Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Have we done the cyclist riding into the back of the parked car yet?
  • wilko1999
    Free Member

Ouch.

imnotverygood

lol. Garmin induced I think.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’ve done it. Thank **** there was no camera. Though mine was more bloody, I broke the glass.

yunki
    Free Member

Saw that on facebook this morning.. Big guffaws 🙂

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf-md40CVNA[/video]

PiknMix
    Free Member

How embarrassing! I did this when I was younger, I was checking out a girl walking on the other side of the road, I went up the rear window over the roof and slid down the bonnet.

She laughed, a lot!

snownrock

Did it when I was 10, focussed on a snazzy speedo. Lost two teeth!

Shred
    Free Member

I’ve seen it happen. There was a big group of us on a MTB ride, going up a lane and one guy was chatting away and didn’t see a builders van parked on the side of the road. He put a big dent into the panel under the windscreen.

The builders all had a good laugh.

jam-bo

I skated into the back of a parked up Landy many moons ago. I was so drunk it didn’t hurt so much at the time but I felt it the next day.

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

convert

I broke both my wrists doing this. Ironically I was late cycling home after work to meet a financial consultant about setting up life insurance. A scaffolding lorry overtook me on a country road and then had to slam on its brakes because a car came out of a side road and I was on the rivet and a bit head down and didn’t clock it had stopped until too late. The driver had no idea I’d run into him and pulled away again with my broken front wheel caught around his rear number plate dragging me along with it. The scary thing was my throat only just missed the scaffolding poles sticking out the back of the flat bed as I crashed into the back of it and they grazed my shoulder instead. All in all, a painful experience!

bigblackshed

I know a CSO who rode into the back of a parked car on the longest straight road in the city. He’s got some really impressive scars too.

We didn’t wind him up about it. Much. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Ouch. I did it when I was 10- wanted to see how far I could ride with my eyes closed….. opened them after I landed on the bonnet of a parked Polo. the owner was gardening and was far more concerned about me than his car.

therevokid
    Free Member

Once when i was in my teens … still get ribbed about it 35 years on !

twinklydave

Did the same thing maaaaany years ago while out on a nightride (in the days before ‘proper’ lights), while smacking the torch I had gaffertaped to my stem as it had randomly turned itself off (for the thousandth time that evening).

Bloody hurt. And broke the bike. AND cost (my parents, ahem) quite a lot to repair.

Never done it since. 🙂

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Local club rider rode into a parked car staring at his Garmin, broke a couple of ribs and punctured a lung! We all called it a Stravccident…

sas78

Did it on my Raleigh Maverick in 1989, over the bonnet of a parked police car! Hobbled together, no one saw and off I went. Was 11 and so no long term effects! My mate wet himself, literally!

Couldn’t believe I didn’t see a luminous panda car though!

oldbloke
    Free Member

A friend of my brother did it to a car stopped at lights 30 odd years ago. Through the rear windscreen and ended up on the back seat of the car with the two cops in the front seats somewhat unimpressed.

br
    Free Member

Good job he was on his bike and rode into a car, and not the other way around…

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Yup done that, was looking behind me at the traffic as I was ready to cross, and smacked into the back of an MX5 – snapped the headtube off my Spooky Metalhead

D0NK

yeah I’ve done that as a kid aswell – looking down at my clickety clicking gears…. WHAM!. Fat lip, sore nose, bent bike.

Kids are stupid.

<edit> just to illustrate that point further, as kids we did the tying bikes together thing, stronger rider giving a friend a tow. Going down a ginnel with a lamp post at the end I went to the right of it, person I was towing went left. Idiot!

monkeyboyjc

Yep, also done that….

wishiwascalledsteve

Thought I was the only idiot to crash into a parked car.
    Riding to work on a dark foggy Sunday morning with little traffic around. Pull away from some lights on a straight road put my head down for a sprint, looked up when I was a couple of metres from a parked car. Didn’t have time to brake and went face first into the rear window. Would have come of OK if it hadn’t been for the windscreen wiper that’s ripped my mouth and nose.
    Finished my ride to work with half my face hanging off, my manager insisted that I go to A+E.
    Why is it you get two attractive student nurses patching you up when you’re wearing Lycra ghost white and shaking like a s**ting dog due to shock.

breadcrumb

Riding in the snow I was keeping my head down to stop snow getting in my eyes and rode into the back of a car.

