Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Have we done the new BPW uplift truck yet?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Noice!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Is it an EV ?

DezB
    Free Member

thats a bit of an upgrade! 😊

choppersquad
    Free Member

If the weather gets really hot (I know…. it’s Wales) surely it’s going to be like sitting in a greenhouse in the back of that? Also, it doesn’t look like it’s electric to me. Isn’t it going to kill all the little fluffy squirrels with its great big belching diesel engine?
    Looks really cool though. Went there last week but they weren’t using it.

julians
    Free Member

It takes an age to get everyone loaded up because it takes something like twice as many riders as the usual vans, but mainly because the trailer uses a totally different system for attaching the bikes and most people don’t know how to use it, so takes forever.

I guess as it beds in and is used by more people it should improve

CheesybeanZ

It’s chuffin awful to be in , it was a sweaty shite box in December and it’s way more sweaty and shite last month .

DezB
    Free Member

Don’t those big ol windows open?? Terrible design if not!

CheesybeanZ

Nope , there’s a single roof vent.

tillydog
    Free Member

Rumour has it that they came close to rolling it down the hill in Feb/March when they got a bit gung-ho about it’s capabilities.

nuke

I went in it in April…looks good but felt slower than the usual minibuses & took a while to load. Getting the door open at the top from inside isn’t very intuitive either…i failed but then actually, over the day, i didn’t see any passengers manage to open it

GolfChick
    Free Member

Yeah fits loads more people so takes a lot longer to get going which is pretty annoying when you’ve got limited time. Also pretty sweaty inside and gets smelly with the bodies. But the mounting system was tonnes better for the OH’s extra large 29″ Bird which is just as big as an extra large santa cruz despite some bloke’s insistence on not letting us use the other sort of 29er slot.

TheDTs
    Free Member

They needed something a bit more robust than the transits, they seemed to be falling apart as you drove up the hill. They must have spent a fortune on repairing them Wouldn’t want to find I had bought one of them off some forecourt in the valleys😮

TheDTs
    Free Member

How much does a chairlift cost, group buy?

P-Jay
    Free Member

looks good, but everyone I know who’s used it says it’s like going to hell in a handcart. Takes ages to arrive (it can’t turn around where the vans do) ages to load and is painfully slow getting up the hill.

Oh yeah, did anyone say hot yet?

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Where’s the angry Northerner from here who thought that this was all part of some sort of BPW conspiracy to slow down the uplift system?

JP

hot_fiat

AWD 4 ton? Eww. Aren’t they just an ancient Bedford with a plastic cab? Bet it does 8mpg.

Edit: oh it’s a daf. Still bet it does 8mpg.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Asked one of the uplift drivers about it one evening. Apparently it used to be a fire engine

somouk
    Free Member

This has been done a couple of times on here.

Holds more people than the transits but is slower and a lot less comfortable.

Northwind

I want a go! But I think possibly just one go. Even if it’s rubbish, it’s exactly what I’d want if I was running an uplift.

jjprestidge

Where’s the angry Northerner from here who thought that this was all part of some sort of BPW conspiracy to slow down the uplift system?

Might have been me? There’s no conspiracy… It’s just blatantly obvious that fast turnaround and uplift isn’t anywhere on BPW’s list of priorities. It’s a purpose built uplift venue where the uplift doesn’t start at the bottom, says it all really. And the more they build, the further the trailheads and exits get from the uplift and dropoff.

I’m sure it’s purely coincidental that the longer it takes you to get back to the pickup, the more tickets they can sell per van though.

None of this is stopping us going back again, even though it’s a bit of a jog from Edinburgh.

5lab

uk bike park had much better vehicles back in the day. I don’t know if they still use them in their current iteration (was just an old defender last time I went)

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Slow and hot. Avoid.
    Time runs to get transits

mc
    Free Member

I just hope I don’t have to endure it during my trip there in August.

You could probably buy a new transit for the extra it’ll cost to run that thing for a year.
    To me, it’s more a marketing gimmick, than a practical purchase.

It’s an old 4 wheel drive Leyland DAF, which given the relatively miniscule number produced, parts are either likely to be obsolete, or very expensive. Most parts are verging on obsolete even for standard Leylands of that era, let alone odd ball spec ones.
    I’d guess the H reg plate is probably pretty accurate, as if they’d gone newer than 91/92, then it would never meet the requirements for passenger use (ABS became mandatory for all vehicles carrying more than 16 passengers in 91/92, whereas it only became mandatory for rigid HGVs in 2001/2, so very few HGVs were specced with ABS prior to that, and it would be far too prohibitive to have it retrofitted).
    Being 4 wheel drive, it’ll have drum brakes all round, so braking performance will be verging on piss poor.
    And I’d guess it will probably consume 3 to 4 times the fuel a Transit will (I’d guess at best you’d be looking at mid-teens for MPG).

RustyNissanPrairie

I’ve chatted to the lifties at BPW and Antur Stiniog about the transits as run a Transit myself and apparently they aren’t bad reliability/breakages wise considering what they go through. That green mobile coffin looks grim though.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I feel the need to correct a couple of assumptions here.

