Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Hateful Eight. (Spoilers ahoy)
  • kimbers

Just got back, that was a ride, is definitely wrong to laugh at so much violence but I did

Jackson stole the show, loving Kurt Russell (tho if one of then had turned out to be an evil shapeshifting alien disguised as a human trapped in a hut in the snow…… )
    Walton Goggins was great too,( more Boyd crowther that Shane vendrell)

Best scene, Jackson provoking the general with his snowy blow job story

wrecker
    Free Member

Can’t wait to see it, and not too many spoilers there.
    I loved Revenant which is the best revenge flick I have ever seen and also the big short. I would recommend watching the documentary; Inside Job (narrated by Matt Damon of all people) beforehand for some setting. If you think you hate bankers now…….

kimbers

I’m definitely up for revenant !

H8 takes a while to build….. then people start dying

wrecker
    Free Member

Dicaprio is excellent (as always) and Hardy is a hateful ****!
    The big short is great too. Right up your alley!

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I enjoyed the Hateful Eight but the Revenant is gruelling gripping and stunning in equal measures.

mangoman
    Free Member

Likewise. I enjoyed the Hateful Eight, but for whatever reason felt it was a little trite. Thoroughly enjoyed the Revenant though.

Drac

Hateful 8 was very good I preferred Tim Roth over Jackson though. The Reverant was Ok just dragged on and too much, phew! He made it.

bobbyspangles

talk talk talk talk talk kill talk talk talk talk kill.

thats my hateful8 review. great film , took me back to Reservoir dog days. Michael Madsen being Michael Madsen again, in my opinion he could not be in any other directors films and be himself.

Enjoy of you are going

choppersquad
    Free Member

Going tonight.
    Very much looking forward to it.

Euro
    Free Member

I preferred Tim Roth over Jackson though.

I got the feeling Tarantino asked Roth to do his finest Christoph Waltz impression in that role. And Russell to do his John Wayne. Russell got away with it but i could see Roth acting, if you know what i mean. It didn’t work for me. Sharp dialogue as always and fairly epic for a Tarantino film. Who knew he could do outdoors? Enjoyed it.

Reverant was fairly slow but also enjoyable. The opening shot – panning up the stream was just lovely.

Also saw Bridge of Spies. Never heard of Mark Rylance before, heard of him now. Great performance.

Still got a load of screeners* to get through, looking forward to Anomalisa.

* Before you get your knickers in a twist – i go to the cinema to watch them again if i enjoyed them 😛

superfli
    Free Member

Ywah Hateful 8 was classic Tarantino! It reminded me too of Reservoir Dogs with all the killings. Jackson taunting the General was great!
    Revenant also another great film out at the moment. I’m loving these gruesome bear attacks! BackCountry was another ferocious bear attack. Tom Hardy doing his fair share of films recently with Legend and Mad Max (a few months ago now).

Drac

Yup Resivor Dogs as a Western is the best way to describe it. I agree I think Waltz was meant for that part but Roth carried it of well I though. I also agree that it hints towards the Thing esoecially worth Kurt in it. Jackson was on form again with he long lines of dialogue and taunting. Tarantino does some great characters.

Hardy is brilliant in Legend he plays the part of a Psychotic Schizophrenic rather well.

drlex
    Free Member

Great film. Was wondering whether Samuel L Jackson’s marksmanship was a nod to the Trinity westerns. Agree with Euro that Roth was hamming up up a bit in both roles, but it didn’t detract from the overall enjoyment. Now to look up Reverant/Reverent.

BillOddie

I got the feeling Tarantino asked Roth to do his finest Christoph Waltz impression in that role.

Isn’t Tim Roth playing someone playing a character though?

Euro
    Free Member

Isn’t Tim Roth playing someone playing a character though?

Was it Waltz? 😉 [self edit: to much spoils] Didn’t know Waltz was originally for the part but when i watched i just thought it was Roth doing his Jew Hunter impression. As an actor i’d be a bit annoyed if the director wanted me to to act like the guy who (presumably) turned down the role (not saying that occurred btw). That said, his part was small enough not to affect the movie.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Must be just me then that thought it was a thoroughly horrible film with no real redeeming features . Graphic violence that detracted from rather than enhanced the story , which in itself was massively unbelievable . Well acted I will agree but as has been said previously it was like a western version of Reservoir Dogs which I also hated for the same reasons . Just to balance my opinion Pulp Fiction is my favourite all time film and it had plenty of violence in it but it was lifted by the black humour which this film and Reservoir Dogs lacked . Kind of unfortunate for Tarrantino that “his masterpiece” was not this film , but Pulp Fiction which was made early in his career and he has failed by some distance to get close to it in any subsequent offerings .

