• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ton.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Have kids lost the art of sledging!
  • the-muffin-man

They don't seem to have any clue how to create, hone and polish a run until its as smooth as glass and fast as ****!!!

…and then the little beggers keep walking back up your perfectly tuned run, dragging their sledges behind them. And they think you're some sort of freak when you try to advise them!

Tut – kids today!

(muffin-man – big kid aged 41!)

Drac

Not around here they haven't, lots of polly bag polished runs.

grahamt1980

Let them have a go on the shined up run then they will understand.
    Hopefully 🙄
    Best way I found to polish a run was an orange survival bag, damn fast too

midlifecrashes

Have been sledging and bagging about four hours today, they are learning fast. If this stays around I might disappear to the cellar and build up an old skool wooden sledge with new fangled uPVC rails.

dyna-ti

Nope
    After 2 weeks of snow,with it packing down instead of going slushy,my nephews are going mental on our old family sledge,so much so ive just bought them one each.
    Family sledge is one of those nice Norwegian ones ,wooden slatted body with steel rails,not designed for soft snow,you need this packed hard ice stuff to get the best out it
    Shit off a shovel 8)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We met a whole family out sledging in the middle of nowhere last night on our night ride. They had head torches and everything. It was great! 😀

atlaz
    Free Member

Almost killed myself when I was about 13 on Brantingham Dale hill near Hull. Day AFTER the big sledging day, glossy slope, waaaaaaay too fast, got air, landed badly. Luckily I landed on my head from about 10 feet up so nothing vital was damaged, just some blood lost and torn skin.

That was a GOOD sledging run

duntstick
    Free Member

Can't understand why people don't use car bonnets anymore either. You could get a lot of people on a Zephyr bonnet.

By gum, it were grim up North 😀

chilli
    Free Member

I work at an outdoor centre this week our 'country walk' has been dropped for a three hour sledging session :D,i was amazed by the number of kids who didn't have a clue,soon put em right though.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sledging lessons? Can I come please? :mrgreen:

brant
    Free Member

Can't understand why people don't use car bonnets anymore either. You could get a lot of people on a Zephyr bonnet.

Keeping that dream alive – with a Land Rover roof. Oh. 🙁

taka
    Free Member

the best sledge ever is an iforwilliams landrover roof just make sure there isnt any fences 😯 i took my kayak out yesterday twas ace until it goes backwards :mrgreen:

GrahamS

Almost killed myself when I was about 13

Broke my leg (tib & fib) when I was sledging on a golf course as a kid.

The run was downhill from a high tee, jumps off the bunkers, then through the woods (making suitable Star Wars Speeder noises), out the woods then finish by jumping the burn.

Last run of the day I jumped the burn at the wrong point and hit a big rock the other side, smashing my sledge and my leg.

Happy days 😀

Tracey

Our two were up for some last week in Scotland, they were also out all day yesterday sledging and building an igloo. The igloo was inspected at 8.00 this morning by two council officials, can we expect it to be demolished by lunch time

Tracey

votchy
    Free Member

Kids by us are using an old metro bonnet, 6 of them on it and it goes like the proverbial 😀

goldenwonder
    Free Member

My borther's been out on his spare mini bonnet, flipping quick thing, although really should know better at 32 😉

superlurch
    Free Member

Me and the boy (6) have just made a sledge out of some old Ikea shelving and bit's of old wood out of the shed. It's even got flattened steel tent poles for runners… come on!

Testing this afternoon!

🙂

ton

DO YOU THINK IT IS BECAUSE MOST PEOPLE AGED UNDER THE AGE OF 16 HAVE ONLY SEEN SNOW IN A PHOTO, OR IN THE MEASLY 2'' WE NORMALLY GET?????????????????????????

perhaps 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Have kids lost the art of sledging!’ is closed to new replies.