Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Have we done the Prime price increase?
  • doomanic

Not only have Amazon increased the price of Prime subscription to £8.99 but it’s come to light that the price in Europe is far lower. An Italian acquaintance of mine is moaning it’s gone up to €5 per month.

I’m sure I’ll get lambasted for using Amazon but as someone who lives in a small town and actually has to go to work every day sometimes there’s no realistic alternative.

fossy

TBH, we use them quite a lot, and the added TV for that is fine. I’m busy so they suit my needs. I rarely go shopping other than for food.

scotroutes

Worth it for the time and money it saves me in travel costs (usually wasted), especially with fuel at £2/litre.

Rivett
    Free Member

It’s reminded me to use the music side of it a bit more.

the-muffin-man

For what you get it’s still cheap.

longdog
    Free Member

Same here, an evil I live with due to location and circumstances. Pretty much only to to shops for our weekly food run.

maccruiskeen

An Italian acquaintance of mine is moaning it’s gone up to €5 per month.

I suppose the price diffenrce requires you to think about whats on offer in different countries – you’re getting two things with ‘Prime’ – delivery of purchases and access to online entertainment. From a UK perspective we’re buying into a lot of English language content even though a large proportion of it isnt UK produced with our subs.

Funnily enough, even as someone who has spent nearly two years making content for Amazon, and paid very handsomely thanks to your Prime subscriptions – It never even occurred to me to  look at what films and tv is on offer with with my Prime sub.

So the question with any price comparison between here and Italy is – is there an equivalent volume of Italian language entertainment included compared to the amount of English Language content included with our Prime subs?

Cougar

How do postal rates in Italy generally compare with here?

Eh, I pulled my face for a few seconds. It’s a quid, it’s the first price rise in years and it’s probably paid for itself multiple times over in postage savings just in the few months after I moved house.

zilog6128

TBH, we use them quite a lot, and the added TV for that is fine. I’m busy so they suit my needs. I rarely go shopping other than for food.

I’ve actually started using Prime for my food shops some weeks now! It’s Morrisons food but, amusingly, the service is far better than Morrisons own delivery service, plus it’s “free” (assuming you’ve already paid for Prime)

mashr

First increase since 2014 iirc? Seems fair.

Interesting to hear it’s far cheaper elsewhere. Is the service exactly the same? €5/month even just for the TV would be very cheap

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

In other news McDs have put up the price of a cheeseburger by between 10-20p depending on the outlet – to £1.09 or £1.19

It’s the first price increase in 14 years and had the Cheeseburger price tracked inflation over that time it would now cost £1.30.

convert

I’ve actually started using Prime for my food shops some weeks now! It’s Morrisons food but, amusingly, the service is far better than Morrisons own delivery service, plus it’s “free” (assuming you’ve already paid for Prime)

God, it feels like totally selling your soul to the devil, but I might explore that.

For us, living where we do, online firms love to add a ‘the highlands is not mainland uk even though you are only 20 mins from an airport and mainline railway station so you’ll be paying £15 delivery instead of free’ so prime just works. Then add the telly, books and music. £95 seems still good value.

airvent
    Free Member

Have we done not putting ‘have we done’ in the title of every thread?

bearnecessities

I remember when air was free at the petrol station. That’s inflation for you.

timba
    Free Member

It’s still £7.99 on the Amazon website and £79 pa. Get in there!
    Not a humblebrag but I cancelled at my last annual renewal because the goodies are often more expensive than elsewhere and the TV content isn’t as good (for me at least) as Netflix. They will refund if you’re part way through an annual contract too

fossy

Used the Morrison’s things a few times. It arrives promptly, and comes with free cat toys – big paper bags.

Plus, my bank keeps offering 10% cash back if I use Morrison’s Prime

timba
    Free Member

In Venice you get deliveries by boat, worth €5 to see that on it’s own

maccruiskeen

It’s still £7.99 on the Amazon website

Good spot – I normally get my Prime subscription from the milkman but thats loads cheaper 🙂

Price doesn’t go up til September

cookeaa

We’re on annual payment so this won’t ‘hit’ us till next year, still not bad VFM.

Just a shame I’m helping to fund a second rate Dr Evil…

prawny

bearnecessities

I remember when air was free at the petrol station. That’s inflation for you

Nice 👌🏻

BigJohn

We have it from time to time and use it a bit. The announcement prompted us to have a chat about it and the decision was to go for an annual sub before the price goes up. Maybe we’ll start using it a bit more. Who knows?

Caher

I’ve used the Morrisons shop too but it’s quite a bit more expensive than buying straight from Amazon. Compare 6 pack of Heinz beans.
    Don’t mind Prime increase its Netflix I’ll ditch now Stranger Things is over.

kayak23

I’m always a little confused, maybe a little irked at the telly content.

I’m already paying the sub, so why am I paying again to watch certain things, seemingly at random?

I can understand new movies perhaps but for example I wanted to watch the original Top Gun the other day and it was for rent at £3.50 or something, presumably because loads of people like me are watching it again due to the new one being out.

The sub isn’t an inconsiderable amount really, so understanding the charging structure would be good. Obviously I never read small print or anything… 😅

The delivery thing can be a touch deceptive too I think. I’ve had many orders that said same day that weren’t. That’s obviously massively first world, but if you’re paying for it, you should get it.
    Often if you compare prices it feels like they add a bit for Prime items and so you’re kind of paying twice again.
    Cheaper items usually don’t seem competitive.

