• This topic has 36 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Roly.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Have we done guys program last night?
  • He’s great…I love watching him,very entertaining…what has happened to this country? 40000 folk used to build bicycles here….who are the 3 bike manufacturers left? Orange but who else?

andyl
    Free Member

Have we done guys program last night?

yes

you smell like a Tanner 😉 😀

Sorry just watching it….

velomanic
    Free Member

Pashley & Brompton?

roverpig

Brompton?? Pashley?? Moulton?? AVD (Windcheetah recumbent trike) ??

I think a lot of pashleys come in from abroad…r they still made here?

ratherbeintobago

who are the 3 bike manufacturers left?

A failure of research, I think. Depending on your definition of manufacturers there are a lot more.

I think a lot of pashleys come in from abroad…r they still made here?

According to their website, they’re made in Stratford. And it’s not like Halifax’s finest don’t import all the hardtails from Taiwan.

Andy

Argos and bob Jackson?

tollah
    Free Member

Sofaking makes fake bikes in his shed, do they count? 🙂

rudebwoy
    Free Member

he’s Dibnahs’s son with a makeover– complete with buggering handles

monogramman
    Free Member

Nice to see mave making a return.

I thought he was off that wooden bike…..

rudebwoy
    Free Member

heard he wants to ‘take you out, dave…….

Ha he’s not my type….

TheWrongTrousers

Pace, Nukeproof ?

monogramman
    Free Member

I thought he was off that wooden bike…..

There was a quick cut to the next scene there I think “Ooh you B…”

Some insight as to how he rides maybe, I’d be interested to see headcam footage from his rides if anybody knows of any.

A pal followed him….just… down spooky…he’s pretty handy by all accounts.(one of my fastest mates)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Thought it was an excellent programme. He’s a modern day Fred, just quicker!
    But…Fred’s dead, so if you don’t like Guy, who else could do it? (no, not you)

sofaking
    Free Member

keep it down tollah, they’ll all want one

project
    Free Member

Best series on the tv so far this year,just shows how our industrial base has been destroyed and the skills along with it though.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

bring back wooden wheels !

Popocatapetl

I was disappointed that he didn’t say “Chief” or “Hard graft” during the programme 😀

bencooper
    Free Member

Brompton and Pashley are the two big manufacturers left, Moulton may well be the third he’s thinking of – then it gets down to who you class as a “manufacturer”. There are a bunch of frame builders who build stock bikes (as compared to custom ones).

I, working on restarting products of the Speed Ross recumbent this winter, so maybe another soon 🙂

faz083
    Free Member

I love the guy (pun intended 😛 ), but can’t help but find the shows a little mainstream. The railway one could have been a 6 week show in itself (and probably should have been!). Also some of the elements which ‘need doing’ aren’t really related to the rest of the show (like him making a shovel to restore an engine? bit odd).

Also does anyone else find that some people are patronising him a bit? He’s not an idiot!

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Custom bike builders, like Mercian, Longstaff still going strong… but the days of mass producing have long gone.

bencooper
    Free Member

Have you seen pictures of Brompton’s factory? They definitely do mass production.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

ok ,ben,in their info they say they have no assembly line, each bike is made by a person, bit by bit assembling– i was thinking of the old raleigh plant in nottingham.

those days have gone for now, bit like most manufacturing.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Hi – what programme was this on? Time / channel would help tooo.

Thanks

DezB
    Free Member

Hi – what programme was this on? Time / channel would help tooo.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSbab334lDQ[/video]

Mintman
    Free Member

Its called “How Britain Works” and has Guy Martin involved in a different engineering project each week. Its on Ch4 at 8pm (I think) on a Sunday.

Dagnamit – beaten to it

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Cheers – I woll try & watch it on catch-up TV!!

rootes1

Have you seen pictures of Brompton’s factory? They definitely do mass production.

Think they are on for 35,000 bikes this year.

bencooper
    Free Member

ok ,ben,in their info they say they have no assembly line, each bike is made by a person, bit by bit assembling– i was thinking of the old raleigh plant in nottingham.

Well, they do have a kind-of production line – it’s actually a clever system with bike stands that roll from station to station, locking into fittings on the floor.

But old-fashioned production lines aren’t the best way to build bikes – I had a look around the Koga Miyata factory a few years ago, and they make thousands of bikes a year but have no production line at all, each bike is made by one person. That way every detail is sorted by one person who knows how the whole bike is meant to go together.

zippykona

A truly excellent programme. I love the fact that the factory made no pollution at all and that the machine had cost 50p to run in 130 years.
    Guy and Charlie Boorman for a new grown up top gear type programme?

ThePinkster

Aren’t Dawes still put together in the UK?

D0NK

Aren’t Dawes still put together in the UK?

assembled in the UK? ie atleast 1 component is bolted onto the frame?
    Not sure what constitutes “assembled” but wiki says

Since 2001, Dawes has been owned by Tandem Group plc, owners of Lincolnshire-based Falcon Cycles.[4][2], which also owns Falcon Cycles[5] Frames are now all manufactured in the Far East, some using Reynolds 631 tubing, but the bicycles all assembled at the Falcom factory in Brigg, North Lincolnshire.[6] Dawes was one of the first companies to produce a complete single speed mountain bike, the Edge One.

Roly

This weeks ‘Grafter/Grafting’ count a disappointing 7 or 8.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Have we done guys program last night?’ is closed to new replies.