• This topic has 26 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by enfht.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Have just acquired a horse…. what now?
  • deviant
    Free Member

Mrs deviant ‘works’ as a riding instructor, this week she took ownership of a clients horse in lieu of a debt that couldn’t be paid.

She has ‘kindly’ gifted him to me… for those that know anything horsey he is Andalusian (Spanish, white, expensive in the south east, already I’ve made a profit!)
    I’ve ridden him, he starts, turns and stops… all that I want really, we have loads of good hacking in Wales and thought it would be rude not to have a shared hobby… I bought her a MTB but it ended up my project… I have suspicions the same will happen here which is a shame as (whisper it quietly) I quite like the young lad.
    I’m thinking if I can learn to jump on him then I’ll be bloody pleased, if I’m good enough to go out with the local hunt and can can clear 5-bar gates, hedgerows etc then that would be bloody brilliant although realistically I know that’s years away.
    Been comparing the horse supplements my other half puts in his evening feed with the bodybuilding supps I used to drink to bulk up… they are almost identical, same protein content, same amino acid profile, same vit and mineral content etc except the human stuff is half the price….HALF THE BLOODY PRICE….he will be getting the Holland and Barrett high St supps as opposed to equine based nonsense.
    I’ve made a small wager based on me ending up with the better horse… size not an issue, hers is monstrous and four years ahead anyway.
    I reckon I can build the faster one, the highest jumping one etc all measurable factors.
    She also mentioned dressage…. nope, not happening, he is not dancing to music while I dress like an 1800s lord… has there ever been anything so pointless?!

Not to blow my own trumpet but I also correctly estimated guessed my helmet size.
    So, will this end in divorce or will we still be together in a years time?!

properbikeco
    Free Member

a divorced friend said he reckon his ex’s horse basically ate and sh@t its way through 25k in less than 2 years – hope you have deep pockets!!!

RobHilton
    Free Member

It will cost you a forture

HTH

sharkbait
    Free Member

So, will this end in divorce bankruptcy or will we still be together in a years time?!

FTFY.
    Having a debt paid off with something that will cost you a lot more money is a mean thing to do.

NZCol

At least you can eat it, the horse can be sold.

burgatedicky

There must be an echo in here, but as an equine vet (who by definition only really sees broken ones) I concur that they are a flipping expensive hobby! What between the food, treats, tack, rugs, more food, washing rugs, entry fees, food, shoes, supplements and food…

That said, when it’s going well it is a fantastically rewarding pass-time, but for heavens sake get some insurance! (but please, please, PLEASE don’t use EandL or any of their derivatives, they’re an absolute nightmare to deal with!)

Also I’m sure you’ve got this in hand, but make sure that the debtor has written a receipt you’ve both signed for them “gifting” you the horse. I’ve seen receipts for 1p before now, but it makes the process a bit more binding.

Have a great time!

deviant
    Free Member

I should also add she works for the Welsh Cob and Pony society and is on reasonable money for the area.
    I work as a paramedic but with so many well paid private jobs about I could go part time and still earn what I do currently for a three day week.
    House also has stables, it was one of the criteria… if we sound like A-holes we’re really not, just got lucky with property.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Drink some milk?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Sell it? If not for a hobbyist then for chops.

senorj

I think you should dress up like a cowboy & set up a one man rodeo show.
    You could go on Britain’s got talent.

allthepies
    Free Member

Wait until the horse kicks you out of your house and you end up living in the stables.

andyl
    Free Member

Strangely they don’t have a horse shape on the packaging…

But while googling for that image I found this:

Twodogs

Why on earth would you give a horse food supplements?

deviant
    Free Member

Don’t get me started, for thousands of years they ate grass did they not!?

…then do-gooder women get involved (sorry to be sexist but it is usually women) and the next thing the horse is on this fot that and that for this, this for that etc….all snake oil if you ask me.

edhornby

Get the ownership sorted, flog it

Or

Keep it for a few years, spend loads of money on it then flog it and only just break even

Or

Keep it, watch it be ill because it sat down wrong, then realise how much equine vet bills are then struggle to flog it because it was lame once having lost a SH1T LOAD of money

Twodogs

flog it

Wait until it’s dead, shirley?

scaredypants

this week she took ownership of a clients horse in lieu of a debt that couldn’t be paid.

“I know I owe you money but I can’t pay – I’ve spent all my money on … (oh, wait) … how about I give you my horse ?
    😆

mattsccm
    Free Member

Big freezer?

kayak23

thegreatape
    Free Member

burgatedicky – Member
    There must be an echo in here, but as an equine vet (who by definition only really sees broken ones) I concur that they are a flipping expensive hobby! What between the food, treats, tack, rugs, more food, washing rugs, entry fees, food, shoes, supplements and food…

I can’t quite put my finger on it, but I’m sure there’s something missing off this list of horse related expenses… 🙂

the-muffin-man

Keep it for a few years, spend loads of money on it then flog it and only just break even

No, no, no – you keep for a few years to ‘bring it on’, then sell it for the same or less as you paid as you’re ‘just not getting on with it’. In the meantime you’ve spent a ruddy fortune on event fees, tack, feed, horsebox and countless other shite.

GET RID QUICK or you’ll get drawn in and become one of them!

jonba
    Free Member

So I think I’m a few years down the line from you. My wife was into horses as a teenager. Worked at a stables to pay for lessons etc. She pretty much gave it up while at uni for cost reasons but took a job on a cattle station in the Aussie Outback after uni and refound her love of riding.

She persuaded me to get on a horse about 6 years ago. I’ve done a fair bit since then. Hacking, jumping, dressage, trail riding. I wouldn’t discount the dressage – Andulcians are supposed to be exceptional at it (I’mm off their at Xmas to do some riding so we’ll see!). It teaches you good riding technique, you can just try and bully a horse to do what you want but you’ll often lose – dressage gives you the fine skills to control it better. A good example is jumping. Most horses like to take jumps at a flat gallop. Fun for small ones but as they get bigger you’ll need to collect and turn that forward energy into upwards energy. Also if you come in on a left bend and want to leave on aright bend then those flying changes will be handy too.

I’d get some lesson, not from your wife it’l never work out. Also learn some stable skills. Having never been a young kid at a stables the whole tacking up and grooming thing was a bit of a learning curve too.

It is expensive but can be a great sport. I’ve ridden all over in 2013 I rode across iceland. 20 riders, 120 loose horse.

In august I was in Jordan, my first “hard” riding holiday. Some very fast Arabs horses. We stravad the rides and my wife hit 35mph as I went past her on Jericho an 8 year old Gelding.

Back when my wife pursuaded me to get on a horse it was because I wanted to go to Mongolia. We’re off there for 3 weeks in August. It is going to be awesome

It is a great sport.

wallop

I taught my old horse to kiss me on the cheek. It was awesome. Then one day he (likely) got hit by lightning and then could no longer sleep standing up. It was funny until he fell over and broke his leg 😥

slowoldman

“MTBers admit to riding horses shocker”.

What next? Walking?

mrsfry
    Free Member

Now you have a horse, i expect you to dress in full Armour with a lance and sword and commute to work on it.

Horses are blooming fantastic

Rubber_Buccaneer

Owning a horse could be the fastest way to turn money into shit. Good for the roses I guess

enfht
    Free Member

Ride it everywhere, like Chris Eubank in his truck.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Have just acquired a horse…. what now?’ is closed to new replies.