Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Has your LBS refused to work on your bike?
  • martib

So I got back into Mountain Biking in the last 12 months and given the abuse my bike takes, I try and do as much maintenance as possible. Now I have dropped into my LBS for the odd bits that I am not sure about or don’t have the tools for. Anyway I started a little job that has turned into a bit of an ongoing saga, I take one bit off and another piece needs replacing (OK it was a worn chain, slapped wrist, will check it’s wear more often)
    Called LBS the other day to see if they had a crankset in stock (Am in hurry to get bike up & running) and they called me back to say they could not source one so, checked online and found one on an Internet site and ordered it. Arrived today and sods law, ran into another problem, while fitting the pedals (which could happen anytime) So nipped bike down to the LBS to be told “we can’t work on it as we didn’t supply the parts, because of insurance” They are going to look at it as I pointed out that I did phone them and they couldn’t source them.

I just wondered if this was standard or anyone else had this issue, seems a bit of an odd stance to take essentially turning away business.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Their choice.

jekkyl

curious to know what problem you had fitting pedals?

NZCol

Next post will be you complaining they charged you £20….they can’t win.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“seems a bit of an odd stance to take essentially turning away business.”

depends how busy they ar – ive seen shops turn away extra low profit work when they are rammed out the door with a 6 week backlog….. but to lie saying its insurance stipulated – ill be very surprised if they are in business long if they have got cycle repair insurance that states they cant fit parts supplied by the customer.

Its not a stance i would personally taketo turn away internet bought compnant fitting., personally the bike shop as we know it is going to morph to be a service – much like a car garage – when was the last time you went to a car workshop to browse for a new gear box or a new door off the shelf ?

cliffyc
    Free Member

Odd,perhaps they meant they could not cover any warranty directly as part not supplied by the shop. When I worked at a LBS and someone wanted a component/bike building we charged over our normal rates. Next time they came in and bought the parts off us.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The insurance thing smells like shite.

I’ve refused to work on bikes mostly because they are not safe and customer isnt prepared to spend to make them safe.

I’m not saying this is you OP but it is intensely annoying when a customer claims to know how to fix things, doesn’t have the tools, or wants you to do a half job etc.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Take it as a subtle hint.
    You’re a PITA and they can’t be doing with your mithering.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Time to look for a new LBS.
    Or get booked on a mechanics course..

jimc101
    Free Member

Up to them if they want to work on it, but time to find a new LBS if they can’t source something as simple as a crank (on the basis that they really couldn’t, not just within a very limited time scale)

If you have worn out the crank through a worn chain, you will probably need to replace the cassette as well, this will normally wear out much quicker than the crank, are you sure you are replacing the correct part?

falkirk-mark

Learn to fix your own bike, they obviously do not need the work.

martib

curious to know what problem you had fitting pedals?

Despite having removed them and put them on numerous times, One of the pedals got slightly cross threaded and damaged the start of the thread, so rather then risk damaging it more. I am hoping they may be able to do something with it.

Entered for a ride at the weekend, hence my urgency to get the bike back on the road

andylaightscat
    Free Member

They’re probably busy building Christmas bikes at the moment, so doubt they’re interested in the work

martib

Up to them if they want to work on it, but time to find a new LBS if they can’t source something as simple as a crank (on the basis that they really couldn’t, not just within a very limited time scale)

If you have worn out the crank through a worn chain, you will probably need to replace the cassette as well, this will normally wear out much quicker than the crank, are you sure you are replacing the correct part?

That’s why it has turned into a saga, started with replacing the chain & worn jockey wheels, then the cassette and now the crankset.

We learn from our mistakes and I will be checking the chain stretch on a regular basis from now on

jambalaya
    Free Member

What @rorschach says. You’ve made a mess of something and IMO not surprisingly they don’t want the PITA rush job of sorting it out. The quick way to fix this is to buy some more cranks and chalk it down to experience.

martib

They’re probably busy building Christmas bikes at the moment, so doubt they’re interested in the work

Their mechanic was off today and to be fair he is usually quite good, today I spoke to the owner who said he would be in tomorrow & could look at it. Whenever I have dropped stuff off to be done, it has usually been done that day. Where I used to live I put my bike in for a service, it got stuck in a 6 week backlog. Hence the main reason why I am learning to do some of the stuff myself.

thursdayshirts
    Free Member

if you carefully put the pedal in through the back of the crank arm it can chase out the wrecked threads enough to get the pedal in properly.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

My LBS won’t work on my road bike because it has a Campagnolo groupset, and “Campagnolo is shit”, apparently

rocketman
    Free Member

the bike shop as we know it is going to morph to be a service

One of our local glass & marble emporiums is like this. I was in there the other day making the place look untidy and the staff were talking to the punter about his bike in the same way as they would a car or a domestic appliance.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Yeah…I’ve been a PITA customer myself in the past and have been refused service.

But since then I’ve dropped by my LBS with biscuits, beer and tea and as a result I tend to get priority treatment at a discount these days.

If your LBS feel that it’s a pleasure to have your custom then they’ll go the extra mile.

rOcKeTdOg

One of the pedals got slightly cross threaded and damaged the start of the thread, so rather then risk damaging it more.

I suspect they don’t want the blame for “damaging the thread” further or you saying ” it wasn’t that bad when I brought it in” how often do you go there? My lbs would call me an idiot for damaging the threads & try to help me out but they know I wouldn’t cry about it if it couldn’t be fixed or the threads got damaged more in the process

martib

Next post will be you complaining they charged you £20….they can’t win.

