• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by dxb.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Have I knackered my frame?
  • dxb
    Free Member

I’ve got a Yeti fro, with easton aluminium taperwall tubes, which i’ve had for a good few years, not long after getting it I did a fairly short ride (10ish miles) with a tyre that turns out was a smidge too close on the clearance, and has worn a bit of a groove into the driveside chainstay, i’m guessing they don’t have northern mud and grit in colorado… eversince then i’ve had a smaller tyre on the back and ridded it with no probs.

I’ve recently decided to go back to a smaller british designed steel frame and have just finished building up a 456, i’m tentatively considering the Yeti’s future, with the threat of redundancy looming, I may have to part with it 🙁 – i’m happy to ride the yeti – but is it safe for others?

If I took it to a LBS would they be more informed to check it out? and if so is it better to go to a chain like evans or should I stick to the little fella?

Any advice or opinions would be much appreciated 🙂

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

stick a pic up mate

dxb
    Free Member

i’m technologically inept – and that may take me a while…
    i’ll see what I can do

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Pic would be good but you sure it hasn’t just worn through the paint?

tails
    Free Member

I’ve done similar to a chammy and had know probs riding it. If you were to sell it though you should mention it as people complain about tiny little marks in an attempt to claw back money

spooky_b329

My mates rear tyre wore a hole through his chainstay big enough to stick a screwdriver in. He rode it for a couple more years before selling…and he used to honk up the hills in big gears. Ally Rockhopper.

dxb
    Free Member

dxb
    Free Member

oops wrong pic…

cracked the technology at least! 🙂

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Looks fine to me. Wouldnt stop me riding buying (price reflected to suit)

you might be better off dress/blend the dint with the tube(DONT thin it any further!)

geetee1972
    Free Member

Nah, the tubes there are pretty thick on the chainstays for just this reason. I had an FRO also and you should have seen the metal I took out of that where i’d had chainsuck.

Incidentally, that FRO made £290 on eBay when I sold it a few years ago. Bear in mind that it was over 10 years old and had several dings and dents here and there. There’s a real market for this kind of thing – retro cool hard tails, especially Yetis.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Definitely no problem selling that on, tis but a surface scuff. I’ve been riding a cheap alu frame with 2-3mm deep chainsuck damage for an aweful long time on some pretty rough stuff, and I’m a big guy. That literally is just cosmetic, I’d dress it up nicely and tell the owner to be about it but I’d have no qualms letting a friend/kid ride it!

IWH
    Free Member

Nah, I’d say it was buggered. I’ll give you £100 for it 😉

Just kidding, I reckon you’ll be fine.

dxb
    Free Member

Thank you to everyone who’s replied putting my mind at ease…
    Much appreciated 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Have I knackered my frame?’ is closed to new replies.