Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Have we complained about the BBC web and app logo redesigns yet?
  • onewheelgood

If not, why not?

ads678

What’s your issue with it?

redthunder
    Free Member

Who cares 🙂 MOney well spent 😉

CountZero

If not, why not?

No

1) Haven’t seen it.

2) Don’t care. My opinion wouldn’t change anything anyway.

redthunder
    Free Member

redthunder
    Free Member

Couple of comments from the Metro Rag, might have a point.

5 July, 2021
    I might be wrong here. It was mentioned that a new font was created especially for the BBC and included in the logo change. If the previous font was owned by a 3rd party , long term the BBC would save money by not paying to licence the old font.

5 July, 2021
    The previous font was Gill sans, which is expensive to licence. BBC were spending over 1m a year on the licensing due to the amount of traffic (one of the most visited websites in the world), various digital applications and number of type weights and styles. The new font which was done by Dalton M…See more

BigJohn

Using Gill Sans as a font is “problematic”. Designed by Eric Gill, who did the sculpture Prospero and Ariel on the BBC building and now revealed as a child abuser.
    I’m more puzzled that the new BBC Sounds logo is almost identical to the Duotone logo on my windsurfing sails.

binners

I know it’s from 2015 but I think Perfect Curve nailed it last time out, yeah?

The raccoon is already in the trash can

devbrix
    Free Member

Not the end of the world but they certainly don’t stand out amongst other apps like the old designs.

redthunder
    Free Member

Its all in the way the centre of the “W” is slightly lower than the outer limbs. Sublime 🙂

See STW above.

cookeaa

I’d not really noticed a logo change apart from the BBC sounds app, which I didn’t really care about.

TBH OP it’s hardly a burning issue for most people is it, scroll below the top banner in their news page and you get a bit more context…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news

kelvin

Personally… I consider the icons a disaster. What’s the weather one? Some blue sun rays? Why does the Sounds one look like dominos? Why so shy of the word Radio? No idea what the iPlayer one is about… and again, why funnel away all TV related pages inside that?

kelvin

Oh, great… the search still uses an index with all the channel and programme pages… but when you click on some of them you get now’t. Off to “iPlayer” and “Sounds” with you… (which are really watching/listening platforms… the channels still live outside those platforms, and most people watch/listen to programmes outside those platforms).

kelvin

Oh, and I really dislike that “W”.

redthunder
    Free Member

“Oh, and I really dislike that “W”.”

Love it 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

What’s the weather one? Some blue sun rays?

Rain rays, I thought. 😀

The Sounds one is quite good.

Why didn’t they just use a podium for Sport though? Have I missed what it’s supposed to be?

Why not a simple “play” icon for iPlayer?

tonyd

The thing that bothered me the most was that the weather app icon took so long to update. On my phone it sits between BBC News and BBC Sport, so was playing merry hell with my OCD tendencies. Fortunately it only lasted a couple of weeks so balance is returned.

StirlingCrispin

Had a rant to the wife about them.
    They are too similar – and when next to each other on my phone I can’t tell them apart.

Don’t use the BBC weather app as I want to know what the weather forecast is.

binners

The problem lies with the brief.

Some bright spark, probably somebody visually illiterate, obviously had the genius idea ‘lets make all the icons out of 3 boxes to represent the three boxes of the BBC logo!”

And from that point on, everybody involved was on a hiding to nothing

I pity the designer picking that one up. Talk about a hospital pass.

It’s a stupid idea to begin with, so the results were always going to be a dogs dinner. They really are spectacularly bad though.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Designed by Eric Gill, who did the sculpture Prospero and Ariel on the BBC building and now revealed as a child abuser.

Been known for decades. I had one major publisher who refused to use Gill on any projects as he had been buggered by him at school.

jimmy

The raccoon is already in the trash can

That’s great.

BigJohn

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s a stupid idea to begin with, so the results were always going to be a dogs dinner. They really are spectacularly bad though.

