Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Have we done these new-fangled Michelin Protek Max inner tubes yet?
  • Dangerboy
    Free Member

Apparently:

…Michelin also showed off their new Protek Max inner tubes, which use a uniquely bumpy surface and square-shaped cross section that’s claimed to be much more resistant to punctures – or more specifically, losing air pressure due to punctures – than standard inner tubes. According to Megavand, the Protek Max’s bumpy surface creates a compressive force in the tube wall, in contrast to standard inner tubes where the tube walls are stretched upon inflation.

This means that small punctures which would typically enlarge with conventional stretched tubes instead tend to self-seal. In addition, the curious square cross-sectional shape is said to ease installation by maintaining the correct orientation when inserted into the tire. Michelin still equip each Protek Max tube with some sealant to finish the job, and they claim a two-fold improvement in air retention relative to other pre-sealed tubes.

The Protek Max tubes will be offered with either Presta or Schrader valves in two sizes: 700×35-47c (200g) and 26×1.4-2.125in (260g). Suggested retail price is a surprisingly reasonable $8.99.

scaredypants

(what date was this news released ?)

Dangerboy
    Free Member

not sure, I saw them for the first time on Gizmag today 😳

M6TTF
    Free Member

Inner tubes? What are they then? Ahh yes I vaguely remember those old fashioned things from back in the day 😉

TimP
    Free Member

They would be perfect for filling in the gaps when running your knobblies inside out as slicks!

colman
    Free Member

So how do you patch if they do puncture?

Assume that Michelin will be selling knobbly patches to ensure a proper seal?

DezB
    Free Member

Hmm… and the link takes you HERE
    Shame there’s no 700cx23

I’m signing up anyway 🙂

cookeaa

Interesting Idea, I have to say I’m far too impressed with tubeless on my MTB to switch over to a heavier version of inner tubes for MTBing, does look like they’re trying new ideas out…

What exactly is the advantage of a square cross section with lumps and bumps then? does it prevent thorns penetrating and reduce the risk of pinches?

Might be interested for the road bike, if don’t switch that to tubeless…

DezB
    Free Member

I’m just going to try them on the hack, which I have no intention of converting to tubeless.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Have we done these new-fangled Michelin Protek Max inner tubes yet?’ is closed to new replies.