Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Has my new bike had the front wheel fitted the wrong way round ?
  • emkay
    Free Member

as per the title..

should the arrows on the hub point in the direction of travel or are they just decorative ?

does it even matter ?

btw the rear hub has the arrows in the opposite direction

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Purely decorative.

cookeaa

Turn it round if hub logo alignment is a serious issue for you…

crofts2007
    Free Member

Obviously novice bike owner!
    Can’t wait to see the car he is getting.

Nearly right!

miketually
    Free Member

Traditionally*, any text or logo on the hub should be the right way round when viewed from on the bike. It should also line up with the valve hole.

*for OCD wheelbuilders

cookeaa

I really like that you went to the trouble of MS painting in a little red direction of travel arrow on the photo, it would have been far quicker to just try turning the wheel round…

It’s a QR road wheel; you don’t even need any tools just opposable thumbs…

Is there now no bicycle maintenance job so minor that people won’t resort to an LBS mechanic / internetz advice for?

simon1975

Being right handed I always prefer the QR lever on the right anyway…

wilko1999
    Free Member

Give him a break he was only asking!!

Edit : possibly ‘she was only asking!!’

bish

I would personally flip it round, but then again valve tyre logo alignment bothers me.
    It’s not doing any harm though

DezB
    Free Member

Thread made I smile.

Trimix
    Free Member

Never mind that, its the stickers on the fork leg and QR you should be worried about.

cookeaa

Actually that’s a point does it have correct Tyre logo/valve/hub logo alignment?

What about Headset spacers, do these have logos? are those properly aligned? Is the bar tape applied in a perfectly symmetrical pattern?

If any of these things are so much as 0.15mm out I’d take it back, get all shouty and rude, tell them you’re an Engineer, they’ll soon do exactly as you demand…

birky
    Free Member

Is the tyre directional? Is it facing the right way?

Yak

decorative, but as birky said- check if the tyre is directional.

but cookeaa has a point too 😉

It is worth a check all over, bar alignment, are the hubs/headset correctly adjusted, enough grease in bearings if cup and cone? I’m not recommending a complete strip down and rebuild, although thats what i’ve done before on new bikes when the hassle/time of going back and moaning is far greater than a little of my spanner time, but just a check that its not a fri afternoon build….

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Surely a troll? The direction arrow is a masterstroke.

If not, the mechanic probably put the tyre with a single sided logo on the wrong way round by accident and flipped the wheel round so that they’d both be on the same side.

emkay
    Free Member

i’m going to flip it around so it matches the back hub

StirlingCrispin

You can’t do that.
    The front wheel has to be opposite to the rear. It’s due to the fact that front wheels experience differing forces to the rear – braking rather than accelerating in this case.

Kryton57

You may suffer a horrendous accident, and almost certainly random people are going to point and laugh at cafe / pubs stops.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Don’t forget to also turn round the tyre and inner tube.

You do have directional inner tubes, I assume? If not, best to get back to the shop for a full refund.

greeble
    Free Member

also swap the brake pads over. as they have bedded in on the rim

unklehomered
    Free Member

No but it is upside down.

bigjim

Bearings work 24% better spinning clockwise.

jock-muttley

Now y’all play nice, y’hear?

could be genuine… 😉

jock-muttley

jock-muttley

triple post….

do i get a prize?

thered

Don’t do it!!!!

My mate did and it led to prompt catastrohpic failure that almost cost him his life, months in hospital. YHBW.

njee20
    Free Member

You may suffer a horrendous accident, and almost certainly random people are going to point and laugh at cafe / pubs stops.

You’re in no position to take the piss as you regularly start “should I go outside today” type threads! 😉

Kryton57

njee20 – Member
    You’re in no position to take the piss as you regularly start “should I go outside today” type threads!

Indeed but when someone has made up my mind for me, at least my wheels are rotating in the right direction. 😉

emkay
    Free Member

you were not far wrong when you suggested it was a Friday afternoon build…

just sorted out the front derailleur cable, it was too long and overlapping the crank arm –

gee
    Free Member

That’s more of a worry as it probably means they haven’t set up the front mech.

Which means they haven’t turned the cranks.

Which means they probably haven’t set up the gears at all.

So you will almost certainly be killed.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I love threads like this. 🙂

patriotpro
    Free Member

That’s a job for your lbs

Mtfu

Sue them

Suck it up, etc, etc

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Has my new bike had the front wheel fitted the wrong way round ?’ is closed to new replies.