• This topic has 256 replies, 78 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by geex.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 257 total)
  • Have we done Mumsnet’s cyclists argument?
  • oldnpastit

Cyclists should just be allowed to go through red lights anyway.

In the US *everyone* can make a right on a red (and yet the sky doesn’t fall in). And they have laws in a few states allowing cyclists to go through a Stop sign or a red if it’s safe to do so. Again, the sky doesn’t fall in as a result.

Meanwhile car drivers seem to be perfectly OK with parking on double-yellows, and right on junctions, not to mention doing the overtake-and-immediately-turn-left manoeuvre – all of which are actually dangerous.

So I think the real reason car drivers get cross with cyclists jumping red lights is that they’re sat in their little tin boxes, destroying the environment, making themselves unhealthy, breathing shitty air. And who wouldn’t get cross with that – we’re just a convenient excuse.

It’s bullshit.

kayak23

Good video that. 👍

Cougar

Who’s “Tojv”?

philjunior
    Free Member

So I think the real reason car drivers get cross with cyclists jumping red lights is that they’re sat in their little tin boxes, destroying the environment, making themselves unhealthy, breathing shitty air. And who wouldn’t get cross with that – we’re just a convenient excuse.

Sat in their boxes, obeying the law.

Well, the ones that matter.

This obviously excludes the ones about running red lights (when they want to), speeding, staying off bike lanes and bus lanes… etc. etc.

oldnpastit

– Parking in cycle lanes
    – Speeding
    – Clogging up the roads
    – Overtaking on narrow roads with bikes in both directions
    – Spewing out NOx and particulates (just because you can’t see it doesn’t mean it’s not happening)
    – Driving into me because you weren’t paying attention

When car drivers stop doing those things perhaps we can talk about cyclists jumping red lights.

DezB
    Free Member

Did you mean to post that on the Mumsnet forum?

oldnpastit

Oh, yes, sorry.

And relax.

I just get a bit tired of being hassled by self-entitled car drivers. On road that has room for one car, parked cars along one side, I was overtaken yesterday while there was another a cyclist coming the other way.

I guess they figured if they went fast enough it would be fine; er, no, it wasn’t. I passed them about 15 seconds later at the next junction when we caught up with the other people clogging up the roads. What absolute numbskulls drivers are.

I bet car drivers don’t even pay road tax.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Overtaking a cyclist whilst texting
    Overtaking a cyclist when there’s not a gap in front to pull into so simply moving left while level with the cyclist
    Being so oblivious to the 50 lumen flashing rear light, the bright yellow shoes, the bright yellow gloves and the orange gilet that you have to lock your front wheels to avoid driving into the back of a cyclist

I’m that cyclist but someone on a bike jumped a red light so it’s all fair.

Can you tell I am about sick of absolute throbbers behind the wheel treating me like I don’t matter or even exist?

molgrips
    Free Member

In the US *everyone* can make a right on a red (and yet the sky doesn’t fall in).

Different situation. In most of the US the buildings are way back from the roads and there’s good sight all around you. In the cases where there isn’t, the junctions are set up with filters or ‘no turn on red’ signs which are relatively common.

In the UK, the default is no left turn on red, but in the cases where you can safely do it you get filters. So it’s not that different, it’s just the default that is different because of the general environment.

theotherjonv

Who’s “Tojv”?

never heard of him. What context?

Cougar

Aha. My mistake, as you were.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Went to mumsnet. Didn’t like it.

Sweary Cougs was weirding me out. 😉

hols2
    Free Member

Ignore. Linking failure.

Cougar

I’m never sweary.

geex
    Free Member

I don’t consider myself a cyclist. Just someone who loves riding bikes and does it a lot.
    On my commute each way I jump 19 red lights, ride 4 pavements and hop on and off a few more and on the way in I ride one quiet one way street (Lane) the wrong way.
    All of the above is done safely. No one is ever in danger from my actions and no one is inconvenienced in the slightest.
    **** blindly obeying the law when the law is stupid, ill thought out and actually more dangerous than not obeying it.
    Cycle lane planning is a complete joke here and quite a few are just plain dangerous if you stick to the advised cycle lanes/filters etc.

From every thread I’ve ever seen there Mums net is far more honest and fair than this place. Not that I’ve bothered looking at the link. Why would I care?

TBH the swear filter here is pretty ridiculous considering there are no children on the forum.
    Whether the moderators here swear or not is irrelevant.

13thfloormonk

**** blindly obeying the law when the law is stupid, ill thought out and actually more dangerous than not obeying it.

Says every motorist doing 35 in a 20 because <insert ill-thought-out justification here>…

Bunnyhop

I’m a woman and I’m ashamed of the way they (over on mumsnet) talk about stuff they know nothing about.

Pop them all on a bike is my opinion and see how they get on.

Oh and as mentioned above we are people who ride bikes.

