• This topic has 49 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by tomj.
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Have we done the School banning children from cycling
  • DezB
    Free Member

they are people who see reckless and dangerous shit going on every day and want it stopped.

They probably just see kids on bikes “in their way”. They park on the zigzags, drop their kids off and drive on to work and get adults on bikes “in their way”.

PrinceJohn

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2018-09-25/pupils-at-south-london-school-ordered-to-display-number-plates-on-bikes/

ITV are having a vote – it was 70:30 in favour of number plates, that number has now swung

nealglover
    Free Member

they are people who see reckless and dangerous shit going on every day and want it stopped.

They probably just see kids on bikes “in their way”. They park on the zigzags, drop their kids off and drive on to work and get adults on bikes “in their way”.

No 🙄 They are specific complaints about a group of kids doing wheelies down the wrong side of the road and playing chicken with oncoming cars.

Kids that can’t be identified and dealt with by the school/head. Hence why I mentioned it. Because it’s relevant to the idea of some way to identify the specific person you want to complain about.

I thought it was quite clear but obviously not.

matt_outandabout

hey are people who see reckless and dangerous shit going on every day and want it stopped

So do something. Don’t Palm it off on the school.

Dangerous riding on road? Call police.

Fancy nipping it in the bud? Set up a yoof MTB club.

Want to understand why kids feel the need to behave like this? (It’s a positive reason for them btw) Go and get volunteered at a youth club.

They are well intentioned, but the school is not the place to expect to put a plan into place for this – the results of their planning is clear…

northernsoul

Roller skates/blades and scooters are the future! Never seen anyone using those irresponsibly… 🤥

DezB
    Free Member

Want to understand why kids feel the need to behave like this?

Because they’re kids?

mattyfez

Cycling proficiency courses at the school might be a better way forward. I know I enjoyed mine some 35 years ago..

Learn a bit of road sense, maybe get the local Bobby and cycle team in to show a few videos or give talks of how cycling accidents can end up? And how it should be done.. A bit of positive reinforcement goes a long way.

Making lots of random rules is asking for rebellion lol! Education is far more effective, expecially with it being a school and all.

Poopscoop

Mixture of ‘he really shouldn’t be doing that’ with ‘little shit, I wish i could do that’

Lol 😆

nealglover
    Free Member

So do something. Don’t Palm it off on the school.

I’m not palming anything off on anyone, I am not bothered if they end up spread out under a bus to be honest. I’m just explaining why the head in this story may feel the need to try and do something about the situation,

Dangerous riding on road? Call police.

This also gets done regularly. The police are doubtless sick of hearing the same complaint too.

But it Still happens every day.

Also riding dirt bikes and scooters (in the same way) no helmets, no licence, tax or insurance (as the bikes aren’t road legal, no lights/indicators/number plates etc)

This is all in broad daylight through the middle of a busy village high street

The Police seem powerless to do anything about either of these issues. As do the school (obviously)

tomj
    Free Member

I know a couple of primary heads. They are forever fielding calls from locals about parking, school run, behaviour etc. Calls that take up time from more important duties. People parking inconsiderably is the most common. At least there he can ask for the reg and put in the school bulletin and quickly look like he’s doing something.

This head is probably fed up with calls about cycling and just wanted to do something to reduce this workload. It might not be the right solution but I can see why they wanted to do something and be seen to do it.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Have we done the School banning children from cycling’ is closed to new replies.