• This topic has 27 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by hols2.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Have we done the Schwalbe online tyre pressure calculator?
  • mattyfez

Interesting tool, but It only brings back the pressures I currently run if select ‘rookie’ over intermediate or advanced on the riding ability section, hahah!

If I select intermediate or advanced, the pressure is high enough to make for a really uncomfortable and pingy ride. But to be fair, I am probably a rookie in the grand scheme of things.

ANy thoughts from anyone else?

fasthaggis

nip

😉

mashr

Quick play comes out very (very) close to what I run…… interesting

DezB
    Free Member

This?

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/pressureprof

I don’t know
    1, My weight in KG
    2, Tyre width in mm
    let alone my riding ability.

Trimix
    Free Member

Thats just marketing guff. There are way too many variables and assumptions.
    The UK is mostly Mixed and it requires a Mixed style.

I suppose if you think you need a website to tell you then thats fine, you will go with it and assume its correct.

Its beyond most people to go out and experiment and work it out for themselves. Pretty much all of the riders I know just use a specially calibrated thumb 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I not a Pro so by definition I am intermediate. For my most typical conditions, its only slightly higher than my actual, and I purposely run slightly soft to account for extra, extra slippery limestone.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

No input for weight of bike, your riding gear including food and fluid etc.

JackHammer

too many metric numbers for me. Plus then i had to go find which version of schwalbe tyres i have and take a wild guess.

Seems about what I run anyway.

DezB
    Free Member

No input for weight of bike, your riding gear including food and fluid etc...

or accuracy of gauge.. 😉

mashr

Thats just marketing guff.

or it’s just a (potentially) useful starting point for some people, just like suspension manufacturers giving pressure guidance for forks

NewRetroTom

For a plus sized tyre on a 35mm rim it seems to come out with a very high figure: 1.5 bar (22 psi). I actually use 9 psi.

Yak

It was too high by a couple of psi for my local stuff, but was spot on for when on rockier stuff or when I think I might hit rim.

andytherocketeer

what’s the “right” pressure?

the one that the manufacturer specifies for its tyre design?  or the one that fashion dictates?

I can’t decide from all those disciplines what would be exactly aligned to my riding, since they’re all subjective. So it reckons anything from about 1.8bar-2.4bar.  But then I use roughly 2bar and a smidge over 2bar F/R. So pretty much in line.

Fashion will probably say that’s way higher than it should be.

But then fashion doesn’t know how and where and on what terrain I ride a bike.

Trimix
    Free Member

The Right Pressure is the one you have tired out yourself and works for you, your bike and the terrain.

DickBarton

take a wild guess.

Those were Michelin tyres…guess where you’d end up after a touch of moisture!

Suggests I’m needing to add 3psi to each end.

scotroutes

Tyre width only goes up to 75mm 🙄

bigblackshed

Based on that there calculator and considering I use Schwalbe tyres, it recommends twice the pressure I’m running ATM. I’m also lowering pressures because I’m pinging off roots and rocks.

Utter bobbins.

mattyfez

Yeh my ideal pressure is as low as I can go without rim hits, which is about 27-30 PSI, or up to about 35 if I’m on harder smoother surfaces. Any more and the ride is too harsh.

Just thought I’d post the OP as it’s another ‘calculation method’.

I came to my pressures by trial and error, mostly by finding a happy medium between getting snake bites or the ride being way too pingy (on a short travel hard tail which probably makes a difference to full sus enduro or whatever)

bear-uk
    Free Member

It recomends 2 bar for me about 30 psi And I run at 21 psi as any higher makes the bike twitchy.

Daffy

Seems to indicate about 17-20psi for me. Much lower than I currently run. I’ll give it a try.

mattyfez

Do be careful daffy as the recommendation PSI varies wildly depending on whether you chose Rookie or pro, I’m not sure how they define that massively different pressure just on that.

I chose xc with light tyres and if I selected pro ability it was close to 40 PSI which is way too high.

YMMV

I just thought it was an interesting tool, but I’m struggling to work out the maths behind it.

oldnpastit

That’s quite useful. I can effectively use it to work out what level of rider I am, since I know my tyre pressures.

I’m rookie, possibly even lower than that.

I think I already knew that though.

Northwind

What the actual **** is going on with the units? Tyre width in mm, when all the company’s products are sold in inches? And who measures tyre pressures in BAR? It’s like they’ve intentionally done it to be annoying. Add a conversion box or a choice of units you monsters

Blackflag
    Free Member

I use bar to measure tyre pressures when i’m riding underwater.

scotroutes

I’ve never really considered it but do the Germans use psi? “Road” bike tyre width is measured in mm of course, right up to (at least) 47mm and metric widths are on all Schwalbe tyres. Maybe it’s time we just got used to metric as we have with rim widths.

mattyfez

It would be fine if mtb tyres were labeled up in metric, but everyone is used to 2.4×27.5 etc lol

filibuster
    Free Member

Germans over thinking things again.

hols2
    Free Member

It seems to be in the ballpark for me (as long as I enter my weight naked). As a starting point for novices, I think it’s probably useful.

Didn’t realize anyone did “All Mountain” any more. Is that more or less gnarly than “Trail”. I think I’m kinda an aggressive XC-All Mountain rider most of the time, with maybe some Enduro-lite thrown in, and some “Trail” when I can’t be bothered sticking to a proper genre, but if “Trail” is more gnarly than “All Mountain”, I guess I’ll have to rethink who I am.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Have we done the Schwalbe online tyre pressure calculator?’ is closed to new replies.