It’s not a terrible idea in itself IMO, but the implementation seems sloppy and I suspect there wasn’t enough pushback from the relevant internal stakeholders.

A few minor changes could have made them a lot better IMO. See my above comments on Sport & iPlayer (which could have worked better if it was more obviously a “play” triangle, even using the three blocks).

I suspect the News one is intended to be an abstract page layout, with lead, downpage and NIB (news-in-brief) stories. But I’m a former news sub-editor and I’m not sure if laypeople would get that?

I assume the Bitesize one is books on a shelf, that’s OK I think.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

They are completely wibble, especially the blue sun rays.

Someone at the BBC admired Boris’ spaffing of billions over the last two years!

onewheelgood

What’s your issue with it?

I have, by choice, a small phone (Xperia XZ1C). The new icons might work for all those people who have a phone bigger than their head, but on mine they are not very distinctive. The blocks of colour are very small. For people with poor vision it must be even worse, and I’d be interested to hear what the colourblind think of them.

tonyd

Being the BBC I’m sure there will have been several committees ensuring that the new design was as inclusive as possible.

I wonder if anyone will even notice, let alone care enough to fill a page on an internet forum, in a months time….?!

binners

It’s not a terrible idea in itself IMO

It’s an absolutely awful idea. It’s pretty much the wrongest possible way to go through any creative process. I can just imagine the meeting, or probably countless meetings that came up with the brief. Its got design by committee written all over it

You’re effectively placing the designer in a straightjacket, right from the off, that they can’t deviate from just for the sake of something largely pointless. I bet they audibly groaned when they read the brief.

You might as well impose something completely arbitrary like every design must contain a chemical formula and a llama

It was the designers at Wolff Olins who came up with the results, who I imagine know what they’re doing, but even they couldn’t polish that particular turd

It’s just a rubbish idea. Full stop.

kelvin

The idea probably came from Wolff Olins… it has all the hallmarks of their work over the last 10-15 years. The final look of the icons has that deliberately wonky thing they love doing as well… “Make it look like you can’t be sure whether a child did it or not… to make it friendly, social, lovable, youthful, organic, egalitarian and ‘in touch'”. Which brings us back to the 2012 Olympics… TwentyTwelve/W1A is scarily believable. The Perfect Curve stuff is only pushed that little bit further for comic effect… that’s the beauty of it. And Jessica Hynes’ delivery is just perfect.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Sport one should have been a podium. $1000000 please.

ads678

I honestly can’t believe anyone gives a shit. They all look sufficiently different on my phone, but I’d just read the word next to them if I couldn’t tell what the symbol meant…

kelvin

I’d just read the word next to them

Well, in that layout, everyone will, because the graphic element adds nothing whatsoever, beyond some colour association. Little splurges of colour. Reduce them to greyscale, and they would look pretty random.

the-muffin-man

Sport one should have been a podium. $1000000 please.

Not inclusive though – would indicate there are winners and losers! 🙂

kayla1
    Free Member

The rehashed weather app now needs either a location input each time you use it or permanent access to your phone’s location 😐 The old one just stored the postcode you wanted the weather for rather than ‘need’ access to the phone’s location which was much better.

tthew

I bet they audibly groaned when they read the brief

I reckon they did a little dance when the paycheque arrived! 😁

doris5000

The weather one just updated on my phone the other day – had no idea what app it was for, for a while (i’m not very clever)

Also, the sport one is just the PowerBI logo on its side

chakaping
    Free Member

Also, the sport one is just the PowerBI logo on its side

More evidence that Bill Gates is trying to take over the world.

footflaps

I honestly can’t believe anyone gives a shit. They all look sufficiently different on my phone, but I’d just read the word next to them if I couldn’t tell what the symbol meant…

They do look a bit shit!

Although as a non license payer, I really DGAS….

Drac

As a license paying I can’t say I give a shit.

Cougar

Likewise.

But they are awful.

onewheelgood

Although I started the thread, I’m not really that bothered either. I was just genuinely surprised that no one else had started a thread about them yet.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.