Viewing 18 posts - 321 through 338 (of 338 total)
  • Have we done the tube drivers pay deal?
  • randomjeremy
    Free Member

I disagree with everything you say *shrug*

*kiss*

grum
    Free Member

You disagree with this bit?

Society would be a better place if the gap between top and bottom earners was a lot, lot narrower. This is obvious.

Then you’re a fool.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

🙄

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone in their right mind would argue that the World would be a far better place if this mayn was a lot poorer dead/beaten around the face with a dead fish/forced to spend an evening with elf:

FTFY (though to be honest I think the latter might be a little unfair on elf)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I guess if most people think rape is ok, it’s fine right

Arguing in favour of progressive taxation is compared to arguing in favour of rape.

Priceless.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I’m glad you agree ernie_lynch

night girls

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I disagree with everything you say

It’s ok. I respect your right to be wrong.

X

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes if i pay 20 % of my income and you pay 20% of your income it is obvious one has paid more than the other- if we just ignore the percentage part of the percentage tax 😯

All you are saying is that if we pay the same percentage we can also pay different totals which is true. It is not true to say one pays more if we look at percentages obviously as it is a percentage system. Looking at percentages in a percentage tax system makes a bit more sense as their burden is not greater. I would burden them even more than you would[ %] but we both agree they should pay more.

how is that unfair?

which bit? the amount they pay or the bit about them having ten times more money?

I guess if most people think rape is ok, it’s fine right

Yes that is what i am saying good precise. Thanks 🙄

What every argumentdiscussion about tax boils down to is that everyone thinks that people richer than them should pay more tax.

well even zulu’s and your choice leads to that so the discussion is really about how much more they should pay not if.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

though to be honest I think the latter might be a little unfair on elf

😆

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone in their right mind would argue that the World would be a far better place if this mayn was tube drivers were a lot poorer

FTFY (in another futile attempt to bring this thread back on topic)

aracer
    Free Member

Society would be a better place if the gap between top and bottom earners was a lot, lot narrower. This is obvious.

Actually it’s not at all obvious. It’s obvious that society would be a better place if the gap between tube drivers median earners and bottom earners was a lot, lot narrower, but what top earners earn is somewhat irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

grum
    Free Member

but what top earners earn is somewhat irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

It’s really not, there’s a lot of evidence which shows that societies with a narrower gap between rich and poor are generally happier and healthier places. Strangely these benefits apply to the rich as well as the poor in these societies.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s really not, there’s a lot of evidence which shows that societies with a narrower gap between rich and poor are generally happier and healthier places.

Maybe – but that’s surely down to a lack of poverty at the bottom end rather than a limit on earnings at the top. Are you suggesting that my criteria isn’t just as good if not a better one?

Half a beast.

ransos
    Free Member

This totally ignores the state handouts available to the poor, but not the rich.

No it doesn’t. Go and read the ONS statistics – they take account of benefits. Guess what? The poor still pay a higher percentage in tax than the rich.
    http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/household-income/the-effects-of-taxes-and-benefits-on-household-income/2009-2010/the-effects-of-taxes-and-benefits-on-household-income-2009-10.pdf

Page 50. The bottom quintile pays a higher percentage in total tax of gross and disposable income, than any of the other 4 quintiles.

grum
    Free Member

Maybe – but that’s surely down to a lack of poverty at the bottom end rather than a limit on earnings at the top. Are you suggesting that my criteria isn’t just as good if not a better one?

No, it’s because more equal societies are more socially cohesive, and this benefits everyone in myriad ways. It’s not just about absolute poverty/wealth.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ransos – thanks for pointing that document out – good for my son’s economics revision. I don’t want to go over old ground but we are not debating the same thing. Surely P50 is ignoring the impact of benefits – hence the difference between the income and expenditure data. The tax system really cant be understood in isolation of the impact of benefits which make up up to 40% of total income for the poorest households.

But it is really worth looking at the data, whatever one’s point of view because it shows what a mess the tax system really is and just how confusing it is.

We are often led to believe that direct taxation is progressive and indirect tax is regressive, but the data in the impact of the council tax is very interesting. I guess the saddest thing in this is to look at the impact of expenditure in tobacco versus the national average.

mudshark
    Free Member

London Underground (LU) plans to axe more than 1,500 jobs and close all but 30 ticket offices, the Rail, Maritime and Transport union has claimed.

It quotes a strategy document, leaked to BBC London, which includes proposals to run driverless trains and replace drivers with “train attendants”.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-15422882

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHwlT-ezjuc[/video]

Viewing 18 posts - 321 through 338 (of 338 total)

The topic ‘Have we done the tube drivers pay deal?’ is closed to new replies.