Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Haunted double glazing – any ideas?
  • thepurist

Got a bit of a problem with the double glazing – whenever the North wind blows (like it is at the mo) any gusts make the windows howl like a bad ghost film sound effect. It’s coming from somewhere around the external side of the frame rather than around any of the windows themselves, but as its the upstairs windows with no easy access for a ladder I’ve not had a chance for a proper look.

The sound is a bit like the noise you got as a kid by sticking a blade of grass between your thumbs and blowing so I’m guessing that somethings vibrating in there, but of course when I get a chance to take a look the wind won’t be blowing so I’ll be none the wiser until the next time I got woken up by the ghoulies…

Any ideas?

wwaswas

“next time I got woken up by the ghoulies”

My kids used to jump on the bed first thing in the morning and land in places I’d rather they didn’t too.

you’re going to have to go up a ladder when it’s doign it, I think.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Drain holes? Gaps between frames and opening bits so rubber seal vibrates?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Haunted you say? Does the ghost in question have an Essex accent, perchance?

coffeeking
    Free Member

<coffee spluttered over keyboard>

thepurist

Should’ve said that it still does it with the windows open so that’s why I think it must be something in/around the frame rather than anything to do with seals on the opening bits. I was just wondering if there was some ‘usual suspect’ for that sort of thing. It’s only really started over the last winter too.

BAD Cap’n!

andywhit
    Free Member

Take a piece of paper and run it around the edge of the opening windows where the window meets the rubber seal on the frame (inside the house). You’re looking for areas where the paper slides in between the window and the rubber seal i.e. where there’s a gap. Chances are you’ve got gaps and this is where the howling is coming from. I have the same issues.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

This happens on a small window we have – a bit of masking tape down the frame edge/wall joint stopped it – so it’s staying put for now!

Spongebob
    Free Member

Do you see strange images appearing in the panes of glass?

cbike
    Free Member

Shoddily fitted poor design which we excel at in the uk.

There is probably a seal or insulation vibrating like a reed. Fill up the gap

I lived in a house in NZ that blew rasperries when it was windy.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Haunted double glazing – any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.