send supplies to pre-arranged locations to pick up en route.

The challenge of handling the unending miles ahead cannot be underestimated and will undoubtedly put a strain on their personal relationship. The experience of their other expeditions has shown them that team work is the key to success, and in this adventure it is going to be more important than ever.

The production crew behind both their previous adventures will film their training and shadow them where possible during the record attempt which Ben and James plan to start in August 2010.

BBC Executive Producer, Lisa Edwards, commented: “We’re delighted that James and Ben are returning to BBC Two with another inspirational challenge which, as their previous series’ have done, is sure to keep viewers enthralled.”

“It’s really exciting to be working with Ben and James again on a third world-beating adventure,” said Melanie Leach, Twofour’s Executive Producer. “We have followed them over the sea and ice, and watched in awe as their grit, determination and good humour has seen them through. This cycle race will test them to the limits and it will be fascinating to see how their relationship develops as they chase yet another record.”

Cheers, Rich

corroded
    Free Member

Anyone know what bikes they'll be using?

allthepies
    Free Member

>Crackers could quite likely manage the record. Even amongst the GB rowing team he was know for being an ultra focussed nut job.

Wasn't he the weak link on the Arctic thing ? Both mentally and physically ?

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

To add to the pressure, they are attempting to break the current course record and complete the route in less than the current best time of 17 days and 21 hours.

Not a chance. But I expect they'll finish the course and have 'fun' doing it.

Bunnyhop

What samuri said.

miketually
    Free Member

the rules even suggest using the US Post Offices.

I think the rules say only US Post Offices.

And would the camera crew class as "visitation to the GDMBR mid-race by family or friends"? Though the Ride The Divide film must have done this, though equally between all racers.

headfirst
    Free Member

I can't decide whether its humungous arrogance or ignorance that they are guilty of, thinking they can break the record. Probably both.

miketually
    Free Member

Anyone know what bikes they'll be using?

They're on Merida FS bikes on the photo on Fogle's blog.

miketually
    Free Member

I can't decide whether its humungous arrogance or ignorance that they are guilty of, thinking they can break the record. Probably both.

Or, it's good copy for the press release and the pitch for the programme?

Junkyard
    Free Member

IanMunro – Member
    Will CG be offering her bosoms to all finishers?

If we all get to finish on her bosoms we may just raise a team
    😆

cinnamon_girl

😯

I'm well and truly shocked!

Actually, I'm not … nothing surprises me on here. 🙄

You don't want an answer do you? 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I think they have the mental toughness to do it, and lets face it all these endurance things about mental ability rather than ultimate physical ability.

Still 160 miles a day, true off road, or are we talking fire tracks ?

Oh and Fogle isn't quite as tough as I thought he was. On his last TV documentary he was saying how difficult it is with a new baby to look after, his wife laughed and just said well what about the nanny we employ to look after your son all night ?!?!

Extreme Dreams was trash TV though, lets take some people who have never left the city and walk them up a hill and try and use the word 'Extreme' as many times as possible.

brassneck

Hopefully Fogle will get lost and eaten by a bear. And his little doggie too.

Cracknell I would normally excuse, but I feel he has to also be eaten simply by association with the smugpot.

Was this the event Jenn wrote an article for Singletrack on? There's your presenter if you ask me.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Was this the event Jenn wrote an article for Singletrack on? There's your presenter if you ask me.

Yes and yes!

trail_rat
    Free Member

i would have to agree – incredible arrogance. characterised by thinking that they are going to smash the record on the first attempt…..

Only good i see coming is it will make it easier to pitch the time off to my recreational cycling boss. They will milk how tough it is and make it look ten times tougher….

brassneck

Yes and yes!

Well, that's one thing settled anyway 🙂

You planning to do it trail_rat? Chapeau!

I dream of being fit enough again to ride a 12 hour without stopping for anything other than bio breaks. In fact, right now, I'd take 6 hours.

trail_rat
    Free Member

its already penciled in and planning has begun . 2012 start for me as im simply not getting during my 2 year graduate scheme at work.
    Never mind the good things are worth waiting for . Took me 5 years to do the puffer solo after it being my first mtb race …. Finished 1st in my catagory after 5 years planning though. Not that ill be winning the tour divide thats gor sure . Enjoy the ride !

miketually
    Free Member

Still 160 miles a day, true off road, or are we talking fire tracks ?

I don't think there's much in the way of technical riding.

But, when the race is run, there's often snow on the mountain passes at the start and insane heat in the desert toward the finish.

I wonder what difference an August start will make to the conditions; I know there has been discussion about start dates and so forth on the MTBR forum.

Rockape63
    Free Member

2700miles with 200,000 ft of climbs.