I have no issue paying for work done.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Be honest here op.
    Is your bike knackered? I’ve known bike shops to refuse to do work because of the amount of little problems. They either half fix the bike, or give the customer a huuuugge bill.
    Or they could just be busy because of Christmas.

cliffyc
    Free Member

@ mrbelowski to that shop..,yes,but beautiful looking shit!. Never had issues with Campagnolo myself… . Surely LBS can refit pedal with a warning thread is not guaranteed to hold as supplied to them. Most customers would think this fair surely??

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yes, due to the state of it “show it a hose mate” which was fair, it was stinking…

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Despite having removed them and put them on numerous times, One of the pedals got slightly cross threaded and damaged the start of the thread, so rather then risk damaging it more. I am hoping they may be able to do something with it.

Did I read this right? It takes cack-handedness of the highest order to cross thread the pedal threads. The pedals will be cold hard steel whilst the cranks are probably softer aluminium.

MSP

It could be an insurance problem, I can see that maybe they have some kind of cover for damaging supplied parts while fitting, it’s possible.

martib

Be honest here op.
    Is your bike knackered? I’ve known bike shops to refuse to do work because of the amount of little problems. They either half fix the bike, or give the customer a huuuugge bill.

Sorry to disappoint but all nice & clean, greased and lubed up, new saddle, new grips, replaced rear brake pads. About the only thing it hasn’t had done while I have been sorting out the drivetrain is service the forks & bleed the brakes.

ampthill

Put the pedal on from the other side and it will chase out the thread quite well with little risk

(Just in case this isn’t clear, then remove the pedal and install it on the other side)

cynic-al
    Free Member

If the crank is goosed then they can’t make it any worse.

Its very difficult to destroy the thread by fitting, running a tap through, or the pedal from the back, should sort it.

Seen the plenty of times OP, don’t feel bad!

cliffyc
    Free Member

I find most shops appreciate the supply of biscuits/choc bars-loosens a lot of parts. While back was jumping in on the counter at local bike shop,lad walks in for 700C long valve tube,duly handed over £6.95, we asked if he’d like us to fit it for a fiver. He said he could do it himself, paid and did one. Re-appears about 15 of your earth minutes later saying the tube is faulty,ok..? we cough up another tube (Specialized),same as his “FAULTY”,ahem… one apologise about first one and he leaves. 10 minutes later (Pattern here..),he’s back this one is faulty too…,what are the chances?,ask him if he has used lever to refit tube, he replies no.We say Werry Sowwy. “Bring your wheel in and we will fit tube for you”, gratis as it’s getting expesive,all this, for shop. He brings in wheel shallow rim, I fit long valve tube,as it was what he wanted,tyres were very tight… . He goes out happy, we examine tubes and they have little slits in them like they have been nipped by some kind of a lever you might use to remove a tyre,what do they call them?,thats it! Tyre levers!!. Anyhoo, thanks to what the French might call this bouton de porte,I scored two Spesh tubes, which I still have patched up!! 🙂

martib

f the crank is goosed then they can’t make it any worse.

Its very difficult to destroy the thread by fitting, running a tap through, or the pedal from the back, should sort it.

Seen the plenty of times OP, don’t feel bad!

Cheers didn’t think about that, hence for my trip to the LBS 😉

Everyday is a school day.

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Mine turned me away once because bike was too dirty. He told me to take it home, wash it and bring it back.

I did take it home, I did wash it and I fixed the issue myself.

euans2
    Free Member

The LBS needs to grow a set and tell you the real reason why they didnt want to work on the bike, I’d have laughed at the guy and walked back out if he’d of given me that excuse!

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

heavy_rat – Member
    Mine turned me away once because bike was too dirty. He told me to take it home, wash it and bring it back.

I did take it home, I did wash it and I fixed the issue myself.

If you had brought it to me that dirty, I’d have jetwashed it to with an inch of it’s life and fitted all new bearings for you 😉

edlong
    Free Member

Mine will charge an extra £15 to clean it before commencing work if it’s dirty. To be fair, they do a right thorough job of the cleaning up and I’ve been tempted a few times, when it’s been really, really filthy to take it in with £15 just for the valet treatment (and to see the look on the mechanic’s face, of course). Not summoned the courage yet..

And, btw

I will be checking the chain stretch on a regular basis from now on

won’t get you anywhere – they don’t stretch, they wear.

martib

I must admit that is something I wouldn’t do. Even if I take my car for MOT or service I make sure it is clean, unlike my wife, who hopes they will clean it for her (and sometimes they have done out of pity!) 🙄

eshershore
    Free Member

We turn away bikes that are dangerous, or bikes that are brought in filthy and the customer does not want to pay £20 for cleaning.

We won’t fix a puncture when the tire has a torn sidewall, or a large hole in the tread, or work on a bike with bent/cracked frames or rims worn past safety limits.

We can only offer a measured, professional opinion and reasonable quote to fix. If the customer is not happy there is no cost for our initial time, but we won’t entertain doing a half assed job.

edlong
    Free Member

I make sure it is clean, unlike my wife

fnarr fnarr

martib

fnarr fnarr

+1 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Has your LBS refused to work on your bike?’ is closed to new replies.