Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 972 total)
  • Have any of us actually caught the Coronavirus yet then?
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

Son tested positive via an LFT last night, we checked again this morning just in case, positive again. Wife and I (both jabbed) tested negative.

I, out of the blue had a bit of an odd headcold over the weekend, came out of nowhere (as in I didn’t feel it ‘coming on’) and left as abruptly. Used an LFT just to be sure, negative. I get the feeling that was it having a pop at me and my vaccine giving it ‘what for’, I’ve absolutely no proof of this of course, but I like to think so.

3 of us down for PCR tests this morning due to work requirements, so we’ll know for sure tomorrow I guess. If you can catch it with just a second of in-door contact, then the vaccines have really do the biz for us.

Son (15) is a bit clammy and a bit lethargic, but frankly he’s often a bit clammy and lethargic anyway.

Murray

I hope you stay negative P-Jay. My eldest daughter (15) didn’t manage to catch COVID from her cousin despite sharing a tent with the cousin, my wife escaped it despite driving them from Okehampton to Bristol, my youngest (13) got it though from being around the cousin.

It’s still a bit random whether you catch it or not.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Thanks Murray, I hope so too.

They say some of us are lucky enough to be naturally immune, or caught it long before testing was a thing and now have some level of immunity, but like you say, luck / randomicity seems to be a big part of it.

It’s been very thought provoking, this virus that killed his Grandfather and millions of others all around the world, isn’t at the moment at least doesn’t seem to be any more than a very mild cold. Back in normal times, there’s no way we’d keep him home from school based on his symptoms.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Posted this on the other CV thread but come back from 2 weeks in France and tested positive. Felt ropey last day over there but the legal tests we had to do to return int UK where negative. Got home started feeling ok and still negative then the next day that evening it hit me – rotten cold like symptoms but at night it got worse very similar to AZ side effects but with a cough. Had to do a day two PCR which came back positive. Four days in now every day improving but slowly – feels like worse cold ever with a mixture of flu and bad cough.

garage-dweller

Really interesting reading the symptoms of those testing / recovering at the minute.

For me…other than right at the start for a couple of days where the cough was a bit more intense I have had little more than cold symptoms so far and the cough is seemingly well past its peak. Appetite is off a bit and sense of smell and taste is a bit absent this evening but I am well bunged up so could just be that as it’s not totally absent or wonky. Can still taste my tea but it’s definitely not as flavoursome as normal. Shame as Mrs gd makes a lovely brew.

Sleep is ok, brain a bit slow/concentration is off a bit as a result but I normally get that if stuffed up anyway and the odd moment of slight nauseousness but that’s very mild and lasts just a few minutes, maybe once or twice a day.

bigblackshed

Just posted on the Long Covid thread.

1st vaccine on 20th March, tested positive on a PCR test on 22nd May. Ill for a couple of days, short fever, sore throat, slight tickly cough. 2nd vaccine on 23rd June. Felt really unwell on 15th Aug. Same as symptoms as first Covid infection. Took a LFT, negative. Week later properly sore throat. Another LFT, negative. Positive PCR test on 23rd. Sore throat lasted 24 hours.

Since my first Covid infection I’ve had underlying health issues. Fatigue, muscle and joint pain, weight loss, migraines (which I’ve not had for years), eye infections, cold sores. Generally under the weather. My bike fitness has dropped through the floor. 2 miles is a long ride.

My Doctor can’t decide if it’s long Covid or something else. I’ve had some blood tests which came back clear. I just hope that it’s something that will bugger off soon, I’m tired 🙄 of feeling like this.

I’ve been allowed out again today, just in time for The Wife and Boy2 to go back to School (work) and college. But I’ve been super cautious since my first infection. Still wearing masks in shops and work. I’ve been to one pub indoors, well marquee, and that’s where I think I picked up my second infection.

Be safe and stay safe people. This ain’t over by a long shot. Another winter of restrictions and lockdowns is what I’m seeing in my crystal ball. Although how the Fly Tipped Sofa will handle this is anyone’s guess.

Harry_the_Spider

The coughing, snot and headaches seem to be going. Toothache too, which was the worst bit for me. Had a couple of wobbles when standing up though. Taste and smell have deserted me.

Was sweating my arse off, but went out to the bin and discovered that there is a mini heatwave going on, so hopefully that was the reason.

The rest of the family had PCRs today. They’re not showing symptoms so hopefully they have given it the swerve.

garage-dweller

Was sweating my arse off, but went out to the bin and discovered that there is a mini heatwave going on, so hopefully that was the reason.

Sat in a west facing room, just switched on a fan and put some shorts on. Now I no longer have the same sensation!

The smell/taste thing is odd isn’t it? The only thing I can think of as comparable in terms of how it messes with you is when I had a hearing test a few years back in one of those sound insulated booths.

The difference between quiet and silent was really quite marked. I’m finding its like that with the smell.

You think “I can’t smell anything” when you have a normal cold and then there’s this when you actually really can’t smell ANYTHING.