It’s an old 4 wheel drive Leyland DAF, which given the relatively miniscule number produced, parts are either likely to be obsolete, or very expensive. Most parts are verging on obsolete even for standard Leylands of that era, let alone odd ball spec ones.
    [/Quote]

There’s still enough of them lying in military disposal yards that you can get any parts you need. Not cheap relative to car parts, but for lorry parts they’re entirely reasonable.

The big advantage is that they won’t need many parts. These things are built to be abused by squaddies with 4 tonnes on the back, trundling up and down a fire road with a couple of bikes in the back won’t hurt them. One of those will last longer than many, many transits doing this kind of work.

Being 4 wheel drive, it’ll have drum brakes all round, so braking performance will be verging on piss poor.

Say what now? Air over oil drums, like the vast majority of lorries. Weak they are not, they’ll have you through the windscreen if you’re not belted up.

[Quote]
    And I’d guess it will probably consume 3 to 4 times the fuel a Transit will (I’d guess at best you’d be looking at mid-teens for MPG).[/quote]

Fair enough, they do like a drink. 16-17 mpg on the road, so probably half that grinding up and down a fire road.

funkmasterp

Daft question – is it possible to ride up? That looks like no fun at all to me.

wrightyson
    Free Member

It isn’t fun to be in, much rather be in the transits. Lucked out only the once out of 9 lifts on our last visit where that was our ride when we got to the front of the queue, 14 year old laddo was well up for it till he’d tried it. Best seats are still the two up front next to the driver in one of the transits.

mc
    Free Member

Say what now? Air over oil drums, like the vast majority of lorries. Weak they are not, they’ll have you through the windscreen if you’re not belted up.

The vast majority of lorries have not had drums fitted for a long time. That Leyland would probably be some of the last generation to even have drums on the rear, as the LF that essentially replaced that series had discs all round to meet the then required braking performance around 2000.

Part of my apprenticeship was spent learning how to adjust brake shoes to get lorries to pass brake performance tests, and even the modern 7.5 tonne 4wd things we still deal with that have drums are piss poor compared to the equivalent 2wd versions with discs.

rugbydick

It’s a couple of years since I went to BPW. Didn’t use the uplift and we were generally faster that the vans (taking into account waiting/loading times). Also means you get to the top out of sync with the masses of people falling out of the vans.
    We didn’t die either.

Trimix
    Free Member

You can ride up, its not too bad a ride. Follows a trail of singletrack and takes about 20 mins. 30 if your not too fit. I normally ride up the first time to wake me up and warm up my legs. But Id have to be way fitter to do it all day and still properly ride the DH trails in a fit state.

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s a couple of years since I went to BPW. Didn’t use the uplift and we were generally faster that the vans (taking into account waiting/loading times)

Say what? With all respect there are some fast folk out there but I can’t see how you beat the uplift bus. The first climb for a quickie must be 15/20 mins and an average rider 25/30mins?
    Unless uber fit reckon after the 3rd run most would be struggling.

DezB
    Free Member

masses of people falling out of the vans

And that’s a problem? Once everyone disperses at the trailheads, you hardly see any other riders.
    Hard to see how you’d know you were faster than the vans too – you’d have to see who was getting on and wait for them at the top!

oikeith

Not comfy, very hot and sweaty in winter and takes ages whilst holding up the mini buses! I was relieved it wasn’t running few weeks ago when I went, although last few times Ive been its broken down during the day causing longer queues…

P-Jay
    Free Member

I probably pedal more than I use the uplift, but I only live 30 mins away so I don’t need to make a day of it.

The official climb is okay if you like climbs, the fire road that runs next to it makes it easier / quicker.

Once you get the lay of the land you can make the whole thing more efficient.

TBH despite living down the road in Cardiff, I go maybe once a year, it’s not my favourite place to ride.

scc999

Looks bloody horrendous.

Im sure they have a good reason for running something that’s slower and less pleasant that the transits, can’t imagine what that is though…….

wrightyson
    Free Member

Im sure they have a good reason for running something that’s slower and less pleasant that the transits, can’t imagine what that is though…….

Please expand on that comment. I’d love to know of the reasons?

daveylad
    Free Member

Its fine. Less legroom than a ryan air flight though. Inner tubes to hold the bikes on is far more efficient than strap faffage. As for riding up? No thanks.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

dickyhepburn

Subscriber
    Slow and hot. Avoid.
    Time runs to get transits

Worst Haiku ever, not even a third line?

Sweltering lift up
    A DAF, muddy bodies drives
    in spite of the cafe.

teethgrinder

Was on it in April and I thought it was OK TBH. Will be there again on Sunday, and don’t care if I’m on it or not. Far rather be in there than having to ride up.

Paul-B

I was there last Friday, did 10 runs…9 were uplifted in a Transit and once in the beast. Sat in the corner under one of the fans and it was fine. Didn’t seem much slower than the Transit but then it wasn’t completely full.

Maybe I’m just not that fussy

thered

I was in it on Saturday, when the sun shone it was awful in there. Stank and was very hot.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Have we done the new BPW uplift truck yet?’ is closed to new replies.