Obviously a lot, but to put it in context, the South Downs is 100miles with 10,000 ft of climbs. Some people do it there and back for fun in less than 24hrs, with the record approx 18hrs.

Therefore, it equates to more climbs and possible similar surfaces and is possibly able to be ridden 25 times with kit in 16-17 days? (not me by the way! :lol:)

allthepies
    Free Member

If you look at Fogle's Twitter feed then unless he's bullsh*tting about his biking experience and current training (i.e. swanning around the world) then he has no chance.

brassneck

Never mind the good things are worth waiting for

Going to be about 3 years I reckon, it's the rugrats that need my time at the moment rather than the bike 🙂 Still spinning the wheels occasionally and enjoying it, thats the main thing.

Good luck with that – finishing something of that magnitude is one hell of a win in my book.

miketually
    Free Member

2700miles with 200,000 ft of climbs.

Obviously a lot, but to put it in context, the South Downs is 100miles with 10,000 ft of climbs. Some people do it there and back for fun in less than 24hrs, with the record approx 18hrs.

Therefore, it equates to more climbs and possible similar surfaces and is possibly able to be ridden 25 times with kit in 16-17 days? (not me by the way! :lol:)

With bears, rattle snakes, snow-bound mountain passes, dry deserts and altitude 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

If you look at Fogle's Twitter feed then unless he's bullsh*tting about his biking experience and current training (i.e. swanning around the world) then he has no chance.

Tell that to Eddie Izzard…

miketually
    Free Member

Tell that to Eddie Izzard…

What Eddie did was great, but he didn't exactly break any records, which is what they're claiming to be aiming for. (I don't believe for a second that they genuinely think they have a shot at the record, by the way.)

carl
    Free Member

I think Jenns talent is writing.Its always been my view that people like Cracknell and Fogle make good tv because they have well lubed tear ducts and are drama queens.It makes for good viewing.I always wonder how much is staged or true.Following Jenn woulds be like watching paint dry because she gets the job done,no drama.Quite a few in the ultra endurance self support world very similiar.
    Good luck to them.Emailed a few bookies today to see if they will entertain a wager on them failing.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

They'll push themselves too hard too early on, then fail spectacularly in sea of moaning and sulking from that cracknell. Fogle will stick out his big nose and posh it up to the camera about how extreme it is. The general punters will love it, but I'd prefer to see a film about Matt Lee who is storming this year's race. and Aidan Harding's doing damn well as well.

Which brings me to a point why aren't fogle and cracknell on the start line with this year's racers?

myheadsashed

It's biking ont' box wtf is bad about that?

I hope they give it a good go and I hope they make a half decent program, it got to be better than XcntunigFactor.

No they won't beat the record but there's no harm in aiming high and failing spectacularly 😀

ourmaninthenorth

It's biking ont' box wtf is bad about that?

My only reservation is one that presents riding bikes as a weird, separatist sporting activity only, and not something that regular people can do to go to the shops or get to work.

But, then, we all like drama. So, I don't mind that. And perhaps people might see that riding bikes is more than just pumping the tyres up once a year and wobbling to the pub.

plumber
    Free Member

160 miles a day in the rockies – not a chance of doing that myself – altitude is a killer even without kit.

I just finished the antartic book which I enjoy. I like the fact that they do something very challenging so good luck to 'em

Plum

miketually
    Free Member

Which brings me to a point why aren't fogle and cracknell on the start line with this year's racers?

You can race the TD at any time of year as an ITT, as well as the mass start race.

BadlyWiredDog

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member

TJ the tandem record is only 18:13:50 not tempted? You and sfb could do this surely

I am not getting on a tandem with SFB. We would never be able to agree which way to go, who gets the front seat, what cadence to pedal at or anything else. I predict dummies out of prams very quickly.

Good luck to the boys for having a go I say

convert

Craknell has some form on a bike. He made the GB age group team for the European Triathlon Champs and came 8th I believe (I was there, but can't remember exactly – top 10 certainly). He is a pants runner but does well by pushing on the bike. He also showed he was pretty handy on a bike in 2008 when he rode the 1300 road miles in 7 days in his Row the channel; bike to Gibraltar; swim to Africa challenge. Big step up to this though…

thomthumb
    Free Member

i read (i think in john metcalfs training book but it may have been elsewhre) that in endurance sport and particulary cycling you need a career to build up rather than a season of hard training.

i think that most people, who are inclined, and with professional support could train to finish the divide, but to aim to break the record first time out is optimistic, arrogant and imo misinformed, you only have to look at this years leaderboard to see the number of people who have gone lost and had to backtrack already!!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Have we done this? Fogle and Cracknel content’ is closed to new replies.