Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Have the Malverns just got gnarlier?
  • jimster
    Free Member

And no-one’s told me?

Reasonn I’m asking is I was walking the dogs yesterday morning down from the Worcestershire Beacon and two blokes were pushing monster 6inch travel downhill rigs, with pads, full faced helmets up to the Beacon!!

Schweiz
    Free Member

6 inches is hardly a downhill rig these days. That’s 150mm which is typical “trail bike” travel.

jimster
    Free Member

Okay, may have been 8 inch travel – just looked overkill for the Malverns.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Maybe they’re the only bikes they own.

aracer
    Free Member

Sssh – don’t go telling everybody about the secret Malverns downhill track. Local trails for local people.

jimster
    Free Member

Local trails for local people.

Like the ones posted on You tube?

psling
    Free Member

I’ll ask Tracy Moseley, I believe she trains there regularly 🙄

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I belive it’s been quite steep there for many thousands of years, but maybe it’s had a growth spurt?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

That sounds like the Wollybacks when they ride around Delamere… 😕

xterramac
    Free Member

Its quite a fun track, very steep at one point, no jumps though :cry:..
    Might be fun to ride it after running 50yards to pick up your bike in a large group one evening as it can be re rooted to finish very near a pub 😉

aracer
    Free Member

I’ll ask Tracy Moseley, I believe she trains there regularly

I’ve certainly had her stop to let me past when we were going opposite ways. I presume as a downhiller she’s not that fit and needed the rest 😈

xterramac
    Free Member

“i presume as a downhiller she’s not that fit” ha ha ha you are joking right? :D(as its quite the opposite… Todays downhillers are alot fitter than the you would imagen, even none elite level DH takes a good level of fitness- anyone whos pushed up all morning, then to race 3 times in the afternoon will im sure agree)

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Going off on a tangent with the DH fitness thing, I had my gps tracking on for yesterdays mini-DH race at FoD. I had it turned on every time i was away from my car and in 5 practise runs and 2 race runs i did 920m vertical ascent but only covered 13.5km. Rode about 200m of that until the bike became too much with spikes and a few extra lbs of mud. Suprised by the ascent i did.

Artillerydave
    Free Member

Teetosugars – Member

That sounds like the Wollybacks when they ride around Delamere…

Ouch, by the way that is the Woollybacks. Ever ridden with us? On the basis of this thread I’d guess not.
    where are trails?
    We ride in plenty of places in the North West though.

rOcKeTdOg

Ouch, by the way that is the Woollybacks. Ever ridden with us? On the basis of this thread I’d guess not.

i’d say by the sound of it he’s probably ridden past you…laughing 😉

mboy
    Free Member

Maybe they’re the only bikes they own.

This is the most likely answer I’d say. I know a good few riders that can only afford/manage the expense of one bike, despite the fact they’d like many. A few of those have prioritised a DH bike as they race DH, doesn’t stop them riding their DH bikes in places more usually suited to an XC bike though.

And a 150mm travel bike is an XC bike to lots of people these days anyway!

geebee
    Free Member

given he doesnt know where the trails are, (see post above), he is probably assuming the mountain bikes have been used to pootle round the fireroad, same as him.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

geebee – Member
    given he doesnt know where the trails are, (see post above), he is probably assuming the mountain bikes have been used to pootle round the fireroad, same as him.

2 years ago, yeah, I didn’t know the trails… 🙄

I do now..

And yup, RD is quite correct!! 😉

bazza17
    Free Member

The woollybacks are a sociable club – probably why teetosugars is not a member. Anyone can stretch their legs round Dele but it hardly somewhere anyone should be hunting strava segments.

It is used by the club for some midweek training and preparing / assessing riders that are returning to off road biking. It is a sensible policy from a responsible accreditted club.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

The woollybacks are a sociable club – probably why teetosugars is not a member.

Haha.. No dramas Brazza, I’ll just dig out my Heckler, wear some knee & elbow pads and them just head around the single track with you guys then eh???

🙄

My original comment was meant as a tongue in cheek comment about others that ride Delamere, not a dig, just a bit of light hearted banter, clearly though you felt strong enough about it to come on here and post for the first time in almost a year… 😕

Klunk
    Free Member

I don’t get this over biked for the terrain thing. You can get a 20ft drop on a 25ft descent.

bazza17
    Free Member

To be fair, I am a little embarrassed that people pad up for dele. I believe it is to protect from those nettles and brambles found on those routes you don’t know about.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I believe it is to protect from those nettles and brambles found on those routes you don’t know about.

Ah, ok.. 😳

andycas
    Free Member

I’ll put my 2 peneth in and yes I don’t post on here too much but don’t call the site either ,if you get my drift what you have done is pissed off a group of friends who do everything they can to help people out and enjoy mountain biking so you can see what sort of club we are close nit to everybody in the club and further afield so piss one off piss us all off maybe someday you could get out with us and see if you could teach us some of dele we don’t know , and remember we all work so however we pad up or over bike ourselves we are only trying to provent injury (think next time you put your tongue in cheek)

rOcKeTdOg

Do all woollyback members have the ability to see into other riders minds and read their trail knowledge? no wonder John Climber seemed to know where he was going when he came on a NW Alps ride ❓

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

andycas – Member
    I’ll put my 2 peneth in and yes I don’t post on here too much

Stick around, we’ll help you with your grammar and punctuation. That is, after all, what STW is for.

andycas
    Free Member

Cool and I’ll show you how to ride your bike

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Chuffing brilliant…it’s a deal!

geebee
    Free Member

Great forum lads.

Informative and educational – including being scored for your use of written English. Not sure it’s relevant to the discussion at hand, but hey ho.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Lets just be clear about this geebee, no one was scored for their use of written English. Rather, an offer was made to help, if they stick around…

Chunk
    Free Member

Been out with the woollies a few times, reet miserable bunch of gits who take it all far too seriously 👿

forse
    Free Member

With my limited knowledge of delamere there’s quite a meaty road gap. I always wear ‘pads’ on my ‘6 inch downhill bike’ going off that. Presume that makes me a tit?
    Hilarious thread 😉

Teetosugars
    Free Member

With my limited knowledge of delamere there’s quite a meaty road gap. I always wear ‘pads’ on my ‘6 inch downhill bike’ going off that. Presume that makes me a tit?
    Hilarious thread

That’s just it, i would too..

Horses for courses an all that..

yunki
    Free Member

preparing / assessing riders that are returning to off road biking

that sounds very scientific.. like returning from a space mission, or being released into a care in the community scheme..

Chunk
    Free Member

I think they stand around with score boards and watch them go of a kerb then hold them up ice skating styleeee, could be wrong though. Either that or they make sure they wont **** anyone elses 6 hours in the saddle in the middle of nowhere up. One of them statements might be true 😉

el_diablo
    Free Member

bet they all have High Rollers and dropper seat posts too. I heard they’re even fitting 50/60/70mm stems and 760mm bars!

tops5
    Free Member

6 hours?? I thought they just rode round Carr Mill dam for a couple of hours on a Tuesday night

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Have the Malverns just got gnarlier?’ is closed to new replies.