Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Have I bitten off more then I can chew – Olympic triathlon in 16 weeks.
  • thinboy70
    Free Member

In a push to get fitter I have signed myself up for an Olympic triathlon (in Bristol). I am not to worried about the Bike or run but not amazing at swimming.

Do you think this is possible?

Any advice would be great.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

MTFU?

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Just put extra swimming sessions into your training (I hope your training). If your concerned about technique then why not pay for a few lessons to get you on the right track (lane)

AndyP
    Free Member

Do you think this is possible?

Extremely. It’s only a short swim and if you’re just trying to get round, you could probably do it tomorrow.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

More than you can chew ?? No

Possible?? Defo

You sound confident for the bike/run and they take up, very generally, about 4/5ths of the total time it will take you to get round.

I predict 6 weeks into training your not be thinking is it possible to complete but what time you will be aimming for.

Have a look at http://www.tritalk.co.uk …. forum … loads of info on there.

Good luck and beware… Tri is rather addictive.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Extremely. It’s only a short swim and if you’re just trying to get round, you could probably do it tomorrow.

This ^

Efficient swimming is all about technique, if it were me I’d spent the vast majority of the 16 weeks swim time working purely on getting an efficient stroke, even if at first it seems slower. as written above, lessons would be a worthwhile investment

fourbanger
    Free Member

I entered a tri about 6 months ago as a solid cyclist, average runner, but having not really swum since school. Being in the middle of the desert I didn’t have pool access. After about 200m I decided I was going to drown, so ended up swimming the rest back stroke. Came about 2/3 of the way down the field in the swim and clawed some back on the bike. Anyway, point being, it’s **** choppy swimming during a mass start and it makes it a bit difficult to breath. If you decide you’re going to drown, swim backstroke for a bit. But 16 weeks is a long time to train really.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Have I bitten off more then I can chew – Olympic triathlon in 16 weeks.’ is closed to new replies.