• This topic has 18 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by skids.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Have I been scammed?
  • vincienup
    Free Member

Bought a set of XT spds off the member who posted this thread over three weeks ago. Paypal was apparently a problem and I was asked to pay directly to members’ bank account, which I duly did.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/garage-clearout-26

Comms were excellent right up until just after I told the member I’d made the payment.

All things considered, I think it’s probably an honest mistake as handing bank details out and the whole thing being over £25’s worth of pedals seems a bit odd. I’m just a bit concerned as it’s been a few weeks now, and the email I’ve sent since (mid last week) hasn’t had a reply.

I was wondering if anyone else ahd bought anything from that ad or if anyone knew the poster?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Paypal was apparently a problem and I was asked to pay directly to members’ bank account, which I duly did.

Nothing suspicious at all..
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/profile/mathsteacher71

Stoner
    Free Member

no posts in the forum, only posting in the classifieds.
    bank transfer, worse than Paypal Gift.
    Probably not even a scam, but just for the first two things, I wouldnt deal with them. That’s an asymmetric relationship – they have nothing to lose by being unreliable/a bit shit. Only deal with those with a reputation at risk, and using a transaction method with recovery options.

peteimpreza

” Paypal was apparently a problem “

There is a clue right there………………

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

Have you tried his home number…
    In his iphone for sale he states “if anyone needs clarification please phone 01302840961 , i am the Director of Maths at Ash Hill Academy in Hatfield Doncaster. “
    There is also a Director of Maths – M Wilkinson Linky

fadda

For balance, I don’t have a PayPal account, and have taken payment into my bank account.

I’d send stuff the very next day, and provide a tracking number, though…

tomd
    Free Member

Yes, almost certainly.

I’m not sure why any buyer would go down PPG or bank transfer route unless you know the seller. Even if the seller is legit as a buyer you’re taking a risk for someone else’s benefit.

rjj
    Free Member

Looking at school website it seems that OFSTED are in so he may have other things on his mind atm!!

Xylene
    Free Member

Looking at school website it seems that OFSTED are in so he may have other things on his mind atm!!

It certainly could be ass to mouth if OFSTED are in.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The other warning to me would be a member who’s only been on here since March.
    So, we have:-
    No paypal
    Classifieds only member
    Only a member 2 months.

Pretty much the holy trinity of avoidedness for me.

vincienup
    Free Member

Hm.

Well, the bank account details certainly were in Doncaster and the name matches up, so I’ll continue believing it’s just a case of “life got in the way” for now.

Interesting opinion on bank details though. TBH, I prefer doing paypal for everything. I hate paying via bank but I’ve come across a school of thought that it’s preferred as less scammy on STW before. End of the day £25 isn’t the end of the world if it’s gone, but I’ll certainly be more careful now.

Thanks STW detectives! That’s a lot more than I’d dug up. If he is dealing with an OFSTED inspection right now he probably is a tad on the busy side.

theotherjonv

For balance, I don’t have a PayPal account, and have taken payment into my bank account.

I’d send stuff the very next day, and provide a tracking number, though…

Sadly, unless i knew you personally that would still be a deal breaker. The moment someone says they can’t do paypal because they have a temporary hold or something, my ‘Don’t touch’ buzzer goes off loudly.

Paypal costs you nothing to have an account, and provides protection. And yes there are fees to pay, but either allow for that in your asking price or as a buyer I’d add a bit more on to the agreed price to cover the fees. eg; just bought something through here for £200-odd, I paypalled the seller £207 so he gets £200 after fees at the end of it, and I get peace of mind for £7.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Same here, I haven’t had a paypal account that long and have done the same plenty of times too.

” Paypal was apparently a problem “

There is a clue right there………………

That the person doesn’t have a paypal account maybe 😆

In this case looking at their profile would have put me off but i hate the common assumption these days that anyone without a paypal account is automatically dodgy 🙄

I do find it quite amusing though when somebody who refuses to pay for something you’re selling by anything other than paypal then gets the hump with you when you tell them you’ve sold it to somebody else 😆

theotherjonv

It’s not an assumption that they’re dodgy, it’s a worry that if they are dodgy then I’ll be the one that’s screwed as a result.

I do find it quite amusing though when somebody who refuses to pay for something you’re selling by anything other than paypal then gets the hump with you when you tell them you’ve sold it to somebody else

I don’t get that either. If they want to buy something on 0% credit and the shop doesn’t offer it, do they have a hissy fit there as well?

cloudnine
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/iphone-6-plus-silver-mint-with-apple-case

Im guessing theres a teacher there but it aint the seller. Reception confirms and someone hands over money for a phone too..

windydave13
    Free Member

I know this doesn’t help OP but personally in this day and age, if their email address returns zero google results I run for the hills!!

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

As said above I don’t have paypal account either and do say so to people.Have done cheques in the past no problem.Now only do bank transfers have lost sales at times but in the end do sell the stuff.Mind I have only been on here since 2004 😉

skids
    Free Member

You get a name or phone number?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Have I been scammed?’ is closed to new replies.