• This topic has 43 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by squin.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Have I won a stolen bike on eBay? What to do.
  • squin
    Free Member

Hi,

Earlier in the week I won a bike on eBay.

I’d arranged to pick it up tonight (he wants cash on collection). The seller has only been a member of ebay for 6 weeks and no significant sales. Alarm bells start ringing.

His username appears to be his name so I put the name and address into ebay and some worrying info came up. A few years back he was jailed for x years for burglary and it appears that the same surname was also involved in more serious crimes (might be family, might be him as the first name of this second person appears to be the middle name of the first person…if they are actually different people).

I don’t want to judge a book by it’s cover as people can change, but my gut reaction is to back out post sale.

So, if I did back out having already won the auction, what would happen on ebay?

Thoughts re the general situation? Am I being narrow minded?

Thanks.

woody2000

What’s the bike and where is it being sold from!? Still looking for my stolen bikes, as I’m sure are plenty of others on here!

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Check with bike register or local police to see what it said bike is stolen.?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

If you pay and collect then Plod can turn up and have it off you.

Ebay won’t care; the police won’t care that you’ve lost your money.

You will lose your money.

Don’t bother. You haven’t won anything, get something else.

SaxonRider

Why didn’t you do your detective work before bidding?

At least you haven’t paid yet.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Nothing will happen to you on Ebay if you don’t complete the sale. You’ll just get a non-paying bidder strike.

martinhutch

What is the bike? If it’s an Apollo, you’re probably OK. If it’s a 2-year-old Santa Cruz…

benp1

Why not ask the seller? He might have proof of purchase or similar

If he doesnt, report him to the police

mountainman

Take the BOYZ with you n if suspect call the plod

Leku
    Free Member

Ask for the frame number and see the response.
    Ask for proof of purchase?

squin
    Free Member

SaxonRider – I bid very late on the item. It was only hen he told me the pick up address that I started to be slightly concerned. I’ll be really honest here, the location is a well known dodgy area. I know that there are good and bad everywhere and that you shouldn’t pre-judge and I would be happy to be wrong but alarm bells are seriously ringing for me now.

Can I cancel a purchase on ebay and what will happen, will I get poor history?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Ebay will put you on the naughty step. No big deal.

Crim will have your details so when plod comes knocking for the stolen bike, he’ll finger you as having bought it and ebay trail will prove it.

Plod will come to you demanding it back, even though you have never laid a finger on it. They will leave after threatening you with handling stolen goods.

Yep, been there too

BoardinBob

Can I cancel a purchase on ebay and what will happen, will I get poor history?

Would you rather lose hundreds/thousands of pounds or have one bit of negative feedback on ebay? If he is a crook he’s hardly likely to bother with feedback.

johndoh
    Free Member

^^^Listen to them

molgrips
    Free Member

Share the link, or a pic, it might belong to someone on here.

squin
    Free Member

Thanks all.

I’ve requested frame number and receipts etc.

I’m not concerned about negative eBay feedback, more that I was unsure as to what does happen having never backed out of a sale before. Wasn’t sure if eBay suspended the account etc.

Like some have said, it’s unlikely that he’ll kick up any sort of fuss if he’s acting dodgy.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If you really doubt that it’s kosher then back out and email eBay with your reason.

aracer
    Free Member

If you back out of lots of sales ebay might do something – if it’s just one then it’s irrelevant.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

squin – Member

I’m not concerned about negative eBay feedback,

Don’t worry about negative feedback. Sellers are unable to leave buyers bad feedback, it’s been like this for years now.

That’s probably why the place is the natural habitat of the tyre-kicker.

mattsccm
    Free Member

FFS why do people dither so. Its a bloody bike. Just walk away. Its not worth the anxiety.

squin
    Free Member

Mattsccm, thanks for the input. Sorry for sharing ‘chat’ in the chat forum, maybe this part of the forum isn’t for you if you’re not chatty 🙂

You’ll see that most of my questioning is relating to logistics and side effects of pulling out of the sale on ebay. I’m now comfortable that it’s no big deal on eBay.

tpbiker
    Free Member

can he provide any receipts or proof of purchase for it.

