Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)
  • Has Guy Kesteven hit peak bikejourno?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

“Start pushing them hard, … and the 3D distortion — particularly as they unload out of corners and G-outs — can be momentarily, but significantly, disconcerting. There’s noticeable softness through the cranks too, and off-camber wander if you really stamp on the pedals.”

?

rickmeister

Superb example of word-w*nk…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well that took a google
    https://www.bikeradar.com/author/guy-kesteven/
    Do people read Bike Radar reviews? Maybe it’s just to check if anyone has bothered to get past the pics?

Northwind

I actually used to pay some attention to Kesteven, til that C456 review he did where the frame was so stiff it was impossible to ride down rocky descents without stopping halfway down to shake out your hands. Not just bad at his job, more actually a little bit mad.

nuke

He should go back to doing the Crystal Maze

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Vertically stiff and laterally compliant.

bowglie

“He should go back to doing the Crystal Maze“

LOL

Drac

They’ll be fireworks.

Kuco

With bullshit like that he could be a manager at my works.

rOcKeTdOg

They’ll be fireworks.

I remember that Mountain Mayhem

sillyoldman

He peaked years ago and has maintained that level ever since. He’s always been a gobshite.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i dunno the pink bike are trying for peak journo with the whole singlecrown forks flex loads must be shit thing going on atm.

ton

in all my years of biking, only 2 bike tests ever stick out, and made me take notice.

brant richards, planet x compo and steve makin, soulcraft 29er.

everything else is just pointless, imho

simondbarnes

I remember that Mountain Mayhem

Yeah, sorry about that, I was rather drunk and egged on by Drac

Drac

Didn’t take very much.

postierich
    Free Member

could have taken someones eye out!!!!!!!

simondbarnes

Nobody died 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

in all my years of biking, only 2 bike tests ever stick out, and made me take notice.

Sure there wasn’t one from Zak Tempest in there as well?

5plusn8
    Free Member

Are any lifestyle journo’s to be trusted? I don’t think so. Let him write his shite, just take it with a pinch of salt.

ton

Zak Tempest

who?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Are they still on ‘cut and paste trails’ or have they move on from that.

I gave up a long time ago when What MTB tested ‘adventure bikes’ (before gravel was a thing). Requirements were a versatile bike, braze-on etc. for touring etc. etc.

And Orange 5 won…

mark90
    Free Member

His bike reviews are always on point 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

who?

Ask Brant…

tomhoward

Brant.

That’s 3 times now. He’ll be along in a minute.

Saccades
    Free Member

My fav review was of the Boardman bike, slagging it for being too relaxed and that it needed to be snappier for road racing – insinuating that Boardman had never written it.

First comment was Boardman saying that a snappy bike was exactly what you didn’t want at the end of a grand tour and that the geo was the same as the bike he had ridden X years ago.

verbboy
    Free Member

Guy who?

How long has he been a bike tester? Really hard to find out he keeps it quiet.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

i dunno the pink bike are trying for peak journo with the whole singlecrown forks flex loads must be shit thing going on atm.

Agreed – people worrying about something they’ve never actually experienced but are suddenly able to see in a slomo video of something you only do (huck to flat so your suspension bottoms out) if you’re completely useless at jumping.

JP

Onzadog
    Free Member

I stopped believing anything bike jurnos said back when MBUK did a fork group test in the late 90s.

At a time when the marzocchi bomber we revolutionizing what a suspension fork should be, they still tried to claim that the Pace was the better fork.

It was also the last time I bought that rag.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

He made me laugh a few months ago when he posted a blow up doll package on insta, that showed the box with his full address on .. Harrogate was if ;0)

fatmax

I saw a video review he did for Pace on Instagram – back up what everybody else is saying! At least he’s enthusiastic 😂😂

Mugboo

In Guys defence he comes up to Stainburn to dig days and works like a machine the whole time he is there. And he is friendly but unassuming. Basically a lovely bloke.

lowey

Everyone has to earn a crust I suppose. Him and his daughter are bloody handy on a tandem too.

matt_outandabout

I gave up a long time ago when What MTB tested ‘adventure bikes’ (before gravel was a thing). Requirements were a versatile bike, braze-on etc. for touring etc. etc.

And Orange 5 won…

Whaaat!

I started ignoring whichever mag it was that insisted every bike had to have 820mm wide bars no matter what.

STW reviews are good imo, lots of thought about how the bike feels and makes you ride, rather than component niggles or telling a designer how they *should* have designed it.

Speshpaul

I read a review of a handcrafted steel hard tail by a well known MTB Journo (Say what you see:’)
    And it was a rave review. About 2 days later I was presented with the actual bike from the test, -ride this bring it back when you are done.
    Hmmm, maybe like some wines it didn’t travel well.

But, its hard to write a bad review with out cutting your own throat. And how many times can you re-sugar same pill?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

from a recent US-youtube vid:

augmenting poppy trail manners without suffocating zest

Oh yes. Verbal dibbage.

tomhoward

I read a review of a handcrafted steel hard tail by a well known MTB Journo (Say what you see:’)

Roy Walker is/was a bike journo?

junglistjut
    Free Member

He should review HiFi with waffle like that.

Simon-E

its hard to write a bad review with out cutting your own throat. And how many times can you re-sugar same pill?

Agree on both points Paul. Was it part of a group test? Any bike ridden in isolation is hard to compare with anything else and it’s all hugely subjective. Reviewers also have to somehow write in a way that newbies, regulars & very experienced riders (and everyone in between) can get something from it.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Basically a lovely bloke.

Agree.
    He loves bikes and has fun.

…his reviews are mad sometimes.

geex
    Free Member

Guy Kesteven’s youtube video reviews are pretty good if you’re not interested in the how the bikes perform but you miss this guy from the fast show

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘Has Guy Kesteven hit peak bikejourno?’ is closed to new replies.