Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Have we done a Brit winning a world cup?
  • matt_outandabout

Good effort Charlie!

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/scotland/article/20190520-scottish-cycling-news-Charlie-Aldridge-wins-round-UCI-Mountain-Bike-Junior-Series-in-Germany-0

(If you don’t know who Charlie is, he is rather handy on a bike having won some Enduro and xc. A couple of folk on here have coached him in the past as a youngster. Last time I rode with him, lungs over the handlebars, he was manualing up Dumyat while chatting…)

mick_r

Yeah amazing ride. I saw his win at Cannock last week which was pretty dominant – nearly 4 minutes faster than 2nd place (and none of them are slow).

Very well done and totally overlooked / unreported by a lot of places.

big_scot_nanny

Awesome! Tremendous to see young success, thanks for sharing. We have a wee racer round here too, its awful just how chronically shit I am at everything compared that fella, and he doesn’t even use a dropper!

Did he jump over any fences into golf club car parks on the way to that win?
    *sound of BSN’s door slamming and feet running off into the distance*

matt_outandabout

It’s been known…

johnnystorm

British Cycling will be having him measured up for a track bike as we speak.

tails
    Free Member

Yeah amazing ride. I saw his win at Cannock last week which was pretty dominant – nearly 4 minutes faster than 2nd place (and none of them are slow).

Do they ride the normal Cannock course? How many laps. Good for him, xc seems really popular on the red bull tv. How are the best junior times compared to the men’s elite? I think in downhill there’s a junior woman who’s almost as quick as the podium women’s elite.

ampthill

Well done Charlie

How are the best junior times compared to the men’s elite? I think in downhill there’s a junior woman who’s almost as quick as the podium women’s elite.

I happened to be at the 1994 Downhill world championships in Vail. Anne-Caroline Chausson cried on the podium as she had the fastest female time of the day and thought they would make overall world champion not junior world champion. Well that is how I remember it

trailwagger
    Free Member

Has he won a world cup? or 1 round of a world cup series. The article doesn’t make it clear and my xc knowledge is lacking.

kayla1
    Free Member

British Cycling will be having him measured up for a track bike as we speak.

I hope not :/

tails
    Free Member

I think he’s won the first round of the World Cup trailwagger.

Why would anyone give up xc riding to ride around a velodrome. Unless they are paying very good money it would be boring as.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Cracking result. Thanks for linking that.

Why would anyone give up xc riding to ride around a velodrome. Unless they are paying very good money it would be boring as.

Given BCs Olympic medal obsession I’d wager there is much more of a living in track where there are a million and one medals up for grabs vs XC where there’s one and, historically we’re not great.

So yeah, dull change I’d think but if it were a choice between ride track for a living or fly a desk for a living and ride xc for a hobby I can understand why you’d be tempted.

Of course BC might come good and support him as an xc rider properly.

joefm

Or maybe industry could support him if he continues to progress.

Would be a shame to lose him to BC/Track. Not even sure they make much of a living tbh. I know plenty of promising juniors that got burnt out by BC and their olympic obsession. its poisonous.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Have we done a Brit winning a world cup?’ is closed to new replies.