Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)
  • Have we REALLY been to the moon?
  • user-removed
    Free Member

“The best evidence I’ve seen against the moon landing is from a photographer who notices photos taken on the moon that are incompatible with the list of photographic equipment taken.”

That was the head technician at Hasselblad at the time of the moon landings – he couldn’t understand how the crosshairs present at the corners of each frame could have been obscured by the flag and rocky outcrops, in the negatives from the moon. In fact, even with no understanding of camera view-finders, it’s patently impossible.

But I’ve been here before and had the same argument, and there are those on the forum who apparently have a better understanding of the way light refracts than the man responsible for designing and building cameras to take into space.

EDIT: that’s not to say I don’t believe there have been men on the moon, but those negs were doctored IMO. Perhaps they were damaged and they felt the need to prove their attendance on the moon by faking the photos?

radoggair
    Free Member

how did we know there was no gravity or air outside our world?

i guess we are just 1 big ‘trumans show’ after all

toys19
    Free Member

STW dissapoints me. Although I could watch that Buzz aldrin Punch daily and never tire of it. The NASA BUZZ PUNCH project sounds like a rad idea.

Northwind

user-removed – Member

EDIT: that’s not to say I don’t believe there have been men on the moon, but those negs were doctored IMO. Perhaps they were damaged and they felt the need to prove their attendance on the moon by faking the photos?

FWIW NASA have never denied that some photos were doctored for cosmetic reasons before being released.

I don’t know much about film photography but I’ve seen demonstrations showing a similiar effect where a black mark on the plate gets drowned out by a white object in the shot… Basically an overexposure artifact. All the examples that the “deniers” use seem to fit that description- bright white objects on darker backgrounds. So that could be it maybe.

The other thing about the crosshairs is that nobody really seems sure what they would prove. If nothing else can account for them then yes, they’re proof that the photos may have been doctored. But so what? In that case, they’re either genuine doctored photos or fake doctored photos. It doesn’t tell you anything about whether the original undoctored photo was genuine.

If you look at a magazine cover tomorrow, chances are it’ll have been enhanced- sadly this doesn’t disprove the existance of Jordan, or whoever else it might be. It just means people like photos to look good.

darrell
    Free Member

Another +1 for the gf being an idiot

Or with this type of idiocy a Christian perhaps

GlitterGary
    Free Member

+1. Girlfriend is an idiot.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Not cool calling some guys gf an idiot !

molgrips
    Free Member

and there are those on the forum who apparently have a better understanding of the way light refracts than the man responsible for designing and building cameras to take into space

Well no, we are suggesting that perhaps there is something he hadn’t thought of or was not aware of.

I’d be asking myself why viewfinder crosshairs were present on the negative in the first place? Surely they’re not etched onto the lens?

Anyway, quibbling over the appearance of a few fine lines is one thing. Explaining away the laser reflector that we can bounce lasers off is much more difficult, isn’t it? I notice the conspiracy theorists don’t rush to discuss that one.

Dibbs
    Free Member

howcome no pictures of the astronauts meeting the Clangers

Any “non stupid” person would know that the clangers didn’t live on the moon.

jimification
    Free Member

Not seen that Buzz punch clip before. Usually I’d say that sort of thing is needless thuggery that proves nothing. In this case it was exactly what the situation required. Good job Buzz. Adding you to my list of heroes – You are next to Prof. Dawkins, whose Excellent “Blind Watchmaker” book I’m currently reading.

I don’t see why it’s so inconceivable that we went there (using the football “we” there) The critical factor was having enough political and public desire to spend the money and have a go at it and that was certainly in evidence. The real miracle is that those guys managed it with the technology of the time. I don’t know the stats but I would guess a 2011 phone has more number crunching power than the whole of mission control in the late 60’s.

yunki
    Free Member

If we have been, why have we never returned and set up camp (ie 007 Moonraker stylie?!)….

Make sure that you take her to the cinema to watch appollo 18..

As for the conspiracy theories.. is there a polite word for that resolute and starchy group of people who will fiercely only believe the official line and evidence..?

mushrooms perhaps..

zippykona

There’s no doubt something went to the moon , whether man went with it is the question. A transatlantic flight exposes you to enough radiation to take 5 minutes off your life.
    There’s some serious radiation on the moon and they managed to get crystal clear pictures with no fogging.
    Not to mention the amount of radiation the astronauts were subjected to. I would have expected a high cancer incidence of the returnees.
    If these thin suits are so good at radiation protection why weren’t they issued to the emergency services at Chernobyl?
    Admittedly this is stuff I have only read about I welcome a counter position.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Slighty OT for those interested in the moonlandings, there is a really good book ‘moondust’ by Andrew Smith, he interviews astronaughts connected with the Apollo program and it’s got quite a nice nostalgic feel of watching the landing live and growing up around that time. I highly reccomend it as a good read (nowt to do with fakes/hoax/conspiracy though it’s for people beyond that)

slowoldgit
    Free Member

@ zk (and other doubters) – the answers are on badastronomy.com for those who want to look.

This includes the grid marks.

Earl_Grey

LRO images of apollo landing sites.
    Of course some people won’t be happy until they go there and trip over a discarded LEM themselves

D0NK

If these thin suits are so good at radiation protection why weren’t they issued to the emergency services at Chernobyl?

