Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Has/does anyone here put a bike in the back of an Alfa 159 Sportwagon?
  • Kryton57

Is is possible (I’d think yes), but is it difficult due to the boot lid shape? I don’t mind putting it with the front wheel off and twiddle the ‘bars a bit to get it in. But I don’t want a half hour struggle either.

More specifically, a 29er…

So?

MrNutt
    Free Member

don’t they come with a pair of roller boots, to get you to the nearest dealership?

Kryton57

Can I just have an answer to the question please rather than an Alfa slag fest?

Thanks

northernmatt

I think peterfile has/had one? Only remember as it was a nice white one.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Haven’t you tried it yet ?

Or

Still pondering ?

xcstu
    Free Member

Sorry edit.. only time put in the car was for security and went behind the front seats without wheels.. mind not a 29r at the time.. too good an interior to put inside really…. Yep I do.. Use a saris carrier and spot on… generally wheels off and in wheel bags but sometime get lazy and leave on when covered in crap.. pics has my old s works but now have a 29r and fine

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

At least your planning ahead. The question should be “how fast can you get a bike out of a blazing Alfa 159”

Kryton57

Haven’t you tried it yet ?

Or

Still pondering ?

No, going to see one on Tuesday, which means an arduous train journey. I’m confident I’ll like it, but a bike has to go in the back and struggling with the bike into the boot is a deal breaker. I’ve noted through research that the rear seats don’t go flat. The brief has the bike in the boot as a priority . Otherwise its going to be V50 2.0D R design.

xcstu, I have a Saris bones but would be concerned about the feet marking the paint (it did on another car) and making access to the rear so difficult kind of renders it pointless as it won’t be used to shift fridges, we have another car for that, this one is bike /kryton specific.

northernmatt

Or maybe it was him up there ^

Lovely cars

simon_g

Boot dimensions here: http://rica.org.uk/2516

Compare with something you know. Subjective but they seemed a lot bigger than my old 156SW and that was fine.

Kryton57

Thanks Simon – I have the dimensions – thats no problem. The issue is with the shape of the boot lid/lip and the non flat folding rear seats.

xcstu
    Free Member

Never had an issue with the bike rack marking the paintwork! Tend to keep it clean before fitting!

Must say the boot isn’t one of the biggest but you don’t buy an alfa 159 for the boot 🙂 As for the rear seats depending on model and year some split fold and some don’t.. Mine is a split fold and pretty much goes flat when down!

br
    Free Member

Take the wheels off and just slide onto the back seat; worked for my 5 series saloon.

And put a tow bar on, pointless having a Saris (or the like) as you then can’t get into the hatch.

droppinneutron
    Free Member

Beautiful car-would love one-but an estate should have roof rails and that’s the best place for bikes I think

Kryton57

Must say the boot isn’t one of the biggest but you don’t buy an alfa 159 for the boot

The most I’ll need it for is a bike, tent, tools & clothing. The one I’m looking at is split seats so maybe it fold flat then.

In your opinion xcstu, with the front wheel off could you slide your bike in through the aperture – imagine the bike lying on its non-mech side bars pointing up with one end on the floor?

bigdean

They fit in fine with the seats down. I soon bought a towbar rack though.

Kryton57

thanks big dean – you bought a tow bar rack because you wanted the interior to be kept tidy or for another reason?

xcstu
    Free Member

Beautiful car-would love one-but an estate should have roof rails and that’s the best place for bikes I think

I was a little disappointed didn’t find mine with roof bars but one of alfas roof rails did the trick with a roof box for camping clobber.. Like my bike to much to have it sat on the roof get blown to bits!

In your opinion xcstu, with the front wheel off could you slide your bike in through the aperture – imagine the bike lying on its non-mech side bars pointing up with one end on the floor?

Ya reckon it would go! only concern maybe if you have a long seatpost might need taking out?? Never tried with mine but maybe I should have a go 🙂

bigdean

I had a 156 before and didnt mind the odd bit a muck from the bike in there. The 159 is cleaner and just got the towbar rack to keep it cleaner. If its a desiel read up on drilling the back of the dpf incase you get consistant regen issues and front wheel bearings for some reason are dealer only, but easy to do if your handy with a set of spanners.

Oh not a downer post, i love the car.

Kryton57

That looks lovely xcstu. Of my two cars the Alfa is £1500 cheaper, bigger mileage (115000 vs 90000) yet has had the DMF, clutch and belts done, Nav and phone the Volvo hasn’t.

I do have a saris bones rack, but I also have a “rails” roof rack that would sit straight on top of the Volvo, although soon the saved money I would have funds for the Alfa’s rack . Both can get the bike in the boot.

AAAARGH!