If not I’d be suspicious.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Pay in stolen money.

squin
    Free Member

Haha, like that, I’ll pay in play money or a wad made of of cut up newspaper.

ironnigel
    Free Member

Check if it’s the model with danfangled glitter forks. Back out if not.

squin
    Free Member

Woody2000 – it’s a Giant Defy Advanced 3 2015. Being sold from Warrington, but if it is hot it could have come from anywhere I suppose.

maccruiskeen

I’m not concerned about negative eBay feedback, more that I was unsure as to what does happen having never backed out of a sale before. Wasn’t sure if eBay suspended the account etc.

If it turned out the seller was legit (or wasn’t but is miffed about you backing out) they can apply for a ‘strike’ for non payment. Nobody can see these but when someone is listing an item for sale you can set the listing so that people with numerous strikes can’t bid. But with only one, or a few, strikes you’ll never notice, and even if you did have numerous strikes you wouldn’t notice until you tried to bid on an item that had been configured that way. Someone might apply a ‘strike’ not to be vindictive or as some sort of negative feedback – its part of the process of reporting a non-completed sale so that the seller doesn’t have to pay final value fees.

bigyinn
    Free Member

If you really want to, go. You should get a good idea if its legit by talking to the guy. Ask him some details about the kit, how he found the brakes. Where does he go riding etc.
    If he doesnt know much about the bike and biking you’ll soon know.

revs1972
    Free Member

8OThere’s been a lot of talk lately about people being robbed going into dodgy areas with cash to buy things from online selling sites. Go with your gut feeling. Did the bike go very cheaply ?
    I’ve been to Warrington twice in my life, and the second time was for court 😯

squin
    Free Member

revs. The bike did go for a reasonably low price…also part of my gut feeling being wrong!

Walked away from this one.

mountainman

Post up link n well see if he relists it then .

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

The newspaper article has the crime stoppers number.

If he cannot show proof of purchase and won’t give you a frame number to check, I’d be ringing that number…

squin
    Free Member

Smurfly. I hadn’t found the previously sold item but I had found all the other stuff. There’s actually some even more intense criminal activity reported on Google related to someone with a remarkably similar name.

Legoman
    Free Member

Go with your gut, if it feels dodgy it probably is.

Wish I taken my own advice a few weeks ago – via a series of slightly bizzare events I finished up being offered a bike out of the back of a van (along with 2 others) in a dodgy street in Luton, by a bloke who’s story about the sale made absolutely no sense – he said it was his sons bike & he had gone to uni so didn’t need it. When he turned up he was only about 25 himself!

Needless to say I got back in the car and got the hell out of Dodge.

hora
    Free Member

LONGSHOT – why not see if you can give these people a quick call? (From your link) Detective Constable Stuart Eales (or more likely whose took his place), of Warrington Burglary Unit

ossify

Regards ebay feedback, you’ll only get the mark against your name if you just leave it and don’t pay. If the seller cancels the sale from their end it’s no problem.

If they don’t get back to you with receipts etc just be polite and ask them to cancel, you never know. The non-paying mark is only a problem if you get a few of them anyway.

If you do get a mark and it bothers you it’s worth contacting ebay about it if the bike does turn out to be stolen, they may be understanding and remove the mark. Ebay like buyers, it’s sellers they don’t give a **** about (I’m not bitter)

Quite simple really, no original sales receipt, no sale.

martinhutch

Phone number on earlier ebay ad gives his Gumtree. Lot of phones for sale there.

https://www.gumtree.com/sellerads/1158006144?page=1

I think you’ve got enough evidence to point you in the right direction. Might be worth asking at the local police whether there are reports of this bike being stolen in the area.

andyl
    Free Member

contact the police. If they are happy it’s not stolen then go for it. I suspect they will think it is, like you, and in which case you might help someone get their bike back.

I helped a guy get his bike back a few months ago when someone posted up a suspect stolen bike for sale on gumtree.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Have I won a stolen bike on eBay? What to do.’ is closed to new replies.