• This topic has 83 replies, 67 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • hate to say it but, almost too hot to ride
  • pjm84
    Free Member

Went out early today ….. much better.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Tempted to go MTB’ing in the full lycra roadie kit, its a lot more comfortable in this weather.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s funny being somewhere hot and sweaty and reading about the UK being hot and sweaty

I’ve been to hot sweaty places, this is still hot and sweaty.

I once had to pull over to the side of the road when driving in a thunderstorm (fortunately on a deserted country road) because I could not see at all. The only think I could make out was the white line at the roadside for about 2 feet, enough to get off the road.

mtbfix

Only downside to the heat is the number of horseflies that home in on you as soon as you stop.

northernerindevon

Just back from 20 miles around the coast path here in Glorious Devon, mid week so no (ok, very few!) ramblers, plentiful swims in the sea when it all gets a bit sweaty, a picnic and riding in just shorts and sandals (and frequently reapplied Factor 30!) – This is what we have waited 4 years for! No hours of cleaning muddy bikes, kit and clothes just delicious dust. GET IN!!!!!!

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Just about to head off for a 70+ mile road ride, hope I don’t melt so steady pace me thinks.

rOcKeTdOg

Just got home, 50 miles on the mtb, 3 cafés 1/8 of a bottle of factor 30 & a tropical solero. My legs are black with sweaty dust and the bike is grey. Absolutely flipping awesome! 🙂

I’ve just jet washed my helmet 8)

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Fabulous early ride today at Cannock in (slightly) cooler and shaded conditions…..red dusty and sandy trail felt like something from the Aussie outback. Still sweated several litres though…..seriously considering a Bjorne Borg type head band to stop my riding glasses filling up from the bottom like pool goggles!

richmars

Riding’s OK when it’s hot, the problem is when you stop.
    Not that I was riding today, watch F1 testing at a baked Silverstone.

oldgit
    Free Member

Just about to head off for a 70+ mile road ride, hope I don’t melt so steady pace me thinks.

Talking of melting, watch the tarmac it was lethal in a few places earlier. Anyway the heats great, love it. Just cracked my fastest solo 100km it was so nice, even undid my jersey zip two inches.

Hot was winter cyclo cross in 30 degrees a year or so back, they changed the rules that day about hand ups

stewartc
    Free Member

30 degrees, sounds like a pre 10am ride?
    Try plus 30 and 80-90% humidity…….

930am, a few weeks ago, its got hotter but I after many cold wet years on the Surrey Hills, I don’t mind so much.
    Heat is not so bad, its the humidity that drains you.

rOcKeTdOg

Yes tarmac sections were seriously sucky in places today

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

every weekend I say I’ll go out late afternoon but then i’m too chilled after the beer and/or mojito’s…. life is still good though..

bullandbladder
    Free Member

“Just jet-washed my helmet” 😆

slider888
    Free Member

a mate said up hamsterley on Saturday
    “it’s sh!t this.am all owa in the dust”
    😯

Drac

WITCH!

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Last few days when I could have been out on my bike of an evening, I’ve been out on my sit-on kayak instead. Conditions are absolutely perfect for it.

racefaceec90

this weather is fantastic (but veeerrry hot to ride in). the last 2 decent rides i have done,i got sunburned on both of them (too tight to buy suntan lotion).

am going to try for a sunup road ride tomorrow morning (if my bloomin insomia doesn’t stop me),hopefully leave at 4am and do a nice road ride to marlbrough and back via calne silbury hill and then back to devizes via pewsey vale.

the temp will be just right and hopefully not much traffic on the roads either 😀

feisty
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden for over 2 weeks, before that I was doing 5-700 miles a month but my body sucks with heat.

I tried to go for a ride 2 weekends ago but when I woke up I couldn’t get out of bed and the covers were hurting my hand, I then woke up fully and realised I was lying in a bush and my bed covers were in fact nettles hence my painful hand, I had passed out at the top of a climb only three miles in despite drinking loads of water (I don’t normally drink anything on rides under 30 miles)!

I used to pass out all the time at school in the heat, so much the teachers used to stand people behind me to catch me during hot weather as they were fed up with me smacking my head on the way down.

I have spent all the hot weather in doors with a muggy head moaning about the oppressive pressure and heat, I love being at work in a chilly air cooled office

This weather sucks 👿

rOcKeTdOg

today in pictures

angryratio
    Free Member

Trip to Thrunton woods on my latest singlespeed hack.
    12 year old Saracen frame tarted up.

dantsw13

I’m having to make my rides longer to offset the calories consumed by eating flies. Not sure how many one is though?

rOcKeTdOg
    mikertroid
    Free Member

Putting in some of my best times and its been 31/32 here today. Really not feeling it as long as I don’t stop!

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Got back from my ride just over an hour ago and I’ve sweated away half my body weight and my legs would not shut up all through the ride, that’s the toughest 60 miler I’ve done. Also weighed myself and I’m down to 12 1/4 stone so minus the bowl of pasta and meatballs I can scrub another pound or two off that. I weighed 14 stone at Xmas.

rOcKeTdOg

i think this mornings ride was hotter! 😯

dazh

I love riding in the heat. Anyone else get what I can only describe as ‘hot goosebumps’? It’s very odd, usually happens on climbs, I get goosebumps on my arms and they feel hot and start to tingle. Then the tingling turns into waves of heat travelling up my arms almost like shivers. Very strange, but rather a nice feeling.

rOcKeTdOg

sunny morning danger panda. only one cafe visited today 🙁

martinhutch

You know it’s hot when you start scanning the trail ahead for potential shady lines. I only did 10 miles this morning, and that felt like plenty.

jools182
    Free Member

there was actual sand on the trails in hayfield last night, and one out of place puddle

emac65
    Free Member

Loving this weather for riding,so long as I don’t stop cos then the sweat just pours out of me…

banks
    Free Member

All over the peaks has been bizarre these past few months, like a dust bowl. Having to empty my shoes of dust is a Novelty

binners

Met office is saying 22 degrees at 10 at night tonight. We’re off to Rivi

The moors are dusty. Actually dusty. They’ve been an absolute bog for 2 years prior to this sun. Its bloody brilliant!!!! 😀

seadog101

My brother and I did 18 miles over the moors and around Hamsterley today. Sufferingly hot and dausty over the tops, lovely and cool in the trees.

The heat still made some of the climbs a bit of a punishment.

Still had fun though, better than running from a massive storm the last time I was over the hills and far away.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

One front wheel washout in a fast dusty corner (under a tree) and several near misses with sandy trails, a tractor and 2 white vans during a 2 hour spin today. “I think” that I like riding in this weather but the fat lip is still throbbing!

martymac

i have a 2008 orange P7, i bought it new in, er, 2008.
    these last few weeks have seen it covered in a phenomenon unknown to it, namely dust.
    it hasnt been this warm for any more than a day or two at a time since i moved to fife in 2007.
    as someone who isnt a heatlover, im lovin it, i could easily get used to this.

flanagaj
    Free Member

You should be burnt at the stake for such a remark!

It’s friggin awesome.

hora
    Free Member

I must admit tonight in the woods it was very humid. Too humid.

badbob
    Free Member

did the marshbrook marathon, was very hot there, lot of people suffering, few fainted, few needed treatment for heat exhaustion and so on

good day tho!

hora
    Free Member

This weekend Im starting at 7am and salting my bacon butty

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘hate to say it but, almost too hot to ride’ is closed to new replies.