Xcstu – those racks fit around and under the door sills? They don’t mark the car?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I ditched my Saris Bones as I got fed up of faffing around with the straps to fit the thing, and unless you do wash the paintwork beforehand it will scratch. Matters less on a silver or white car, but still not ideal.
    (looking on in 159SW envy, I want one also!)

bigrich

roof bars are the only way to go.

Nobby

My mtb & roadie go in my boot easily enough & I don’t even bother lifting the parcel shelf out – seats down, front wheel off ( if I can be bothered/bike too dirty). Should give you an idea…. 😉

Edit: if that’s not enough, add a discreet towbar.

Kryton57

Nobby ive forgotten what yours is- a guiletta?

Nobby

Yup, less space than the 159 SW.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

I just sold a 159 Sportwagen.

To get my MTB in without a wrestling match I always used to pop both wheels out.
    Road bikes went in fine with just the front wheel off though.

For the record – I had a TI spec in black. It was exceptional. I had it from new up to 45k miles and it never missed a beat.
    I’d have one again in a heartbeat.

br
    Free Member

For the record – I had a TI spec in black. It was exceptional. I had it from new up to 45k miles and it never missed a beat.

And so it should at that mileage, while the OP is buying one with 115k already on it…

xcstu
    Free Member

Xcstu – those racks fit around and under the door sills? They don’t mark the car?

Ya that’s right… Marked as a alfa but made by Thule! The roof rack is fairly new but used quite a few times and taken it on and off with no markings! I had added some rubber between car and claps just to be on the safe side! (A bit OCD haha)

Just out of interest what model you looking at? Mines the ti 2.0 diesel which has the much better gearbox and I’ve had the dpf hollowed out and remapped to 200 bhp…

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

And so it should at that mileage, while the OP is buying one with 115k already on it…

I’ve had other cars from new that’ve had plenty of issues way before 45k.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well Kryton I guess your journey will be fraught with worry and end up with you having no nails left.

You do know it’s just a car, a car that will be fine and just maybe you’ll like driving it and hauling your bike in and out of. I totally understand the primary role for your car, I too have similar issues with stuff being locked away out of sight but chosen a Van for bike carrying duties. I sometimes carry my bikes (one at a time) on a Saris on the back of my convertible and its a bloody worry I don’t need nor want and it’s such a pain going anywhere then stopping off on the way for a coffee or pee.
    But you don’t want a van, understand that.

I think once you get over the purchase and first few weeks of settling into ownership and getting your bike in/out that you’ll love it, most do it’s only the folks with a lack of a heartbeat that moan about simple jiggly bits that sometimes go wrong and become annoying.

Having said that that Red Volvo you showed a pic of looked Ok, if the Alfa turns out to be a bit meh then you still could buy that.

Best of luck with your choice, sure it’ll be fine.

Kryton57

Just out of interest what model you looking at

Its a 1.9JTDm Lusso, black with red leather interior, but with the not so good sat nav/touch screen dash. Like this, but with darker tinted rear windows:

I too have similar issues with stuff being locked away out of sight

I don’t really have security issues bikebuoy, its more a question of economy when the bike isn’t on the roof, as I do a fair bit of motorway driving for work. Well, 2/3rd’s of 7000 miles anyway.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I have an XL sized 29er, goes in the alfa 159sw with front wheel off, seats down.

In fact we have had three people and bikes in the car before and it was OK.

Its a long way from a practical estate through, the load area is actually quite narrow, and the hatch is small, resulting in needing to thread the bikes into it really.

it often gets filled up with, two bikes, climbing and camping equipment for long weekends away when the GF and I take trips, its fine.

I have a tow bar mount carrier as well, for when 3 or more of us are going away together.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

xcstu – Member
    Like my bike to much to have it sat on the roof get blown to bits!

ah come on now….. ‘oh no, the wind is getting my bike 🙁 ‘

Kryton57

Arse. The one I was looking at has sold.

Volvo V50 R Design anyone? 😀

Kryton57

But whoop whoop I found another younger, better one with roof rails as well.

Karma maybe….

xcstu
    Free Member

xcstu – Member
    Like my bike to much to have it sat on the roof get blown to bits!
    ah come on now….. ‘oh no, the wind is getting my bike ‘

haha.. 🙂 blown to bits with grit etc at XXX MPH.. ah no thanks and no crap on the roof to boot

timraven

I had a 156, which is older, but a similar size and shape. Generally just took the front wheel out on my 26″

Great cars if you get a good one, I’ve had 3 Alfa’s, one was a bit of a pig, but mostly because it had been poorly repaired after an accident.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Has/does anyone here put a bike in the back of an Alfa 159 Sportwagon?’ is closed to new replies.