Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Has the ISS just gone over?
  • Pook

I’ve just stepped outside and spotted a super bright satellite going over. Is the ISS going over the midlands tonight? I’m in Sheffield and it was in the southern sky, going west to east.

I know we’re expecting a few shooting stars tonight but this was definitely a satellite of some sort.

scotroutes
    Pook

ah cool! first time I’ve seen it. cheers!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matthewjb
    Free Member

There’s meant to be a meteor shower tonight as well

Pook

I know we’re expecting a few shooting stars tonight

CountZero

Check out Col Chris Hadfield’s page on Facebook. He posts up fantastic photos from inside the ISS and of the earth through the windows. There were a couple from a couple of weeks ago of southern England and London at night, which were stunning, I could even pick out my home town’s lights, whereas in daylight it would be unnoticeable.
    http://www.facebook.com/AstronautChrisHadfield

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFp9pndbSKM&sns=em [/video]

WillH

Also, you can sign up at the NASA website and they’ll email you about a day in advance whenever the ISS will be visible from your location.

ahwiles
    Free Member

a few days ago, (saturday) i was in mallorca, up early packing the car to drive to the airport.

the stars were out and very clear, i treated myself to a few minutes just looking at them.

by fluke i was looking due south, about 30 degrees up from the horizon when a ‘star’ shone very brightly for a couple of seconds.

it wasn’t moving – so i guess it wasn’t a satellite.

what did i see?

andytherocketeer

just a few seconds? that’d be an iridium flare (but they are satellites, and moving, but since it’s such a short duration it may not look like it)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Has the ISS just gone over?’ is closed to new replies.