Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Hatchback recommendations please
  • tang
    Free Member

Auto 5 door hatch, 3-4 yo, just go Golf? If so which engine? Low mileage so likely petrol. Anything else to consider. I hate buying cars.

jeffl

STW favourite of an octavia. Believe the 1.4tsi engine is pretty good if you can find one. When I was looking the majority were diesel.

SaxonRider

No idea as to the precise answer to your question, but what about a Focus? Especially one in a nice colour?

I love the look of these!

chestrockwell

How long are you going to keep it for? If you plan to run it in to the ground don’t go Golf as you pay a premium for what is in effect the same as a Leon or Octavia. If you want the premium version of that chassis get a Audi A3 as it’s a posh Golf but will cost pretty much the same at 3/4 years old.

Focus is a good shout if you get the 1.0 3 cylinder turbo. I had one and thought it was ace. Depending what you want from it I can also highly recommend a BMW 1 Series. We’ve had a couple now and they really are great to drive.

Edukator
    Free Member

A Zoé or Leaf.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

A Seat Leon would be worth a look – FR spec with a 1.4 petrol engine.

Or Focus as suggested above – but bear in mind there is a new Focus out this year.

madhouse

Was in the same position last year when I replaced my 12yr old Golf, mulled over all sorts of options …….. got another Golf. That’ll do me for another 10 years at which point someone should have worked out how to make an affordable electric car that’ll do more than 100 miles and doesn’t look like a cartoonist drew it (fingers crossed for a Model 3 estate).

tang
    Free Member

Probably 8-10 years, talking 6/7k per year.

blitz

Recently replaced a 2.2 diesel Mondeo with a 1.8 TSI petrol Octavia. The Octavia is just as practical from a space perspective but is nippier, more fun to drive and much easier to park. Doesn’t look as nice but not bothered. Really like it.

Kryton57

1 series with the 2.0d Engine.   Best drive, RWD, and best combo of economy and a little pace from that engine.  Bigger than people often take them for.

belfastflyer
    Free Member

Another vote for the focus. I got mine last year (1.5 diesel) and it’s great. Plus with the new look 2018 coming in later in the year I’m sure you could negotiate a good deal on last years model.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Mondeo why go smaller when you can get larger for same money (and better car)

CountZero

Also worth looking at Kia and Hyundai, the latter do really nice cars, especially the ix20, the hot version kicked the ass of the Golf GTI on Top Gear! Lots of both around, the Cee’d is a fine, practical car, then there are the Astra and Corsa, if you don’t mind going a bit smaller; the SR and SRi Corsa both have heated screens, which only appears on the Ford range. I’ve driven a lot of both Astra and Corsa, and they’re well equipped and comfy cars. I’ve got an Octavia, which has been a great car, but it’s also a big car, if you want to stick with VAG, go for a Seat Leon, the FR gets LED headlights, and they’re lovely cars to drive, I’ve enjoyed every one I’ve driven, the Ibiza is a bit basic and smaller.

Of course, there’s the SUV Crossover market to consider as well, but that might be getting into contentious waters! I’ve got a Qashqai out front, and that’s a lovely car to drive, as is the Hyundai ix35, but may not be where you want to go; I love the higher seating position, but then I’m getting old and creaky… 💀

Because not everyone needs a car big enough to have its own postcode…

matt_outandabout

In that vein the V70 that we bought yesterday was exactly same cost as a Mondeo….(£30 tax on the beomoth also)

downshep

Wife’s had a manual 1.4 Golf Tsi for 6 years with zero faults. Next car will be a DSG due to the urban miles she does.

VAG DSG boxes are the smoothest and most reliable dry clutch semi auto boxes widely available. I’ve driven quite a few and they are excellent. (google check for VAG, then other brands). Your mileage doesn’t warrant diesel and there’s new tax implications looming. If VW or Audi are too expensive, look at Skoda and SEAT for something sporty or comfy with the same oily bits for less cash.

simon_g

As a long term ownership prospect I’d find it hard to look past a 1.8 petrol auto Civic. Much simpler mechanicals with a regular torque converter auto and a NA engine.

Huge boot and practical flip-up seats too.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Skoda Octavia 1.4tsi (150)  here, brilliant so far!

matt_outandabout

VAG DSG boxes are the smoothest and most reliable dry clutch semi auto boxes widely available

Warranty Direct figures for failure rates were so high they issued an ‘avoid like the plague’ statement, and HonestJohn says don’t go there…

rachelgreep
    Free Member

I’ve got a Leon and can’t fault it. It’s the second one I’ve had and have been really happy with it.

chewkw
    Free Member

How about Toyota? I like Toyota me.

Toyota Auris Automatic TR Multimode 5dr 1.6L (2007 – 2011 model) Petrol 124bhp (some 130bhp) Annual tax £150 – £190.   Price £2.9k + to £.5.0k+  Mileage 25k to 96k.

I like the pre-2015 model because of the headroom and practical look rather than the “sporty” ugly new facelift (2015 onward).   I think from 2018 they have stopped producing 1.6 automatic TR Multimode by replacing them with 1.2L Petrol Turbo (115 hp) Automatic.  1.2L is going to push the engine to its limit … bad move for a medium hatchback.

Edit: Not sure if they use VAG DSG box as I am driving a 2005 model. 🙂

epicsteve
    Free Member

We had a similar decision recently and went with a petrol Mercedes A180. Excellent auto, surprisingly quick and decent economy (I’m getting 45mpg and I’m not known for getting decent fuel consumption).

I did briefly think about a Focus but while I thought the 125bhp version of the 1.0l engine was great in the Fiesta (my daughter has one) I’m not as convinced by it in the bigger Focus. We’ve had a 1 series BMW before and that was fine, but the Mercedes is a lot nicer. The VAG stuff I just didn’t like plus my experience with VW/Audi dealers in the past wasn’t great.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Last shape civic. Mahoosive boot, reliable, low insurance . The rear seating arrangement is brilliant (rear seats fold up so no need to drop rears if needed.) Also with rears down it folds flat.

Last shape are quite cheap and you will get a better spec than the German equivalent

CountZero

Another suggestion would be the Ford B-Max, great little car, based on the Fiesta, but with an estate back, except it has a higher, flatter roofline to accommodate sliding rear doors, so you get a nice big open space to load at the side of the car with only the front doors extending outwards, and with the rear hatch up it’s easy to shove loads of stuff. Nice to drive, too, like the Fiesta and Focus, and you get a heated screen as standard.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Hatchback recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.