CountZero

@RamseyNeil – probably just you. I have yet to see H8, probably next week, but I have no issues with violence in films*; it is a movie after all, and not real life, and I know exactly what to expect from Tarantino.
    I actually enjoyed Machete, although that isn’t Tarantino.
    Not sure about Revenant, I may go to see it, haven’t made up my mind. It does remind me very much of a film I saw many years ago, the title of which completely escapes me, but involved a tracker who was forced to guide a group of either soldiers or settlers through a Native American burial ground, and ends up being hunted himself.
    Perhaps it’s just both films involve mountain men with lots of snow.
    *I have to qualify that by saying that one act of senseless brutal violence in Pan’s Labyrinth has meant I can never bring myself to watch it again. There is a difference in the way the violence is handled, though, which makes a difference to my enjoyment of the films.

Torminalis
    Free Member

The problem with Tarantino films these days is that they are so obviously Tarantino films. It has got to the point where it annoys me because they are so self referential and “meta”. Same actors, same sharp banter, same pools of blood for people to sit around in. I’m bored.

Now The Revenant, there’s a movie.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Just in – Weak, weak script, the only thing it had in common with Reservoir Dogs was the violence. RD is basically one fantastic scene after another, each one with consistently great dialogue. H8 has one great scene, the rest of it was really pretty boring. It’s like a second rate Tarantino tribute movie.

Looking forward to the Revenant though.

Drac

The only thing was the violence?

So not the group of people in one room, not that one was possibly a traitor, not the background flashback stories just the violence?

hora
    Free Member

I thought it was terrible. Like Jackie Brown. QT – boy when he hits the mark, but when he misses..abit like the old Woody Allen.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Fair points Drac, although none of them really occurred to me when watching. Probably didn’t occur, because…

It’s not like the (one/two?) instances of flashback in H8 was comparable with all the cutting back and forwards that went on in RD. The big reveal in H8 is done all at once, whereas in RD it’s fed to you, bit by bit.

I’d also argue that in H8, you have a static group of people in one room (with the exception of the surprise guest under the floorboards) – RD’s more dynamic, as people appear one-by-one.

Anyway, one’s a modern classic, the other one is Hateful Eight.

Drac

Yeah it’s not an exact match just similar.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hmmm.

Mixed reviews then.

I saw the trailer at the Star Wars screening the other day and thought “awe, go on watch this yer freak”
    But looks like I may not like it.

Hey ho.

Drac

Only one way to find out. It’s not his masterpiece as claimed but it is very good.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

@RamseyNeil – probably just you.

The problem with Tarantino films these days is that they are so obviously Tarantino films. It has got to the point where it annoys me because they are so self referential and “meta”. Same actors, same sharp banter, same pools of blood for people to sit around in. I’m bored.

Just in – Weak, weak script, the only thing it had in common with Reservoir Dogs was the violence. RD is basically one fantastic scene after another, each one with consistently great dialogue. H8 has one great scene, the rest of it was really pretty boring. It’s like a second rate Tarantino tribute movie.[/quote]

I thought it was terrible. Like Jackie Brown. QT – boy when he hits the mark, but when he misses..abit like the old Woody Allen.

Apparently not

yunki
    Free Member

Hateful 8 was amusing and entertaining but I felt disappointed with the way the tension built and then kinda rushed and bumbled through the action and conclusion..
    Also watched The Revenant last night.. An Oscar for the bear surely?

choppersquad
    Free Member

Well I watched it last night and thought it was great.
    Samuel Jackson was amazing in Pulp Fiction, but I think he was even better in Hateful Eight.
    There were a couple of gruesome bits but surely that’s what you expect from Tarantino?
    All the characters were spot on and the dialogue was fantastic.
    For a three hour film, the time flew by.

rone

This was a great film – really steady pick-up, taking time shaping characters and setting the scene. Strong on atmosphere and tension. I feared it would be another Tarantino dud (Not really liked anything since Jackie Brown – save perhaps Inglorious Basterds.) – with Jackson doing his whole shouting thing. However I loved the pace, it really took it’s time to set up the denouement which comes with a wallop.

Generally speaking this was Tarantino without too much novelty film-making which was great for me. I didn’t mind the expected violence, it’s part of the canvas of Tarantino and Western films in general, and the fact that it was held off for so long at least shows some restraint.

Downsides – 15 mins could’ve been removed from the beginning and a little from the end perhaps. And 70mm is not what it’s cracked up to be these days – even though the lensing from Robert Richardson was great (the scenes with bright tables and shadow detail – amazing!).

First great film of 2016 for me.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Preferred the hateful 8 to revenent, which is just grim.

Neither are amazing films, but both are worth a watch.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Hateful Eight. (Spoilers ahoy)’ is closed to new replies.