I seem to recall a guy saying the first cleanup guys were given wellies, a thick coat and a shovel.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Just remember that over 400,000 US people worked on the Apollo/Gemini programme for over 10 years to get man to the moon.

There had been a lot of research and testing before anyone got near to walking on it, before Apollo 11 there was Apollo 8 and 10 that went to the moon but didn’t land, with many more tests in Earth’s orbit to make sure things worked, as well as the Mercury programme of actually getting people into space for the first time in the decade previously.

I know there are a lot of hobbyist photographers here on stw, but there were more important things than taking nice pictures of the moon for Nasa. 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m happy to beleive we’ve been abd played around on that lump of cream cheese.

I can remember as a kiddo watching the Apollo launches with my Dad. It was an amazing time in space history with huge imaginative thoughts and dreams, now..now its run by Accountants.

zippykona

I would have to tick the box saying we have been.
    The Russians would have been the first to make a stink about it.
    BUT there is something a bit fishy going on.
    Of course there is no chance that the US government are a bunch of lying scumbags.

DezB
    Free Member

That freak that Aldrin belts – he believes in god and satan, but not the moon landings. He is outraged that Buzz Aldrin may be making lots of money from something fake… that would be hilarious if it was so deluded (and American).

molgrips
    Free Member

I would guess a 2011 phone has more number crunching power than the whole of mission control in the late 60’s

Many orders of magnitude more. A ZX Spectrum had more power than the whole mission, IIRC.

All their computer had to do was calculate orbits, which isn’t that hard 🙂

EDIT: Busted!

camo16
    Free Member

I’m convinced. Serious looking photographs with intelligent white lines and good, clear annotation does it for me every time.

🙂

DezB
    Free Member

It’s even got a scale. Sorted.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m a bit sad the Endeavour has been laid to rest with nothing coming up in the near future. Although on one hand I think there is a lot to discover here on Earth, the Moon and Stars can give us so much information as to the workings of our own Planet that it would be a waste of all that time and money to just shelve the project. I know we’re still sending stuff up there to find and explore, but is this stuff significant.. if not it seems a pretty much waste of space.

yunki
    Free Member

A ZX Spectrum had more power than the whole mission, IIRC could have knocked up a more sophisticated piece of evidence than that daft photo..

FTFY

Dibbs
    Free Member

Not to mention the amount of radiation the astronauts were subjected to. I would have expected a high cancer incidence of the returnees.

I’d expect to see a greater incidence from the crews of the ISS who’re up there for months at a time, or are you saying that that’s a fake too?

Bimbler
    Free Member

The best evidence I’ve seen for was on the Horizon (?) show a few years back on this very subject and they talked to the uber geek in charge of tracking Apollo 11 at Jodrell Bank who followed the whole mission on his telescope. I just know he wasn’t lying. Also the laser thingy.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I used to date an intelligent girl who believed that the moon landings were faked.

As it happens, my father worked in the aircraft industry during the learly 1960s and had a very tempting offer from Grumman at one point…

She had no answer when I asked if she really thought that Grumman paid thousands of engineers and designers to sit there and do nothing.

GrahamS

A transatlantic flight exposes you to enough radiation to take 5 minutes off your life.

Ehhhh? How does that work exactly?? Is our lifespan limited to a certain amount of radiation and once we reach it we die? 😕

Shouldn’t someone tell the stewardesses?

camo16
    Free Member

Anyone else see a huge tap where the Lunar module is supposed to be on molgrips’ photo?

And they say there’s no water on the moon…

olympus
    Free Member

The best evidence for the moon landings is that they left a mirror on the moon in order to fire a laser at it and measure the time it takes for the light to return, hence measuring the distance and how fast the moon is moving away from the earth. If it didn’t happen how come the laser comes back? That is the true beauty of science, if you don’t believe something you can test it yourself, yes it may be costly, but still you can test it yourself and discover the truth.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’ve been told not to shine my lazerpen at the moon anymore to try and prove the moon exists. **** convenient excuse that the pilots dont like it if you ask me.

prove the moon exists and them maybe i’ll believe you.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Ha ha at Phil 🙂 very good

seosamh77
    Free Member

It was an amazing time in space history with huge imaginative thoughts and dreams, now..now its run by Accountants

Really? I think space exploration over the last 30 years has been a fantastic achievement, and far more exciting than the moon landings. the things we know about the universe are incredible compared to when we went to the moon.

seosamh77
    Free Member

yunki – Member
    A ZX Spectrum had more power than the whole mission, IIRC could have knocked up a more sophisticated piece of evidence than that daft photo..
    FTFY

I’d be surprised if a zx spectrum could even display that image.

yunki
    Free Member

sorry but this is just as compelling

thepurist

Which one’s Buzz? The Blue one or the Yellow one?

seosamh77
    Free Member

btw I agree the photo is daft, just pointing out technicalities! 😀

richmtb

Have we really been to the moon

YES!

Despite our many failings human beings really are capable of quite amazing things, putting men on the moon is just one of them.

It was a quite staggering achievement given the technology of the time.

How about some simple optimism on the forum for a change?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

They (we) stopped going back because of what they (we) found there.

There have been several well known feature length documentaries on this including ‘First Men In The Moon’ and ‘Apollo 18’, which I believe one can see in one’s local cinematography emporium currently

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Have we REALLY been to the moon?’ is closed to new replies.