Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 181 total)
  • Have folks realised fat bikes are shit yet ?
  • antoine
    Free Member

I really don’t get why people moan about different bikes, tyre sizes, axle sizes, rim width,…. 2 things:

1 – As a mtber you now have more CHOICE than at any point in the history of the sport to ride the bike that is right for you and the type of riding you do and the conditions you ride in. Choice is a good thing. Making product better is a good thing. making your rims stronger and stiffer is a good thing, giving you more grip is a good thing, having brakes that work is a good thing, having an xc bike with big wheels is a good thing, having a dh rig with agile small wheels is a good thing. Sh1t even being able to have a bike with pedal assist is good thing.

2 – YOU DON’T ACTUALLY HAVE TO BUY IT!

Don’t confuse a fad with progress. And if you are that annoyed by it go ride alone on your early 90s steel rigid clunker with rim brakes and have a great time doing it if that’s your bag. Just stop moaning…. Please.

pypdjl
    Free Member

I don’t see many on my local trails the Peak District, West Yorkshire, can’t imagine they are great on serious climbs
    In fact I’ve never seen one..

I’d love one but having to climb on a average 500-800 metres a ride I can’t warrant one

You probably haven’t seen one because there aren’t that many out there, nothing to do with your local terrain. I did a big loop on mine in the peaks the weekend before last, 2000 metres climbing, the bike is not the limiting factor.

whitestone
    Free Member

Would I have a go on on? Yes.
    Would I use one for a week to get used to it? Yes.
    Would I buy one? Maybe but unlikely.
    Would I use one as my only (off-road) bike? No.

I’ve got a pair of B+ wheels/tyres for my 29er and they’re probably about as far as I’d like to go in the fat direction. But that’s for the riding that I do I can see me using them maybe 40% of the time.

As for no good on serious climbs: postierich got a damn site further up the Kentmere side of Garburn Pass on his fat bike the other month than I did on my 29er.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The climbing aspect on a fat bike had put me off also.[/quote]

I generally climb faster on my fatbike than my (now gone) Scott Spark. It is a bit slower on longer/rougher descents.

zippykona

On the strength of this thread I dug my Spearfish out from the back of the shed.
    The steering feels twitchy, the narrow bottom bracket has brought back my chaffing downstairs, it’s not any comfier, i dont like the bouncing when climbing and most of all I miss that instant power that a big fat tyre and rigid frame give you.
    Shall Strava some off road climbs on the way home and see if fatty is any slower.

D0NK

now plus one has got all the fatties’ attention, can I ask…. How do you find them going down steep technical stuff? Comparatively. Are you still riding the same steep stuff as you ride/used to ride, on your main bike?
    No matter what your main bike is/was (unless your main bike is a DH or Trials bike – I guess that would skew things)

Just wondering whether your average fat bike is less comfortable on the steeps than your average middle of the road FS/HT. Like I said comparatively, I’ve no doubt postierich would kick my arse up hill and down gnar on his fatbike.

zippykona

My first post ever on here was in response to the knocking that these new fangled 29ers were getting.
    I’m sure if STW was around in the 90s we would be arguing about suspension.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Are you still riding the same steep stuff as you ride/used to ride, on your main bike?

Yes. Compared to a xc fs bike the fat one is tiring. Lack of rear suspension takes it out of my legs. On long rough descents I either have to ease up a bit all the way down, or ease up a lot towards the end.

I’d like to give a fs fat bike a go. The new trek looks promising.

dragon
    Free Member

IMO a fad, you won’t see many in a few years time outside of the odd die hards.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m seriously considering getting one as a mess about in the woods & ride with my little lad kinda bike as a high spec carbon 29 XC FS is a bit overkill for that kinda thing.

