Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Have we done the curry house price increases?
  • Cougar

The only thing I do miss and cannot recreate are the fabulous naans.

You could watch reruns of The Golden Girls whilst cooking?

matt_outandabout

You could watch reruns of Last of the Summer Wine whilst cooking?

FTFY

ElVino

I’d prefer the put the prices up a little rather and down spec the ingredients, I’ve noticed a full portion of curry from some of the locals takeaways now has about 1/3 of a chicken breast in it. Also if you can find away to order directly from you takeaway rather than Deliveroo then do I know they appreciate it and you often get a discount for doing so. Deliveroo’s commission is 35% plus VAT on every order for independents.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

if you can find away to order directly from you takeaway rather than Deliveroo then do I know they appreciate it and you often get a discount for doing so.

OH’s daughter ordered something from the local Chinese via Just Eat the other day (something something internet social media youth of today serial killers something) and I went to collect it. The woman behind the counter thrust a menu in my hand and practically begged me to ring them to order next time.

Also the menu prices on JE were higher than in the shop and not by a small amount, so not only are they (presumably) charging the shop for the service but they’re fleecing the customers too.

derek_starship
    Free Member

(something something internet social media youth of today serial killers something)

Could you shed some light on this please? Did you suffer a TIA?

sparksmcguff

Curry houses / current house prices – see what you did there, eventually. 😅

Cougar

Could you shed some light on this please? Did you suffer a TIA?

Teenage Stepdaughter help!

pedlad

Curry houses / current house prices – see what you did there, eventually. 😅

Took a while😀 it’s how I read the original thread title initially and though that’s got to be worth it’s own thread😅

kelvin

I really want a curry now. Tomorrow…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Pay £3 for a sausage roll in a good bakery,

There’s a butchers in Knaresborough that do their own sausage rolls & steak pies which are awesome. £1 each. Thomas the Baker round the corner & in a more prominent position do a copy of the sausage roll, £2.80.
    Our local Indian’s haven’t raised their prices.

If you love a good curry check out https://www.thecurryclubhomecooking.com/?fbclid=IwAR2ktRigC4AzFHwEdavZAZQ-fXe_7_bYAnl7Hc6MnXe8D-KpawI12EvQ9f4 for some excellent recipes.

maccruiskeen

a mate supplies a lot of the curry houses with the raw ingredients (whtever they might be) in a chat the other day he said the prices have gone up at least 20% on the base stocks.

In a chaat the raw ingredient are cumin seeds, coriander seeds,fennel seed, dried mango powder, salt, pepper, ground ginger, carom seeds, dried mint and asafetida. 🙂

maccruiskeen

Also the menu prices on JE were higher than in the shop and not by a small amount, so not only are they (presumably) charging the shop for the service but they’re fleecing the customers too.

Just Eat pretty much doubled their a turnover over to £2.1 Billion  last year (although it also made a loss)

bruneep

they’ve took the opportunity to revamp the restaurant and change the style to a street food style.

not a look I’m keen on to be honest

GHill

My local place put the takeaway prices up 15-20% over the last six months or so. I’ll still pay it.

hugo
    Free Member

The woman behind the counter thrust a menu in my hand and practically begged me to ring them to order next time.

This is really important. Support your local takeaway and not investment bankers.

Rich_s

I think that the shop gets to choose their price on the delivery platforms. This information is anecdotal and 2 years old though! So it may have changed.

Spin
    Free Member

Use Kraft singles plastic cheese or a quality proper cheese.

I was listening to the Kitchen Cabinet on R4 the other week and Tim Anderson, who considers himself to be a real burger expert says processed cheese every time. He reckons real cheese makes the burger greasy and the processed stuff doesn’t because it is emulsified.

p7eaven
    Free Member

*doublepost

p7eaven
    Free Member

He reckons real cheese makes the burger greasy and the processed stuff doesn’t because it is emulsified.

Have to agree. Just don’t ever eat those orange rubber slices any other way. Have you tried them?

DiSCOSTANG!

Although ‘processed’ vs ‘real’ can be a confusing and often false distinction.

Generally, to make processed cheese, a portion of natural cheese is melted, emulsified and held together with preservatives, artificial ingredients and double the amount of salt used than that of natural cheese. It is then poured and reformed in to various other forms of cheese products. Here are some of the processed cheese that you may or may not have heard of before:

• Brie cheese
    • Camembert
    • Brick cheese
    • Muenster cheese
    • Stilton cheese
    • Cheddar cheese
    • Blue cheese
    • Mozzarella cheese
    • Swiss cheese
    • Parmesan cheese
    • Gorgonzola cheese

https://food.ndtv.com/food-drinks/processed-cheese-versus-natural-cheese-your-guide-to-cheese-1680557

zilog6128

Tim Anderson, who considers himself to be a real burger expert says processed cheese every time. He reckons real cheese makes the burger greasy

Nonsense, only if you’re trying to make a Big Mac-style burger where the “cheese” has melted down into some kind of sticky goo. Otherwise, I much prefer some real cheese e.g. Emmental which can be sliced thinly & then goes quite pliant when gently warmed rather than fully melted. Of course, depending on what else is in the burger, you might also try brie, stilton, goats cheese etc, which are better in chunks, warmed rather than melted.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Big Mac-style burger where the “cheese” has melted down into some kind of sticky goo

Cougar

I was going to comment “Sticky Dicky Goo” in response to that picture, but it sounds far more wrong than I intended so I shall resist.

Although ‘processed’ vs ‘real’ can be a confusing and often false distinction.

“Processed” is one of those terms favoured by people with a tenuous grasp of science (and often, reality) and it makes my teeth itch. Processed cheese as opposed to what, do we think it gets squeezed out of the cow like that?

There was some woman on the radio the other day (I think on Woman’s Hour, I was channel-hopping) papping on about “processed” food and “chemicals” and all the usual pseudo-scientific horseshit whilst the presenter sat there going “gosh, that’s really interesting” instead of “that’s the biggest load of bollocks I’ve heard in my life, get off my show you maniac”. Probably had a book to sell, they always do.

Cougar

He reckons real cheese makes the burger greasy

Aren’t burgers supposed to be greasy? I thought that was the point?

(Cordially yours, someone who’s never eaten a beef burger.)

Cougar

From that link above,

“Natural cheese is made of products using only simple and natural ingredients including fresh high quality milk, salt, enzymes and natural colors.”

Good job it doesn’t contain C12H22O11, sodium chloride, chymosin, or bixa orellana seed extract. That sounds like it’d be really bad for you.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Have we done the curry house price increases?’ is closed to new replies.