Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Has cycling got more “serious”?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Prompted by an article someone posted to the cycling club page yesterday about people not identifying themselves as a propper / serious / real cyclist because they didnt race, have more bikes, do enough miles, werent 4% body fat, only rode one a particular discipline etc.

Is it just me, or have people in general started cycling more seriously? I mean when I was a teenager the evening rides were brisk but i only struggled if id been off a few weeks. 15 years later i have to be picky about groups to avoid the too fast ones despite riding more than ever.

Milages, there was always a few people who would be doing 10,000+ miles a year, the office highest mileage prize will probably be at least 15,000 this year.

Technical riding, even evening rides for a lot of people include substantial gap jumps and drops. 15 years ago a 6ft drop got you on the cover of MBUK!

Is it just me that’s not progressed and still doing 3000miles a year and enjoys the occasional bike length tabletop or 1ft drop rather than doing more miles than an average car and freeride on a ride to the pub?

trumpton
    Free Member

I think it’s all down to marketing. As much as I love those bike marketing video’s most have very skilled riders in them that make the average rider feel less of a rider and people think, I am not a proper mtber.

I think there’s a large proportion of riders who know they are cyclists whatever they ride although I am sure some do not want to be branded’serious cyclists’ for some reason.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

there’s what most cyclists do. Then there’s the so-shall MEeeedyuh version 😉

I ride to tearoom or a pint often, commute, or even carry my tent 50-100miles on occasions. Also go shopping. Often ride around woods and down trails/hills. Nothing changed for me in 35 yrs except for less jumps/dropoffs now overweight but then again I never took it up as primarily airborn sport or cash-sink. Midrange bike, transport, pastime, hobby. Not competitive.

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

No I totally see this. It put me off BMX in the early 00’s too, that got waaaaayyyy too serious at some point and I didn’t pick up MTB until about 2008, in the middle of the singlespeed boom, which seemed to be a return to what I remembered in my teens. Singletrack seemed to reflect that better than the glossy mags too. I do think the last few years have gotten more “serious” with the advent of Strava and the need to spend more time in the air than on the ground. The tech side of it seems to be getting out of reach of more and more people.
    This is all highly subjective of course and only how I see things.

Mister-P
    Free Member

15 years later i have to be picky about groups to avoid the too fast ones despite riding more than ever.

Cycling hasn’t got more serious, just your body has gotten older. I used to ride between 200 and 300 miles a week with no ill effects. 15 years later I cover about 150 miles a week and need all weekend to recover.

scotroutes

not identifying themselves as a propper / serious / real cyclist because they didnt race, have more bikes, do enough miles, werent 4% body fat, only rode one a particular discipline etc.

I don’t identify as a cyclist because it’s just one of many hobbies. I’m just someone who rides a bike. I’ve often wondered if those who choose bike-related tattoos are on the other side of that divide.

kelron
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want to be a serious cyclist, it’s meant to be fun.

scotroutes

Oh, and another thing. There’s a local cycle club. I thought I might join to be social and go on some nice rides. The focus is almost exclusively on TTs and hill climbs. Even some non-racing friends who joined have been caught up in it. It’s all a bit “serious” 😊

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yep, it all just serves to put me off being a cyclist. I just go out on my bike with my mates instead and have some fun.

footflaps

I quite like being beasted on a long group ride; ideally one full of riders slightly stronger than me, so I’m pushed on every climb etc. But yes, the fast groups in most clubs are (and always have been) full of very keen cyclists, so the pace is normally too high for those who train less. If there wasn’t a fast enough group to push me, I’d just ride on my own as there’s nothing worse than idling along in a bunch and not having to work at all……

geomickb
    Free Member

For some bizarre reason, I have concluded that all the people doing the 3 Peaks CX are “proper cyclists” therefore I am not a proper cyclist until I have finished this race. At this point I will probably be wearing a club top and arm wamers. 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

I intend to remain entirely frivolous.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think casual cycling has: see power meters, strava, turbos, aero etc for folk that don’t even race.

whitestone
    Free Member

Maybe.

