Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Have I bought the right wheels? retrospective buyers remorse content….
  • big_scot_nanny

So, after dicking about for months, finally bought a new pair of wheels. Have I done the right thing?

wanted new all mountain wheels for my mega. Have superstar DH wheels at the mo, which are OK but V heavy and keep going out of true.

Was going to get Mavic SXs, but too expensive.

Almost bought light-bicycles carbon wider wheels, but bottled it!

So, saw some Stans Flow wheels on wiggle for a decent price, and plumped for them. Have I done bad? Will they be OK?

Only question is around hubs, as they are not the standard proIIs, but stans 3.30 hubs. You can get all adapters for them and stuff, but are a bit of an unknown quantity.

Have bought a lemon? Anything I should know about the hubs?

Kev

nosedive
    Free Member

the rims are great for light gravity applications. I am 88kg and clumsy and mine are still in good nick after a year or so.

no idea about the hubs

grievoustim
    Free Member

I have a set of crests with the same hubs . No issues in about 18 months of use – front was easily converted from qr to bolt through. Still on original bearings

bwaarp
    Free Member

I’ve been launching off jumps and 5/6 foot drops on my Mega with Crests for over a year, I’ve yet to kill myself – only bother to rock out the Flows on DH tracks.

You’ll be fine, it’s the build of the wheel that really counts.

big_scot_nanny

Thanks all.

They seem light, and the rims are clearly pretty good, but I was unsure of the hubs. Seems like they will be OK.

Hope the build is good! Tim, did you buy the wheels built up and was it a quality build? i.e. no need to constantly retension etc.

Kev

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think the hub bearings have a reputation but that should be solveable with good aftermarket bearings if they fail.

Northwind

Not likely to regret that tbh. Maybe you could have bought lighter but they’re still not heavy. There’s lots of good options these days.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Have I bought the right wheels? retrospective buyers remorse content….’ is closed to new replies.