I can just about get sweet or salty on my tongue after 24 hours of nothing, nose is still not doing its job at all.

grum
    Free Member

My mum’s husband just tested positive (LFT) yesterday. We were round on sat – I now can’t smell/taste anything, I’ve got a temperature, coughing, sneezing, snotty and feeling grotty as hell. Just been PCR tested this morning so we’ll see but I strongly suspect I’ve got it.

I thought it was just a bad cold but according to my mum in double-vaxxed people it’s mostly showing as a bad cold now.

Harry_the_Spider

^Welcome to The Club!

HughStew

It seems likely that I have it, headache, sore throat, limb aches and inability to sleep more that 4 hrs a night, and my step-daughter was with us last week and has tested positive. 3 lateral flow tests where negative but they are notorious for being inaccurate especially with false negatives. PCR test booked for tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed.

garage-dweller

The rest of the family had PCRs today. They’re not showing symptoms so hopefully they have given it the swerve.

Fingers crossed for you.

theotherjonv

Had a couple of wobbles when standing up though.

I forgot, but yes I had a couple of these too.

And a new one – poss unrelated, poss imaginary given I’m now 3 weeks or so since having it. I keep ‘smelling’ old cigarette smoke. No-one in the house smokes, and in any case it’s not house related, I’ve smelt it randomly at work too yesterday, but that horrible smell of a room after a party the morning after with old ashtrays, dogends shoved into beer cans, and someone passed out on the sofa. Really distinctive and evocative.

MoreCashThanDash

that horrible smell of a room after a party the morning after with old ashtrays, dogends shoved into beer cans, and someone passed out on the sofa. Really distinctive and evocative.

Some sort of PTSD flashback?

BadlyWiredDog

And a new one – poss unrelated, poss imaginary given I’m now 3 weeks or so since having it. I keep ‘smelling’ old cigarette smoke.

Quite a lot of long haulers have had this, so you’re not alone. I’m not saying it’s a suggestion that you have long covid btw, just that it crops up a fair bit.

theotherjonv

yep, 3 weeks isn’t long.

Some sort of PTSD flashback?

they didn’t feel traumatic at the time, I will confess. Morning afters, maybe….

grum
    Free Member

^Welcome to The Club!

Yup, thanks. 🙂 Confirmed member as of this morning. Kind of a relief TBH as my partner tested positive too and she is in the CEV shielding category as a kidney transplant recipient – was told by her consultant there’s only a 60% survival rate for people who’ve had that. She’s fine, recovered quicker than me!

Harry_the_Spider

Had to swap a wheel out on my wife’s bike which involved getting five other bikes out to get to the spare. I’m properly falling-over exhausted!

Headache and sniffles have gone. Cough never really took hold.

Was starting to feel a bit guilty for lazing about but now I actually feel like I’ve got something worse than a man cold.

thejesmonddingo

Our grandson (age 3) who lives with us was generally unwell the end of last week, temperature went up to 39.4 deg C ,so had a PCR done Friday, which came back positive, so wife and I got PCRs Monday, me positive, her negative, and she does more of his cares!!. It feels like a bad head cold/mild flu but all the adults in the house were already double jabbed. At least my wife can go and do shopping etc ,ironic as she started a fortnight’s holiday on Monday.

dantsw13

My 10 days post +ve test ends tonight. I still have a light head cold – no idea if that counts as symptoms or not??

Ive heard that PCR tests still show +ve up to 90 days post infection. Is there anything similar on LFT’s? Im off to the Southampton Boat Show in 9 days and require a negative LFT. Plus my job requires a LFT testing regime.

johndoh
    Free Member

A friend (well her entire family of five) recently had it – both adults double-jabbed. He had mild symptoms, she was bed-ridden for a week (she couldn’t even read books as she couldn’t focus her eyes and felt constantly dizzy) and struggled for several days afterwards.

All the children (8, 12, 12) were asymptomatic.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

it’s definitely a debilitating condition, whilst over the more immediate symptoms , fever/ cough / cold , the tiredness lingers as does the brain fog ……..

theotherjonv

Im off to the Southampton Boat Show in 9 days and require a negative LFT. Plus my job requires a LFT testing regime.

I too was told that no point doing PCR for 90 days. Not sure on LFT’s though. Does evidence – NHS email showing your positive PCR work in the same way as being indicative of why you can’t get a negative LFT

dantsw13

It just says “negative LFT required”. Ive got loads of LFT kits at home through both work and my vaccinating. My wife now shows -ve LFT 2 days after her 10 days was up, so fingers crossed. Ive also stopped sneezing now.

Has anyone else noticed the new LFTs being sent out are different? Nose swab only and the test strips seem of much lower quality. The colour leaches and runs after 30 minutes. rubbish really – must be a Tory Donor special.

Poopscoop

^^Indeed, only swab the nose now on my latest kits.

garage-dweller

Has anyone else noticed the new LFTs being sent out are different? Nose swab only and the test strips seem of much lower quality.

It’s wherever they come from. We’ve had three different types recently.

The main thing to note is that all the instructions are subtly different. From memory.

The original NHS ones we had were throat then nose, 1 minute stew, 4 drops, 30 minute wait.

Had some in a green box, 1 nostril, 1 minute to stew, 15 to wait, void if not read at 20.