I’m not expecting it to be a revelation in all things biking, but more a bit of fun for bumbling round the woods, as a plus point he things the bigger the tyres the more a bike is for riding in the forest so win win.

nedrapier

you won’t see many in a few years time outside of the odd die hards

which, according to some on here, is all that’s riding them now! 🙂

igm

DONK – steeps and technical descents easier on Fatty (with nicerer carbon rimmed tubeless wheels), fast but rough better on Orange Alpine.
    I won’t be taking a fat bike to Les Gets any time soon – but I bet someone else is.

fin25
    Free Member

I just bought a 34lb, steel framed, 5″ tyred fatbike. I took it to Cannock last week. For the first half, I was puffing up the hills, sweating like a pig, chickening out of all the drop-offs and generally embarrassing myself. I even managed to make the front tyre wash out on a nice dry switchback.
    Then, about half way round, something just clicked and I started to get it. By the end I was flying (quite literally at one point). Fat bikes are different, and need to be ridden differently, but can be ridden just about bloody anywhere.
    I’m still not quite fit enough yet though, but the fatty will get me fitter faster.

roverpig

The climbing aspect on a fat bike had put me off also.

The climbing has been the biggest surprise for me. Mine is a 34 lb lump of steel with 5″ tyres. I didn’t buy it to be fast and I expected to struggle more on the climbs, but it just doesn’t seem to be happening.

Last night, for example, without really trying, I set my second best time (of 21 attempts) on the climb, only a second off my best. That was good enough for 14th out of 88 on the leaderboard. I’m 51 and I aint going to be challenging the fit kids any more whatever I ride, but the bike doesn’t seem to be holding me back on the climbs so far.

In general, it seems to be slower if it’s really smooth (like a road), but the gap narrows the rougher it gets and when you get to the point where you have to get off and push on a regular mountain bike a fatbike can sometimes keep on trucking. I’ve cleared a couple of ramps (both stupidly steep and covered in loose rocks) that I’ve attempted dozens of times on a variety of regular mountain bikes, without ever getting close to making it up.

How do you find them going down steep technical stuff?

It depends how steep and how technical for me. I’ve ridden down a few (steep, rocky) sections on my fatbike that I’ve always been too scared to ride on a regular mountain bike. Huge tyres and a front end that doesn’t pitch you forwards when you hit a bump can give a huge amount of confidence when it’s really steep and technical.

Where it’s rubbish though is on fast rocky stuff. Exactly the sort of terrain where my full-suss 29er excels. For that sort of warp-speed, let go of the brakes and switch off your brain stuff you just can’t beat a few inches of nicely damped suspension. For some people, of course, that’s the best bit (maybe even the whole reason they ride). So, I totally understand why a fatbike wont be for everyone.

Personally I wont be getting rid of my full-suss anytime soon and I’m not sure I’d ever choose to take a fatbike to a trail centre. But for riding up and down mountains it’s got a few things going for it 🙂

fin25
    Free Member

You bought one then, Roverpig?

roverpig

You bought one then, Roverpig?

Yeah, I couldn’t get the demo ride out of my head so decided the only option was to build one up and see how I got on with it 🙂 The jury is still out to be honest, but it’s fun to try new thing.

Northwind

Denis99 – Member

Its a Felt Lebowsk -e.

Felt just won the Bike Name Game, that’s absolute genius. Makes me want to get one, and a Canyon Dude.

D0NK – Member

now plus one has got all the fatties’ attention, can I ask…. How do you find them going down steep technical stuff? Comparatively. Are you still riding the same steep stuff as you ride/used to ride, on your main bike?
    No matter what your main bike is/was (unless your main bike is a DH or Trials bike – I guess that would skew things)

It’s a very different experience but I love it tbh, it’s not like, say, tiptoing down on an xc bike (which can be fun too). I wouldn’t ride it down glencoe downhill… my aim is to ride all of the tweedlove enduro world series stages on the Dune but a couple of those might be too much. But my second or third ride ever was at innerleithen dh chasing (badly ridden) downhill bikes down the matador.

I haven’t had it on a beach yet. I’m worried the Council of Fatbiek might send Coastkid round to confiscate it.

