Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Have we done dash cam recommendations recently?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Looking for front and rear camera that can be hardwired.

Have a Nextbase 522 that I had fitted to my company car. It was as buggy as hell when I first got it 18 months ago. Head unit and SD card were replaced several times before it settled down. However, since then, so long as the card is formatted every couples of weeks it’s been okay.

Also looking at Blackvue, but to get GPS, that needs the dr750x which is another price point up but looks like a good unit. Polarized lenses and SD cards are expensive for them as well.

Keep hearing good things about the Viofo A129 but I can’t find anyone local to supply and fit.

If I’ve got this right, only the Blackvue will do 60fps and then, only on the front camera.

Any advice?

zilog6128

I’ve got the Blackvue 4K which I think only does 30 fps, to be fair I’d take that as even with 4K, with a fish-eye lens it’s a very wide image & numberplates etc are only just readable sometimes!

It’s bollocks about the special SD cards, you can just get the smallest Blackview one and pop in a decent quality other brand e.g. Sandisk Extreme for a fraction of the price.

I got the kit to hardwire it (although a mate who is an installer did it for me). Never had to use it in anger, it does (and always has!) work 100% reliably though, never any bugs or instances of it not recording & never had to reformat the card.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thanks, thought that might be the case with the card. After all, if they really are that different, then they’re not really SD cards any more.

Isn’t the idea that lower Res allows greater frame rate which gives you more chance to freeze frame on a number plate without it being blurry?

grahamt1980

I have the viafo, fitted it myself with the kit. Was easy really, just make sure you remember to attach the earth otherwise it doesn’t work.
    Camera seems good it’s tiny so sits out of the way behind my mirror, i only know it is there because it has a startup noise when i turn the car on.

Edit: bought it off amazon when it was on a deal

Onzadog
    Free Member

Happy enough with the idea of an install from and electrical point of view. It’s hiding all the cables behind the trim and headlining that strikes me as a ball ache. Besides, if one person supplies and kits, then if I have any issues, it’s one port of call and no arguments.

grahamt1980

Yeah that’s fair enough.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Happy enough with the idea of an install from and electrical point of view. It’s hiding all the cables behind the trim and headlining that strikes me as a ball ache.

It’s generally as simple as pull on the trim, poke wire in, push trim back. Even expensive cars aren’t that we’ll screwed together inside it all just pops into place.

tthew

Isn’t the idea that lower Res allows greater frame rate which gives you more chance to freeze frame on a number plate without it being blurry?

I read that somewhere, (OK, it was on here, but I can’t remember who said it) and I’ve run mine like that since. Good enough quality to submit to the police, and will catch number plates of cars coming towards you round bends or obstructions.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yes there was a topic, Next Base.

You have updated the firmware haven’t you? My 3xx was buggy as well until I did that and it’s been fine since.

maccruiskeen

(OK, it was on here, but I can’t remember who said it)

The venerable Mr Perchy Panther if memory serves.

tthew

Yes there was a topic, Next Base.

I think this is one subject that bears reasonable repetition as new models and manufacturers come to market. I’m sure the Nextbase ones are great, but as above there are lots of cheaper/quality options.

househusband

Funnily enough I recently ditched my Nextbase 412GW after (again) finding it hadn’t recorded something I wanted to see… after much comparing I bought one of the new Garmin models, the Dash Cam 57 – especially after finding out I could get a discount.

Very pleased with it, such a tiny and more discrete camera and the mount is just a £1 coin size disc stuck to the windscreen. Software on phone seems quite slick too. Also has subscription add-ons for speed cameras, etc.

ossify

Not got one myself but also looking to buy, preferably with rear view as well.

Nextbase does not seem popular on this thread but I did see this front + rear bundle (refurbished) on ebay for £99, which seems good.

The Nextbase caught my eye mainly because it records at 60fps at full resolution which is hard to find.

Onzadog
    Free Member

My 522 drops to 30fps if I plug in a rear camera I think.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Have we done dash cam recommendations recently?’ is closed to new replies.