New box, nose only. Think they may be a 20 minute wait.

I suspect the volumes they’re being consumed at its whatever the NHS can get.

If it’s a medical item though then all this stuff will have had to be validated and it all depends how each manufacturer chose to set up and test the product requirements. Its inevitable that different labs will have found different timings and concentrations of reagents or whatever to be sufficiently effective when this was being raced to market.

theotherjonv

And a new one – poss unrelated, poss imaginary given I’m now 3 weeks or so since having it. I keep ‘smelling’ old cigarette smoke.

Quite a lot of long haulers have had this, so you’re not alone. I’m not saying it’s a suggestion that you have long covid btw, just that it crops up a fair bit.

I half thought you were joking, but it has got more noticeable through the day yesterday and again this morning so I’ve just googled it. And it seems quite common.

It is yeuch….I don’t think I can taste it but smelling it while eating seems to have the same effect.

Covid, a pint of fizzy keg beer and a bag of Big D nuts and it’s your classic 70’s pub experience

MoreCashThanDash

My understanding from what Jnr was told is that he can’t do an LFT or PCR for 3 months having had Covid.

If that is the advice, then I would hope employers and venues have guidance on how to work around this?

Harry_the_Spider

Day 6.

Absolutely knackered. Hung the washing out and now I’m done in.

No smell or taste, but apart from that I have no other symptoms.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

mrs tested positive tuesday – school requires 2 tests per week – she was going in work as normal and noticed extra line on the test…..did another one straight after and line came up instantly

pcr test same day and positive next morning

ive been testing LFT every morn/night since and testing negative so far but felt a bit off lets say, could also be paranoia/anxiety i guess too!

day 2 mrs suddenly came down with flu like symptoms, felt dreadful last night but still able just lounge and watch tv, absolute banging head she says, if she could remove the headache she wouldnt feel too bad at all

day 3 now – she feels a bit brighter today and seems less flu’ey even by voice/eyes but still has headache, shes now lost taste but still has smell

2 AZ jabs done

im still clear as of today, but just been for pcr, will be interesting, as we were in the same bed as of the morn she test positive and even gave me a kiss before she got up haha!

so a waiting game, technically im still allowed to go out and ive got a gig see new order tomorrow night, seems mad if my test comes back clear that im legally allowed to go given im sharing a house with a positive case!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

does it generally seem most people in the same household go on to get it???

both d/jabbed BTW

Harry_the_Spider

My kids just returned negative PCRs. Wife was inconclusive so is testing again.

Murray

Not in my experience – one daughter got it, none of the rest of us despite sharing car and tent.

(both double vaccinated, me with AZ, my wife with Pfizer)

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

interesting! all very strange – i guess were both double jabbed as of july so maybe helped, obviously hasnt stopped her getting it, but hopefully limits the symptoms

grum
    Free Member

Not always in our experience. Possibly because one of the kids has already had it and we didn’t know. Hard to say.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

you’d think sleeping next to each other face to face at some points (until she snores and id have to turn over) all the nights building up to positive test and breathing heavily would make you automatically get it really, guess its all a bit random with no rhyme or reason as to why some and don’t

theotherjonv

it’s not just whether someone’s breathed virus onto you, some people just seem to be able to fight it off. Don’t know why and that’s an unscientific analysis – but eg: here, my wife’s been in the house for 3 weeks while first kids and then me had it….and still clear.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Wife, two kids and me have all got it. Positive LFTs on Monday for me and her, negative LFTs for the boys, but PCRs all came back positive.

I’ve got a bit of a temperature, but wouldn’t call it a fever, had a tight chest yesterday, although that’s eased a bit, slight headache, and have completely lost my sense of smell (can still taste though).

We’re both double jabbed which I guess is helping limit the severity of it. I’m feeling a bit peaky, but this is noticeably less unpleasant than flu so far (I mean in a ‘I’ve been fortunate’ sense, not a ‘what’s all the fuss about’ one).

MoreCashThanDash

both d/jabbed BTW

Our lad – single jabbed – caught it while we were in Edinburgh, pretty sure it was the first night. I attended all the same shows he did, the four of us shared a family room in Youth Hostel for 4 nights, spent 5 hours on the train together on the way back home, took 3 days of cold like symptoms before he tested positive, so we’d taken no action to avoid him.

None of us caught it from him – wife and I double jabbed, daughter no jabs.

Anecdotally, most of the families e know with a positive test over the summer only had one person test positive. I’m hoping that the vaccine is reducing how much virus someone transmits, and how badly people are ill if they get it.

I’m also pretty sure many school kids were exposed to it last year and have some sort of low level immunity by now, but I’m speculating wildly and the evidence probably doesn’t support my ill informed guess.

MoreCashThanDash

this is noticeably less unpleasant than flu so far (I mean in a ‘I’ve been fortunate’ sense, not a ‘what’s all the fuss about’ one).

Yeah, that’s a qualification a few friends have added when talking about it. Tragic for those who get it bad, but more people seem to have mild symptoms.

Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 972 total)

The topic ‘Have any of us actually caught the Coronavirus yet then?’ is closed to new replies.