Bez

there are no children on the forum

Do you have some sort of device for detecting children on the internet?

geex
    Free Member

I don’t actually care what anyone else says 13thfloormonk

nothing about my ride is ill thought out.

geex
    Free Member

how is it absurd Bez

No children read STW

Look who it’s full of and what they talk about. Why would a child be interested in anything they type?
    That’s right.
    They wouldn’t.

The swear filter is absurd.
    no other bike furum I use has one.
    No other forum is as constantly “offended” as here though. I honestly can’t imagine how some of the worst for it on here even manage to get through a single day in real life.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

borrowed from another forum but I read it today and it seems to fit with this thread:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2018/10/09/cyclists-are-better-drivers-than-motorists-finds-study/

Nick Day of Chris Knott Insurance said an analysis of his firm’s crash data showed that cyclists make less than half the number of insurance claims as non-cyclists.

13% of the firm’s insured drivers make at least one claim per year, found Day, but this fell to 6% for cyclists who were insured on the firm’s cyclist-driver policy.

Day believes cyclists tend to be more aware of their surroundings than motorists.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

…and just for the sake of clarity, anytime anyone ever raises issues relating to compulsory helmet wearing, insurance, hi-viz, whatever you can guarantee that they aren’t interested in promoting safer cycling. They simply want cyclists off the road.

Bez

The swear filter is absurd.
    No other forum is as constantly “offended” as here though. I honestly can’t imagine how some of the worst for it on here even manage to get through a single day in real life.

You’re upset that you can’t put some rude words on this particular corner of the internet, and you’re dissing other people for getting upset too easily?

benpinnick

I’m never sweary.

Yeah but what if we put two of you in a room?

fadda

Does 13 still count as a child? Because, if so, I know for sure there’s at least 1 on here fairly regularly…

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Yeah but what if we put two of you in a room?

What, there are 2 cougars??
    I wonder who would win in a cat fight, Cougar or Panther???

kerley
    Free Member

I don’t actually care what anyone else says 13thfloormonk

nothing about my ride is ill thought out.

When you run a red light and get hit you may change your view.

Only joking, of course you won’t you are awesome at all times. Everybody knows that.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I wonder who would win in a cat fight, Cougar or Panther???

Cougar would win easily.

bigyinn
    Free Member

What, there are 2 cougars??

I understand they are planning an expedition to climb the twin peaks of Mt Killimanjaro later this summer.

Cougar

No children read STW

Can you show me your stats for that please?

Then **** off and use those. You’re long overdue your 85th lifetime banning so wind your neck in.

molgrips
    Free Member

Because being offended doesn’t stop you living life?

You don’t really think that when we point out someone’s said something bad, we go and cry in a dark room all day after that?

geex
    Free Member

No Bez. I’m not upset. I’m a big boy.
    I just find it absurd.
    I did say.

funkmasterp

The red light thing is tricky. There are quite a few roads near me where visibility is much better when you’re on a bike. You can stop further forwards than a car and are generally sat a bit higher. I don’t jump lights, but often think why am I sat here when I can see nothing is coming. That’s a long winded way of saying I can understand why some cyclists jump red lights.

geex
    Free Member

Cougar.
    My neck isn’t wound in or out.
    Calm down and stop throwing your weight around.
    It’s not your forum so please stop taking what others think about it personally.
    If it really does make you feel big go ahead and ban me and everyone else who has different viewpoint to your own.

geex
    Free Member

Kerley.
    I already said every red light I jump I do so safely so I’m not sure how you think it’s ever going to get me “hit”.

geex
    Free Member

Any 13yr old who hasn’t ever experienced swearing is leading an extremely sheltered upbringing.

whitestone
    Free Member

I have to say that @geex comes across as the most ill-mannered, self-centred, condescending prat on here. I thought, giving him the benefit of doubt, it might just be an internet persona but the post above about red light jumping indicates otherwise.

Assuming the post wasn’t just trolling then he’s doing all cyclists a disservice.

Bez

Any 13yr old who hasn’t ever experienced swearing is leading an extremely sheltered upbringing.

But that doesn’t mean it’s good business sense to host a forum full of effing and jeffing.

My 9 year old’s been exposed to swearing. That doesn’t mean I speak in front of him the way I do down the pub.

Why do you feel it’s important for 13 year olds to read sweary messages from you?

cromolyolly
    Free Member

In the US *everyone* can make a right on a red (and yet the sky doesn’t fall in).

There are a fair number of places where that is true. But you do have to stop first. If it goes wrong the turner is more likely to be found at fault. They also quite sensible put in filter lanes with yield signs so right (in their case) turners aren’t controlled at all by the lights. It all works pretty well. Except they tend to ignore cyclists and pedestrians. You pretty much have to walk out in front of a car to get them to (you hope) yield to you, as they are required to do.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 257 total)

The topic ‘Have we done Mumsnet’s cyclists argument?’ is closed to new replies.