Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Has Natasha Richardson’s death made you think about helmets?
  • simonside
    Free Member

I decided to buy one when I came home last year….with speakers in the earflaps just so I didn`t have to keep putting earpieces back in my ears, and they keep you warm.

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

I always wear a lid on my bike, but I only started because I started racing. I still feel that it is down to the individual and the “less compensation for non-helmet wearing riders” will probably be a large step towards a new law.

When I learned to snowboard at Tamworth (a beautiful alpine resort, just of the A5 😉 ) It was compulsory to wear a helmet for the lessons, but then once you were “competent” 3-to-5 hrs later you didn’t have to, and after a few days in the Austrian Alps, I was crashing my way down black runs with only a wooly hat as protection. I’d love to go boarding again, and I would definitely use a helmet this time.

My change of mind is more driven by my biking/helmet experiences than what is ultimately an incredibly unfortunate series of events, and it is so much easier to track back from a tragedy to the point of no return than to make the correct judgement call every time. If anyone knows the secret to this, please let me know!

Sillyoldhector
    Free Member

No but BigDummy’s Dilema thread did

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jam-bo

who?

Spongebob
    Free Member

Been wearing one for a few years for skiing now since an out of control novice forced me onto a slab of ice. I made the fatal mistake of leaning back and went down hard (well I was really doing my best to avoid taking this girl out and lost concentration). I tried to stop the inevitable head impact, but just strained my neck muscles. I was genuinely seeing stars and developed a headache. That was enough warning for me!

Most boarders wear them as they can take a whack on the back of the head more easily than a skier.

GrahamS

Mr Salmon: As GrahamS said it’s because it’s not normalised in the way that other things that as just as dangerous (if not more so) are.

Thank God someone gets what I’m on about 🙂

simon side: I decided to buy one when I came home last year….with speakers in the earflaps..

Brilliant – cos nothing says safety like not being able to hear anything.

Most boarders wear them as they can take a whack on the back of the head more easily than a skier.

Do you mean that boarders are more likely to wear them because of this? Or do you really mean that the majority of boarders wear helmets? Because the latter doesn’t fit with my experience.

JulianA
    Free Member

Helmet yes, compulsion no?

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Has Natasha Richardson’s death made you think about helmets?’ is closed to new replies.