Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Has Google Maps changed, or have I not been paying attention?
  • Harry_the_Spider

I thought it was just a blue/yellow/orange/red highlight on the route that I was following, but sat in traffic this morning I noticed all sorts of rainbow coloured spaghetti on the opposite carriageway and on the side roads around the motorway.

Is this new?

Why do I care who busy it is the opposite direction or on an estate next to the M60?

ads678

You can turn off the traffic bit in the layers.

Harry_the_Spider

I want the traffic bit on the route that I’m on. But it appears to be showing all sorts of fancy colours on roads that I’m not on.

ads678

The traffic layer shows how busy all roads are. Always has. The satnav will highlight your route but the traffic layer will show you how busy all roads are. Turn the traffic layer off and the satnav will still highlight your route.

cp

It’s done that for quite a long time I think

Harry_the_Spider

Ah. My phone “shit the bed” the other week. Perhaps my frantic tapping and swearing whilst lost in Marple has switched it back on.

DickBarton

It shows traffic on the bit of map you are looking at – which will cover more than just the road you are currently driving on. If you need to reroute for whatever reason you will be keen to know where the traffic blocks are to help you get through with less delays.

Either zoom right in so you only see the closest space around your car or ignore the rest of the traffic on the roads you aren’t driving on.

tthew

I think it has been updated recently. All the roads round our power station were added and every few days it defaults to the longest, slowest option at the start of a journey. Once you’re underway, (on the sensible route choice) it will recommend a longer , slower route than the one you’re on. Did it this morning actually. Been like this for a couple of months.

nixie

Tthew, that might be the eco route. Again can be turned off.

maccruiskeen

I noticed all sorts of rainbow coloured spaghetti on the opposite carriageway

Google just wants you to know that people going the other way are fabulous.

tthew

Tthew, that might be the eco route. Again can be turned off.

Nope. The grey quicker route was the one that had the green leaf thing on it, but that is another recent innovation that could be contributing to the occasional problem.

Maybe it’s just taking a long time for the machine learning to sort itself. When it happens I do send one of those sad face feedback thing to let it know there was a problem.

Sandwich

I noticed all sorts of rainbow coloured spaghetti on the opposite carriageway

That’s the Pastafarians on their way to the Noodly One’s worship.

Caher

I wish it would stop showing routes that are slower.

CountZero

It’s for these reasons I use a dedicated satnav app, TomTom. Been using it for over six years, and on the couple of occasions I’ve used either Google or Apple Maps, I’ve not been at all impressed. I’ve also used CoPilot, Here, and Waze, which worked ok, but both Google and Apple mapping lacks the clarity of TomTom. Apple’s satnav is improving, and that might be because they’re using TomTom for the navigation info.

timba
    Free Member

It’s been through a few changes on Android, a few months ago I was seeing a CGI Streetview-type map, that’s gone back to the coloured spaghetti more recently. It does seem to update on the phone quite frequently and as I don’t change my settings then updates are the cause

Sandwich

@CountZero you may want to give Sygic a go on your phone, the display shows the lane required at each junction and there’s a lack of nagging if you miss a turn just a re-route to the next direction change.

Poopscoop

Harry_the_Spider
    …whilst lost in Marple

What?

brokenbanjo

He was lost deep in Marple…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.