Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Has this place has totally missed the point of mountain biking…
  • Urchinboy
    Free Member

Perhaps it would be nicer to be outside?

Just struck me as odd anyway.

aracer
    Free Member

What tyres for indoor shore?

Urchinboy
    Free Member

Should indoor shore riders wear helmets?

prettygreenparrot

Tyres? Which waterproof surely? eVent or GoreTex?

jam-bo

Perhaps it would be nicer to be outside?

There? Not for about six months of the year…

uplink
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s funny how things change eh?

With everyone these days living on BBQs in the summer and putting fancy bathrooms in their houses

Not so long back, we used to shite outside and cook and eat inside, now it’s the other way around 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

strange how climbers embrace indoor facilities but cyclists bitch about them

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

What is the point of it?

billybob
    Free Member

Given the winters in Cleveland – Indoors biking is a great idea.

tomaso
    Free Member

My mate in Canada doesn’t do much in the winter with his push bike and I am sure facilities like this are as useful as swimming pools are to us. I’d still prefer to be outside

_tom_
    Free Member

The attraction is obviously that it’s an all weather venue for practicing your skills.

MSP

Surely the point of mountain biking is to whinge about anything other people do. So if he went on the internet afterwards and bitched like a girl about the two guys who stopped in front of him, then it hits the mark as a mountain biking facility

kaesae
    Free Member

Yes you have missed the point, it’s fun and there are loads of oppertunities to practice and develop your skills, what’s not too like! 😀

headfirst
    Free Member

Its a great idea. Might build one in the UK actually.

Now where can I get 50 tonnes of gloopy mud and a field’s worth of nettles and brambles to make it more ‘realistic’??

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I get the indoor bit, it’s the North Shore I’m struggling with 😉

Sheffield Indoor was an awesome facility in the winter, often packed and hosted some big races – NPS, King of Dirt and racers like Scott Beaumont, Nigel Page and Dale Holmes.

TooTall
    Free Member

I think having an indoor facility in the second snowiest city in the USA (61 inches over 6 months of the year) where the average temperature is below 0C for 4 months of the year isn’t the worst idea in cycling.

neninja
    Free Member

I’d love to have a place like that for skills practise – a bit of everything under one roof. It did look pretty good fun too.

I laughed out loud though when I saw that the riders were all wearing backpacks. Keeping it real.

DezB
    Free Member

Snow and not a lot of other places to mountain bike?

t_i_m
    Free Member

I like it and would def occasionally go there on a rainy day for something different to do.
    Looks like an interesting and good use of the space available.

StirlingCrispin

I used to live 20 miles south of Ray’s Bike Barn (1993-1995 in Wooster, Ohio).

I’d have killed to have that facility when I was there – winters suck.
    It’s below freezing for 5 months, and the snow makes getting around very difficult. They don’t get enough snow to do anything with it though.

I used to put the bike away in November and, other than the occasional ride when it thawed, couldn’t ride it until March. And I was considered to be the mad one.

AlexSimon

I wish GoPro users would stop trying to collectively crick my neck!

I totally get the idea – it’s a childhood fantasy of many to have something like this available to them.

I don’t think it’s al north shore stuff – I think there’s a lot of pumpy and jumpy stuff too.

grum
    Free Member

Thought this thread was going to be about STW 🙂

strange how climbers embrace indoor facilities but cyclists bitch about them

There’s plenty of bitching about climbing walls (and the kind of people that go to them) over on UKC.

Surely the point of mountain biking is to whinge about anything other people do. So if he went on the internet afterwards and bitched like a girl about the two guys who stopped in front of him, then it hits the mark as a mountain biking facility

😆

The place seems pretty soul-less, but I can see the point of it. Probably would have loved it when I was a kid.

Urchinboy
    Free Member

I hadn’t considered the weather. An excellent point. So the answer to my question is no then. Good.

Next poorly thought through idea for a thread please…..

MentalMickey
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be complaining if something like this opened up near me but that first pic by Gravity-Slave looks far more appealing.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Finally found my large (badly) stiched JPEG from the Indoor Dream!

Clicky to make biggy:

What a place!

grum
    Free Member

What happened to it? Looks awesome.

J0N
    Free Member

Love the fact that they still have the Camelbacks on for the indoor wilderness riding.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I thought it was the proper Cleveland, where Middleborough is.

But then I realised it wasn’t.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Grum, it closed unfortunately.

I don’t think 4-5 months of riding paid for the annual lease but it was good while it lasted. At least a couple of seasons, around 2005-2006.

julianwilson
    Free Member

We had a whole bike race indoors round our way recently.

_tom_
    Free Member

gravity slave, that Indoor Dream looks well fun! Wish we had something like that round here. We have loads of little skateparks but nothing really designed for bigger wheels.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Interesting, if a little soul-less. I’d probably go and have a play on it if it was near to me.
    Oh did I see a couple of STW’ers @ 3:52??

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Has this place has totally missed the point of mountain biking…’ is closed to new replies.