Lester
    Free Member

Hope mike doesnt mind me posting this impressive video clip
    downhillo n the snow in chamonix

does this look shite? no !!!

dragon
    Free Member

You’ll have to do better than that vid to win over the non-fatbike fans. How f**King slow is that riding? Sorry but I’ve no interest in riding really slowly downhill in freezing conditions.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just wondering whether your average fat bike is less comfortable on the steeps than your average middle of the road FS/HT. Like I said comparatively, I’ve no doubt postierich would kick my arse up hill and down gnar on his fatbike.

It’s still a rigid bike at the end of the day. There’s a bit of squish, and pinch flatting takes more effort, but it’s still a case of picking lines that suit the bike, usually smoother ones, but looking for grip is less important.

dragon – Member
    You’ll have to do better than that vid to win over the non-fatbike fans. How f**King slow is that riding? Sorry but I’ve no interest in riding really slowly downhill in freezing conditions.

Go on then, show us your rad sick gnarrcore edit.

Another fat video.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EygF8Cu4hj4[/video]

molgrips
    Free Member

For that sort of warp-speed, let go of the brakes and switch off your brain stuff you just can’t beat a few inches of nicely damped suspension. For some people, of course, that’s the best bit (maybe even the whole reason they ride). So, I totally understand why a fatbike wont be for everyone

They make full sus fatbikes now. You can have both 🙂

mrlugz
    Free Member

I’ve been a bit fat curious since I had a brief spin on an on-one fattie back in 2012. I recently had the chance of a long term demo on a Scott Big ed.
    My thoughts were –
    Its slower almost everywhere.
    It will climb almost anything if you can hang on.
    I never want to get another puncture in one.
    A lot more capable on steep stuff than I initially thought it would be.
    I would have one if I could get one cheap enough.
    I was properly beaten up by it 🙂

Photo courtesy of JWDTphotography

roverpig

Then a fatbike probably isn’t for you. Luckily there are other options for those that crave speed 🙂

Personally (and others may disagree) I find the fatbike great on sections of the trail (up or down) where I’m going slowly, which accounts for a surprisingly large percentage of my rides 😳 If you want to hit stuff at warp speed though a regular mountain bike wins every time.

Personally, this is my favourite fatbike video and a big part of the reason why I went with the ICT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmlvYLRza7g

By the standards of regular mountain bike videos it’s totally naff. He’s not going fast, it’s all totally controlled. But that’s the point, for me. It looks as though he’s having fun in the woods without ever really risking a trip to A&E. But, as I say, I totally get that it’s not for everyone. It’s just an option for those that fancy giving it a try.

shermer75
    Free Member

I saw a bloke commuting on one in London for the first time yesterday, he seemed happy enough

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yeah, they look rubbish, especially in that photo :mrgreen:

Lester
    Free Member

@ dragon

do you prefer to sit indoors and watch coronation street instead when its snowy outside and cant ride.

most riders cant do that on a dry terrain on any bike let alone faster. it might not be for you but for people who can do it a fat bike is perfect, in the right hands of course.

Daffy

shermer75 – Member
    I saw a bloke commuting on one in London for the first time yesterday, he seemed happy enough

Masochist Definition

a person who is gratified by pain, degradation, etc., that is self-imposed or imposed by others.

…of course he looked happy.

epicyclo

This business about fatbikes being slower seems obvious.

However the first year I took my fatbike to the ‘Puffer I managed to get in one more lap than I’d ever managed previously. Usual bike a good 29er weighing about 22lbs, the fatbike weighing about 42lbs, same singlespeed gearing.

On rough terrain on long distances, it seems you can average a higher speed on a fattie. Instantaneous speed and acceleration another matter.

But part of this perception problem is there’s a lot of crap tyres out there now, usually fitted to nonQBP bikes and they are dire to ride with. Put a decent high tpi tyre (eg 120) on a fatbike and then it works properly.

rOcKeTdOg

In fact I’ve never seen one

there are regularly 4 on our rides, fatty, fatty trail, dune and a beargrease, canyon dude has been know to tag along too

roverpig

But part of this perception problem is there’s a lot of crap tyres out there now, usually fitted to nonQBP bikes and they are dire to ride with. Put a decent high tpi tyre (eg 120) on a fatbike and then it works properly.

