Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Have I killed my brake?
  • mattbee

Nice morning, some time off work so I thought I’d do some bike fettling.
    New drivetrain fitted to the hard tail with no dramas.
    Decide to bleed the rear brake on my full sus as the lever has been very spongey of late. Epic bleed kit, fitted as per instructions. Start to push fluid through from caliper, syringe a bit stiff but I gave it a good squeeze. Nothing coming through at lever end, which seemed odd as I’d ‘injected’ about 25ml of fluid. Notice fluid dripping on floor from front of bike. Have a look and I’ve only had a blonde moment and connected the lever end of the bleed kit to the wrong flipping lever!
    Fluid has been forced out of the lever/hose junction on the correct lever, which is what was dripping. I curse, reconnect bleed kit to correct lever and bleed that brake. Come to pull the lever and it’s just floppy, will pull to bars and not return. A aargh! Thinking I must have blown a seal at master cylinder or something, so is it fixable or do I need a new lever/brake?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Have a look and I’ve only had a blonde moment and connected the lever end of the bleed kit to the wrong flipping lever!

😆

nixie

What brakes? If its coming out of the lever to hose junction then try tightening this, if that doesn’t work then replace the olive.

mattbee

SLX. Union is tight, lever pulls to bar with a sort of clunky resistance and then flops about unless I pull out the servo wave bit inside.

nixie
    mattbee

Yeah. Just bought a whole brake assembly as by the time you factor in the cost of a new set of pads, olive and insert it was only an extra £15.
    Will pay more attention next time!

rickon
    Free Member

I’d ‘injected’ about 25ml of fluid

Well, if they’re SLX – they’re an open system – so the fluid would have come out of the reservoir, so it should be totally fine.

Re-bleed properly and see how they’re looking. You may need to re-fit the rubber seal in the lever, so it’s tight.

But, you’re probably totally fine.

EDIT: Re-read your lst sentence. Looks like you need a new olive possibly. Surprised that you managed to blow a seal by bleeding up.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Have I killed my brake?’ is closed to new replies.