Back then “you” were the serious cyclist racing for the lamp post or the top of the hill. You’ve just got older and (subconsciously) realised that you can’t really compete with the new generation. A friend said to me that at 66 he could go out on the club ‘A’ ride on a Sunday and keep up, but he couldn’t do it the following week as he couldn’t recover in time.

As for power meters, etc. what do you reckon that the top club riders from thirty years ago would have done if they’d been available then? I got a set of (clip on) aero bars from the States 25 years ago as they weren’t available in this country, or if they were then they were stupid money. Amateur participants in every sport tend to seek to copy the professionals, mostly in the aim of “getting one over on your mates”!

@geomickb
    – there’s absolutely nowt wrong with arm warmers!

jam-bo

screw big home or go home.

go average, go often.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Are arm warmers the mark of a serious cyclist? I am serious (and don’t call me Shirley)

ferrals
    Free Member

i thought the mark of a serious cyclist was a lack of natural leg warmers

footflaps

Surely a Rapha RCC jersey is the sign of a ‘serious’ cyclist 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve got to the level where I just lift a finger off the bar to acknowledge other cyclists.

I’m pretty serious.

trumpton
    Free Member

I finally feel like in am a proper cyclist now I have joined cycling uk 😉

avdave2

“Strange,” mused the Director, as they turned away, “strange to think that even in Our Ford’s day most games were played without more apparatus than a ball or two and a few sticks and perhaps a bit of netting, imagine the folly of allowing people to play elaborate games which do nothing whatever to increase consumption. It’s madness. Nowadays the Controllers won’t approve of any new game unless it can be shown that it requires at least as much apparatus as the most complicated of existing games.”

It’s not just cycling and Aldous Huxley saw it coming

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As for power meters, etc. what do you reckon that the top club riders from thirty years ago would have done if they’d been available then?

I think Al summed it up:

I think casual cycling has: see power meters, strava, turbos, aero etc for folk that don’t even race.

15 years ago I dont think anyone went away for MTB coaching, now its a thing.

I should point out im only 33, and would guess that most people I ride with are older than me. So its not an old and past it thing. Just seems more common to have a turbo, coach/training plan or skills coaching, etc than it ever used to be.

Zwift and powermeters are new and probably drive people to get turbos and commit to training plans, but im sure turbo training used to be the preserve of hyper-committed roadies. Mountainbikers just got a road bike or singlespeed.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I agree with thisisnotaspoon.

But I guess this would depend which area of the country you are in.
    I think it would be especially true for cities and areas with growing populations.

Also I think its even more true for other sports than cycling.

I remember doing the local half-marathon in 2001 and being really pleased with myself.

Now adays many of my mates have done iron men in some exotic location.

I would say to some extent that im now more aware of people who do alot of exercise and my group of friends has self selected to some degree. But I dont think this is the whole picture.

But you can see that numbers involved for marathons/triathlons etc have increased. Also some cycling events like ride London 100 and so forth didnt even used to exist.

At least some people are pushing them further than they used to.
    Im sure the spread of information ie Strava/you tube/facebook is allowing like minded people to meet, measure and push themselves further.

Again like thisisnotaspoon, if I look at my stats on strava Im doing more and more exercise but falling further behind my peers (never mind younger people).
    I often see friends doing about 10,000 km of cycling a year on Strava.

whitestone
    Free Member

33? Ha! I can just about remember being that age! I think???

Going back to the mid 80s turbos were in use by serious, not hyper-committed, riders. I honestly can’t remember the prices (see first paragraph) but I doubt they were cheap relatively speaking, probably the equivalent of £300 for a magnetic resistance model. Nowadays like most things the price has come down and the functionality has gone up.

Things change, whether for better or worse it is, like the French Revolution, too early to tell.

binners

Our rides are just a slightly convoluted route to the pub

geomickb
    Free Member

@whitestone I didn’t say there was anything wrong with them, just that I have only see “proper cyclists” using them.

Having said that, I’m not sure I get them. Isn’t using them just pulling your sleeves down instead of up? 🙂

Mick

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

Centrifugal Bumble-Puppy!

footflaps

I don’t think Strava etc has made it any more competetive, I used to race road for my club and everyone in the ‘team’ was uber competitive (long before Uber had been invented). Every chain gain / reliability ride was a full on race with no prisoners taken; if you punctured you were dropped and no one even looked back 😉

whitestone
    Free Member

You’d have to have quite baggy shirts/sleeves to be able to roll them up to the mid-bicep area.

