Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Has the internet turned us into a bunch of emotional whiners?
  • joao3v16
    Free Member

I think it’s less a case of the internet turning us into whiners, instead making us realise that we have something to moan about.

I think the opposite – the internet allows us to easily moan on and on and on about stuff we’d previously have just ignored.

We’re now more likely to try and find something to moan about.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Who’s “IMO”?

theocb
    Free Member

IMO is the godfather of internet forums silly 😆 Everyone knows IMO.

ononeorange

I am intrigued by a noisy (small) minority on here who appear to feel that they need to jump on otherwise normal, helpful threads in a quite critical way (Why did you do that / why did you post as you should know the answer / I am right etc) which seems to me to be somewhat rude and unnecessary. I have the feeling that were this conversation going on in say a pub amongst relative strangers, they may not be quite so bolshy (can I use that word?).

So my conclusion is that the internet/this forum seems to empower a few people to be quite critical and/or a little full of their own view of themselves that direct contact thankfully inhibits. Probably not an earth-shattering conclusion but I am really quite curious watching it.

Oh yes and I agree with the upside that is the real support when some hit hard times.

edlong
    Free Member

ononeorange

Not sure if I fall into that camp, but I’ll always call out posts that I think have content that is racist, homophobic, sexist, etc.

Then again, I’ll do the same in the real world. I’ve fallen out with real people as a result sometimes. I’m fine with that.

andyrm
    Free Member

As for the emotional side of things, I
    think that is partly the consequence of
    the internet and electronic
    communication in general. We are used
    to swift communication via email.

Good point here. I’ve read so much about the stress caused at both ends of an interaction because of the expectations created by the “always on” culture we now live in. People almost expect that because they are available and online at a given moment, the other party should be too….

ononeorange

edlong – no, no problem with that. I was referring to general rather pointless criticisms that appear out of nowhere on some posts.

martinhutch

Omnipresent on both pages double-post glitch, I see.

patriotpro
    Free Member

joao3v16 – Member
    The British are well known for being world-class whiners, and the internet is just another outlet for our national pastime …

Thing is the Brits are known as not complaining anywhere near as much as they maybe should do either, and nowhere near as much as our European cousins…

joao3v16
    Free Member

Thing is the Brits are known as not complaining anywhere near as much as they maybe should do either, and nowhere near as much as our European cousins…

Ah! I said we were a nation of whiners. We’re very good at whining at each other about things, generally moaning and grumbling.

Although as you say, we’re rubbish at actually complaining to the appropriate people when it’s justified.

patriotpro
    Free Member

The Italians I worked with in Germany were a right set of whingers.

A good laugh though.

andyrm
    Free Member

Ah! I said we were a nation of whiners. We’re very good at whining at each other about things, generally moaning and grumbling.

Although as you say, we’re rubbish at actually complaining to the appropriate people when it’s justified.

Good point! I regularly have to pull the guys up at work for mindless whining among themselves, when the same effort could be put into resolving things……

🙂

thx1138
    Free Member

I am intrigued by a noisy (small) minority on here who appear to feel that they need to jump on otherwise normal, helpful threads in a quite critical way (Why did you do that / why did you post as you should know the answer / I am right etc) which seems to me to be somewhat rude and unnecessary. I have the feeling that were this conversation going on in say a pub amongst relative strangers, they may not be quite so bolshy (can I use that word?).

So my conclusion is that the internet/this forum seems to empower a few people to be quite critical and/or a little full of their own view of themselves that direct contact thankfully inhibits. Probably not an earth-shattering conclusion but I am really quite curious watching it.

Perfectly exemplified in this comment, which was completely unnecessary:

Congratulations all. You’ve created the snootiest, wankiest, least self-aware, middle class thread ever on STW. And that is pretty bloody fiercely contested!!! Give yourself an additional stroke on the chins, as you cock your head to one side, and thoughtfully put on the Prog Rock of your choice

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/small-discrete-speaker-systems-bose-or-alternatives/page/2#post-4690450

Such comments are made by those with nothing constructive to offer, but need any attention, so they make a deliberately provocative comment; ‘look at me look at me! Give me attention! Me Me Me!’.

It worked, too. 😆

No big deal though. We all have our foibles and flaws. It’s Life.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Good point! I regularly have to pull the guys up at work for mindless whining among themselves, when the same effort could be put into resolving things……

If only you practiced what you preached.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Expressing feelings – that is psychologically healthy.

Not coping when others express feelings – that is the issue.

brooess
    Free Member

Perspective on what’s important in life is a rare thing. Some people are so busy complaining about the little things that they forget they’re actually alive…

Years ago I worked in customer services at Bupa – dealing sometimes with some very seriously ill people/relatives of very seriously ill people (e.g. just been diagnosed with cancer)

As a rule, those who were in the most serious situations (like making sure their cancer treatment would be paid for) were the nicest. The whingiest were those who’s monthly direct debit had been taken out a day early…

I think t’internet just gives the whingy people the ability to broadcast it to the world instead of just taking it out on some poor customer service bod… so you hear more of their whining…

thx1138
    Free Member

Expressing feelings – that is psychologically healthy.

Not coping when others express feelings – that is the issue.

I think the key thing here is empathy. Certainly, some people on here are quick to express their own views, but somewhat reticent to accept that others can do similar. They will have a rant about something, but then seem somewhat put out if someone else posts an alternative/opposing view.

The thread about the anti-cyclist car driver demonstrates this beautifully.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Has the internet turned us into a bunch of emotional whiners?’ is closed to new replies.