Meh…

zilog6128

I’ve used the Morrisons shop too but it’s quite a bit more expensive than buying straight from Amazon. Compare 6 pack of Heinz beans.

is it? Are you looking at things with Prime/next day delivery? The only cheaper ones I can see are from Marketplace sellers with dodgy names and delivery times of 1-2 weeks! Actually, that’s not quite true, you can get 6x 2.62kg catering tins next day on Prime, that’s a few more beans than I can get through though 🤣

I’m already paying the sub, so why am I paying again to watch certain things, seemingly at random?

there’s 2 distinct services – Prime (which is “free” content) and (Prime) Video Store (which isn’t). I agree they’re confusingly presented in the app!

The delivery thing can be a touch deceptive too I think. I’ve had many orders that said same day that weren’t. That’s obviously massively first world, but if you’re paying for it, you should get it.
    Often if you compare prices it feels like they add a bit for Prime items and so you’re kind of paying twice again.

I probably get, on average, 2 Prime deliveries per week and I can only think of a handful, 4 or 5 maybe over the years? that haven’t come on the expected day. No complaints from me!! You’re right about (sometimes) paying slightly extra for next-day-delivery though, especially smaller items which are often available cheaper via non-Prime marketplace sellers. I buy a lot of stuff for work via Prime though, and the speed of delivery and time saved not having to shop around definitely wins out for me!

johndoh
    Free Member

It’s not surprising prices are going up – I ordered a £12 paddling pool cover and it is being shipped from Italy so having to go through Customs clearance and everything…

Wednesday, 27 July
    1:30 AM
    Package arrived at an Amazon facility
    Rochester, Kent GB
    Tuesday, 26 July
    5:26 AM
    Initiated customs clearance process
    Tilbury, United Kingdom
    Monday, 25 July
    9:48 PM
    Initiated customs clearance process
    Mouscron, BE
    Sunday, 24 July
    10:24 PM
    Package departed an Amazon facility
    Casirate d’Adda (BG), Lombardy IT
    Thursday, 21 July
    7:39 PM
    Package arrived at an Amazon facility
    Casirate d’Adda (BG), Lombardy IT
    Carrier picked up the package.

jon1973
    Free Member

I’ve had many orders that said same day that weren’t

You have to select in day delivery otherwise it defaults to the next day

mattyfez

Is much as I don’t really approve of amazon as a company, I do get my value out of it just in delivery costs. Add to that the morrisons deliveries and the video that has some 4k & HDR content for no extra too and it’s pretty good value.

IdleJon

In Venice you get deliveries by boat, worth €5 to see that on it’s own

Carry on using such resource inefficient ‘shops’ and it won’t be long before we’ll all have deliveries by boat. 😀

BillOddie

Don’t forget 8 episode Lord of the Rings series (that makes GOT sound cheap and nasty) starts soon.

Amazon is increasingly a becoming a BIG player in Streaming.

dyna-ti

Given how many UK subscriptions they have thats an income increase of £180 million per year.

Much tax is it they pay again ?

dudeofdoom

More importantly the McD cheeseburgers gone from 99p to £1.19 apparently.

dudeofdoom

Not only have Amazon increased the price of Prime subscription to £8.99 but it’s come to light that the price in Europe is far lower. An Italian acquaintance of mine is moaning it’s gone up to €5 per month

I think it was €30 a year when I got it in Spain 🙂

Northwind

Doubly crippling as I’ve lost my work ac.uk email address so I cant get a dodgy student discount 🙁

poly
    Free Member

How do people manage this in households?
    e.g. I believe we have a family netflicks account that gives us 4+ logins – one for each family member, so we can all watch different stuff at the same time
    I believe we have one spotify account so if I change the music it changes it for everyone. We could pay more and have a family style account.
    I don’t *think* we can do anything similar with Amazon? So if I share my account details with the rest of the family – 1. they probably get access to spend on my card? 2. if I buy present for one of them they will see it show up?

Are people paying for multiple prime accounts per household to keep it separate?

desperatebicycle

I’ve lost my work ac.uk email address so I cant get a dodgy student discount

Saw this yesterday – that an ac.uk address gives you Prime at half price. I only keep my subscription for my son, so going to swap to his address when the price goes up. Looked like I could switch my account for a free trial but his address had been used before 😐

desperatebicycle

It’s still £7.99 on the Amazon website and £79 pa

Notice its £79 for the first year, then £95! Not quite sure I understand their maths. Guess they are hoping people don’t check annual dds.

dissonance

Notice its £79 for the first year, then £95!

Because the price is going up in September. So for now its still the lower price

fossy

I’ve got an ac.uk email but the dodgy student deal stopped a while back… daughter will have a real one soon though – Uni student !

convert

I don’t *think* we can do anything similar with Amazon? So if I share my account details with the rest of the family – 1. they probably get access to spend on my card? 2. if I buy present for one of them they will see it show up?

Are people paying for multiple prime accounts per household to keep it separate?

I think it’s called Amazon family…or something similar. Basically for zero cost you can add X number of email addresses with their own existing Amazon accounts at the same delivery address. All Amazon accounts in the family then get free delivery, the books and the music. With the streaming I launch the app on my Roku stick in the TV and my wife and I have different icons on a ‘whos watching’ launch page.So very much like a netflix setup, without paying for a family account upgrade like you have to do there.

We had Now, Prime and Netflix. Told ourselves to get a life and now have just Prime and bbc iPlayer etc. If can’t agree on something watch we read a book.

My only regret, apart from being totally in Amazon’s pocket is the the audible book offering does not allow sharing of books bought. It would be good if at the very least I could lend someone in my Amazon family a audiobook I’d bought.

footflaps

My wife just uses my password and we share the one Prime account.

Always keep wondering if I should cancel Prime, but never actually have.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.