They are a very practical item at this time of year (and in spring) when it’s pretty cool/cold in the mornings and warm later on. In fact I used some today – thick fog this morning and a bit nippy heading down hills, after about an hour of riding the sun was burning it all away and the latter half of the ride I just stuffed them in my jersey pockets. I’ll use them on road and MTB.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Centrifugal Bumble-Puppy!

Is that a synonym for turbo?

ayjaydoubleyou

In the realm of fitness, no, quite the opposite.
    Off road, people are happy to push up hills or twiddle a tiny gear, the joy of climbing and pursuit of fitness of any sort is limited to those who race XC, which is a much lower proportion than previously.
    In the drop bar world, previously the dominant ‘culture’ of the uber hardman roadie dominated, either pounding out paceline drop rides, or mega distance rando/brevet stuff. Now (last 5 to 10 years) we have sportives that aim to bring the excitement of supported pack riding to the non racer, the rise of “gravel”/adventure roadie – taking the path less travelled for the scenery and fun of it.

In terms of tech – I’m inclined to agree. The arms race of bike capability and the rise of the trail centre, downhill uplift centre and so on has redefined XC/trail. Its probably no more difficult than what people used to do on a twitchy seat up bike with crap brakes, although the higher speed and drops involved will mean the consequence of crashing is higher.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

“race road for my club and everyone in the ‘team’ was uber competitive”

Yeah but I dont think this is what the OP is trying to compare.
    There has always been people who are near the top of their sport who are super competitive.

What the OP appears to be saying is for the average rider things have got more serious.

When I look back to the my Uncles ->
    on my Mums side doing any sport past 30 was pretty weird.
    My Dads side very was active but Dad and his brother always did out door activities ie
    Fishing/Shooting/Golf/Diving/Motorcross.
    They never went for out and out fitness type activities.
    I guess they were serious too about their activies, especially Diving !, but they were very different.

taxi25
    Free Member

there’s nothing worse than idling along in a bunch and not having to work at all……

Speak for yourself on that one 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Now (last 5 to 10 years) we have sportives that aim to bring the excitement of supported pack riding to the non racer, the rise of “gravel”/adventure roadie – taking the path less travelled for the scenery and fun of it.

Conversely, those people might just have been the type to commute or do leisure rides with the ctc clubs, now they’re pretending to race.

Similalry the ‘gravel’ rides either with the office guys or local road club are at the sharp end of brisk. There’s very little hanging arround looking at the view!

Or to put it differently, i used to be the wierd ‘serious cyclist’ in the office people would get pointed to if theyd signed up for a 30 mile charity bike ride. Now i’m feeling decidedly second tier, the office cycling club has a >25mph lunchtime chain gang!

theboatman
    Free Member

At 33 I was definitely a proper cyclist, but at 47 I am a man that rides a bike alot. More kids, pets, work things, ageing parents and other life stuff just means it’s one of a lot of things I do.

footflaps

What the OP appears to be saying is for the average rider things have got more serious.

They now probably wear lycra and have a nice carbon bike; but are just as slow as they always were 😉

mariner
    Free Member

I ride my Brompton with attitude – but always end up smiling.
    Its just fun.

tenfoot

3000 miles? I haven’t ever reached that in a year, although this year’s commute has increased in distance, so I will be close.

I generally don’t have time to fit much more in, what with dog walking, family stuff, work etc. Happy to ride when I can and try not to take a hobby too seriously, as then it becomes no fun.

stevious

I’ve definitely found more people wanting to lots of arithmetic while riding their bikes.

Poopscoop

Is it just me that’s not progressed and still doing 3000miles a year and enjoys the occasional bike length tabletop or 1ft drop rather than doing more miles than an average car and freeride on a ride to the pub?

Mate,I aspire to most of what you say there!

So I am way behind the pack as it were.

My bikes changed a huge amount over the years but my reasons for riding and style of riding (slow and cowardly) has not changed and in the main, I’m ok with that.👍

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Has cycling got more “serious”?’ is closed to new replies.