Yes, it should go without saying that tyres (and wheels) make a huge difference. That’s true for all bikes of course, but especially so with truck wheels.

For example, the Ice Cream Truck that I took out for a demo ride had Bud/Lou tyres with tubes on 100mm clownshoe rims. It had all the grip and float you could possibly want, but it was a matter of spin along and you’ll get there in the end. For my build I went with Jumbo Jim tyres, tubeless on 80mm DT rims. It’s hardly surprising that this combination is a fair bit faster. It wont have the same grip or float in snow/sand/bog of course, but that’s just the trade-off you have to make.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Interesting through, that the newest, lightest and 120tpi tyre (the Kenda) is actually the worst.

I’d be interested to see how something like a Nate does on that test, the Larry is an odd tread pattern and not really comparable to the others they tested (likewise the Vee8 is an anomaly).

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

Northwind

shermer75 – Member

I rode mine to work once because my commuter had a flat. It was pretty orrible tbh 😆 But good fun on the pump track after work.

stevedoc
    Free Member

My Garmin must be on the fritz then ,seems like im quicker on my fatty on a fair few climbs and Peak routes than my Five , and it handled the Borrowdale bash with ease while my Five was under warrenty repair , against other full bounce bikes too.

Sorry but fats are fun

epicyclo

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    Interesting through, that the newest, lightest and 120tpi tyre (the Kenda) is actually the worst…

Yes, I should have made it clear that it’s a rule of thumb, not an absolute.

To put it more clearly, you need a compliant sidewall to get the most benefit from a fat tyre. After that, tread affects the feel most.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

interesting reading, i thought a fatty bike would be horrible for uphills on local terrain, once i get a bigger garage and the prices have come down i’m tempted..

and they always put a smile on my face in the shop, once aw one at llandegla, the bloke seemed happy and his mate was insisting he’d done enough and they swap

molgrips
    Free Member

In South Wales there are many steep climbs with loose sandstone rocks that are pretty challenging on a normal bike; I bet you’d cruise up them with a fattie.

I rode mine to work once

Do they do 4″ slicks? I bet that’d be a right laugh on roundabouts.

tubeless on 80mm DT rims. It’s hardly surprising that this combination is a fair bit faster.

Why? Interested.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Do they do 4″ slicks? I bet that’d be a right laugh on roundabouts.

On one BSC type 1, and surly black floyd.

tubeless on 80mm DT rims. It’s hardly surprising that this combination is a fair bit faster.
    Why? Interested.

1) Jumbo Jims are the fastest (probably) treaded fat bike tyres, Bud and Lou are basically 4.8″ mud tyres (but probably not the worst rolling),

2) Tubeless makes a big difference on a fat bike.

3) light if not the lightest aluminium 80mm rims Vs 100mm (not particularly light although there aren’t any other 100mm rims I can think of). Smaller rims = faster rolling in fat bikes.

rocketman
    Free Member

Without getting all defensive…

Its slower almost everywhere.

Strava says it’s faster almost everywhere. No-one wants to ride with you because you keep clearing off

It will climb almost anything if you can hang on.

It will climb anything anyway

I never want to get another puncture in one.

Not a problem. Apply patch, 100-120 strokes with a mini pump, carry on riding

A lot more capable on steep stuff than I initially thought it would be.

A lot more capable everywhere. Except that pesky skatey mud

Northwind

Mine is definitely slower for almost all of the riding I do. I can put a number on it for XC, it’s almost exactly 25% slower- based on glentress seven results on an xc bike and the fatbike. For harder trails that number gets bigger. But I didn’t get it to go faster.

rOcKeTdOg

shermer75 – Member

I rode mine to work once because my commuter had a flat. It was pretty orrible tbh But good fun on the pump track after work.

stopped riding mine to work (unless it snows) as kept getting more verbal abuse than usual from the school kids.

having said that my commute is about to get shorter and more off road-able so i might use it more!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 181 total)

The topic ‘Have folks realised fat bikes are shit yet ?’ is closed to new replies.