Chinned myself on the roof and bent my lovely Tange forks. Must of been 13/14 at the time.

scandal42
    Free Member

Mate rode down a hill and straight into the lamppost at the bottom going full throttle fast (for a 12 year old), never forget the initial scream.

amedias
    Free Member

It’s surprising how many of us have done that isn’t it 😯

I did it in my teens, chatting away to my mate next to me, neither of us clocked the parked car until I was licking the back window

Best case of this I’ve ever seen though was on a wet and horrible commute, following a guy up ahead, he had his head down trying to crank along without getting too much rain in his face, clearly hadn’t clocked the parked van, he looked up at literally the last second, managed to swerve and just miss the van…. only to pile into the back of the queuing car next to it a few feet further along. Poor chap was so embarrassed but fortunately not hurt.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Seem to remember someone here inflicting grievous bikely harm by riding into a skip!
    Think it was the old “look down and check the gears – Boomf, where did that jump out from” scenario

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Cyclists did this to me three times whilst cycle commuting in London. This was slowing down gently with one hand, and using the other to wave and warn them. Too busy racing strava and/or each other (especially on embankment)

allthepies
    Free Member

Paging Samuri and PeterPoddy 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

wanted to see how far I could ride with my eyes closed

Darwin Award potential that one 🙂

colournoise

Did it in my teens. Bit the wing mirror off on my way over the bonnet and smashed a tooth. The ride home in the winter with an exposed nerve was fun…

Around the same time had a mate who rode into the back of an open van. Bike stopped dead, he didn’t…

dickster
    Free Member

Yeah, done it too. Turned to look over my shoulder, whilst riding donw a hill, and for some reason slightly turned the bars to the left. Ouch. Scars still visible on hands.
    This should be added to the ‘things you only do once’ thread.

egb81
    Free Member

When I was a kid I crashed in to the back of my neighbours car while learning to use spds. Thankfully at very slow speed.

scaled
    Free Member

Where’s Binners? I recall he had a good intoface with a parked car 😀

bigjim

Done this too but with a car that stopped in the middle of the road, I was going almost flat out. Landed in the bus lane, luckily no bus came as the shop owner that called the ambulance said the last person that did what I did (motorcyclist) got run over by a bus and died.

Overnight stay in hospital, CT scan, pain, comical swelling and bruising pretty much everywhere, broken collarbone I didn’t even notice as everything else hurt more, 2 months signed off work and a four figure repair bill to replace the rear of the 4×4 I hit luckily dealt with by insurance company.

Not doing that again…

legolam
    Free Member

I did it a couple of weeks ago. A van overtook me and then immediately cut in front of me. I was so busy giving him the finger that I didn’t realise he’d stopped in traffic and went into the back of his van. He gave me the finger back, which was probably fair.

flashes
    Free Member

Me and a mate cycled into a skip on the way back from the pub whilst watching a lady “getting ready for bed” in a bedroom with the curtains opened, well we were 16…………..

Klunk
    Free Member

lamppost, pissed riding back from a party turned back to talk to mate then just as I was going to look ahead again wallop, needed a tooth capped and had the biggest fat lip the next morning.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve done it too. Car stopped at traffic lights, I didn’t. Smashed his rear light. He got out, looked at me. Shook his head. Got back in and drove off. I was fine luckily. 😳

IIRC there was a chap on BikeRadar who actually paralysed himself doing this, and isn’t there a school of thought that Davis Phinney’s Parkinson’s is down to his ‘incident’ with the team car in the 80s?

GavinB

Done it as a teen also, doing a paper round before school, fumbling away with my knackered downtube shifters, next thing I know I’m sliding off the roof of a parked car. Wheel was taco’d.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Have we done the cyclist riding into the back of the parked car yet?’ is closed to new replies.