Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Has anyones YT Capra arrived?
  • robinlewis1983
    Free Member

I am still waiting for final conformation after a few weeks, but bought a large not knowing if it would fit. Would love to know if anyone has one yet and how it rides/how they find the sizing?

R

mega
    Free Member

I got email confirmation of order after a few days but have to wait for week 44…

also interested in sizing of Capra

178cm tall and went for the large as I like a long bike

My mates has – the Comp 2 (I think) – the green one.

Lovely it is – but the medium seems very small to me – I ride a large Enduro though.

Northwind

Mate got his a while back, he’s loving it. But I think he was a pretty early order

blahblahblah
    Free Member

I’m still waiting for mine until August.

They are short in the top tube – the medium has the same length top tube as my size small Cotic Soul. Crucially though it has more reach due to the super steep seat tube. That’s kind of what I want as my Soul is great seated but a bit short when stood up.

I’m 5’8″ and YT sizing recommended the small Capra which is very very short, so I ignored and bought the medium. My problem will be that the Reverb probably won’t go low enough in the seat tube for me to use the full extension so I am already preparing to buy a 5inch drop one and sell the 6inch one on the bike.

That’s the way it is as I have a long back and short legs.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’m the opposite, I have long leggy womens legs and a short body. The Capra is on the short side from what I’ve seen, so it sounds like you could get away with the large at 178cm. If not – just fit a shorter stem. The bike would probably be perfect for me because of my elongated limbs.

Or cancel the order and get a GT Sanction. Long, with a silly amount of standover height to the point that 5 foot 8 testers at dirt could get away with riding the XL.

I’d read on their website under the availability section that lead time is week 44 of 2014. So you’ll probably get it in October/November? Why not ring.

robinlewis1983
    Free Member

I have bought (yet not paid for) a medium and Large whilst I deliberate. I currently have a medium Cayyon nerve so a pretty short bike with a steep head angle, I would say this bike is just a tad small for me so after talking to YT and others I bought a Large, they said it was a similar size to the large wicked pro and my friend has one of those so thought I would give it ago.

I tried my friend Wicked and it felt good standing above it but I found it rely hard to pick up the front of the bike and to corner. I cannot tell if this is partly because it is too big for me or just because it it zoo much longer and slacker than my nerve that I just need to adjust my technique…. Would seriously suck if I end up with a capra I cannot pick the front wheel up of, then again even worse if the bikes too short….. I would love to bump in to someone with one soon just so I can see the size.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Or cancel the order and get a GT Sanction. Long, with a silly amount of standover height to the point that 5 foot 8 testers at dirt could get away with riding the XL. buy something you have tried for size?

robinlewis1983
    Free Member

Mate got his a while back, he’s loving it. But I think he was a pretty early order

Northwind, may I ask how tall your mate is and what size he got? would be great to hear from someone who actually has the bike now.

wavejumper
    Free Member

I’m 5’6 and was going to go for a small? I had a small Covert before and was at the top end of the limit for that size bike but then a covert comes up small as well. Any idea if a small Capra seems right??

wagenwheel

Week 37 😥

gaz552
    Free Member

Week 34 for me. I’m about 5′ 9″ and ordered a medium. I’m hoping the reach will be ok.
    I’m currently riding a Giant Trance 275 with a 50mm stem 770mm bars so not sure how it compares to the capes Tbh.

stomlinson
    Free Member

Anybody received their Capra yet? Tempted to get one but constantly deliberating the sizing just seems small at 5’10 I am thinking the large would be best especially when you compare the numbers to the new Alpine bikes intended for a similar purpose. Anybody around the Peak District have one maybe I could have a butchers at? Cheers

Northwind

robinlewis1983 – Member

Northwind, may I ask how tall your mate is and what size he got? would be great to hear from someone who actually has the bike now.

Oops, sorry for missing this… He’s about 5 foot, maybe 5 foot 2 tops and got the smallest size. The frame looks fairly big under him but the proportions are right, he’s used to not having a lot of tt clearance

blahblahblah
    Free Member

I am picking my medium comp 1 in an hour. Was contemplating starting a thread about it as there’s not that much info on here yet.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

has it cracked yet?

blahblahblah
    Free Member

Mine has come as 2 deliveries. 1 for bike. 1 for the revised gear hanger. I won’t ride the bike without swapping out.

I did just buy a 3 grand bike without riding and knowing it was a brand new frame design. I knew the risks but thought it might be worth it. We’ll see…

stomlinson
    Free Member

Blahblahblah how tall are you? Let us know what you think of sizing, cheers

blahblahblah
    Free Member

I posted my comments on sizing earlier in the thread. I’ll get back to you on if I think I got it right shortly 🙂

godzilla
    Free Member

My mate banjaxed his hanger in the Alps and to be honest I was put off by the naff fitting flimsy hanger they came with, glad it’s being revised.

blahblahblah
    Free Member

OK, real quick post from me with a few comments – I need to grab some dinner.

The revised hanger has a larger lip on it that the b-tension screw butts against. I have fitted the hanger with copious thread-lock and tightened it to the recommended torque of 12nm.

The new hanger does not fix the issue the guys over at Pinkbike are a posting about. I won’t go into it without posting some pics. Their issue could be a problem for anyone with the seat stays that currently come on the bike. However, with care it shouldn’t be. The crack that has appeared may not even be an issue in itself.

The medium size bike is exactly the size I was expecting. It is definitely not a long bike but fits me, at 5′ 8″ with a 30″ (and a tiny bit) inside leg, perfectly.

The one thing that I am extremely happy about is that the 6″ Reverb post sit into the frame just far enough for me not to require swapping for a 5″ post. I would say that I will probably ride the bike without any changes for a good while.

I would say that if you are 5′ 10″ with say maybe a 32″ inside leg then you are pretty lucky. Both medium and large will fit you fine. You get to choose if you prefer a standard length bike – medium – or if you prefer a longer bike (like the Kona process) go for a large.

devash
    Free Member

A lot of the German bikes I’ve seen have really short top tubes. Cube is another example, their 18/19 inch frames usually have the top tube length of most manufacturers medium or even small frames.

And don’t forget Canyon. Same short top tube lengths and their online fit calculator insists that at 6ft I need to be on a medium with a 580mm top tube1?!?!?!?!

euans2
    Free Member

And don’t forget Canyon. Same short top tube lengths and their online fit calculator insists that at 6ft I need to be on a medium with a 580mm top tube1?!?!?!?!

Canyon are changing that with the new Strive CF Race, the M comes with a 629tt

devash
    Free Member

Canyon are changing that with the new Strive CF Race, the M comes with a 629tt

This the one?

https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3511#tab-reiter2

euans2
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s the one, the race and team models all have the longer tt

devash
    Free Member

Nice looking bike and the geometry is certainly more ‘on trend’ than their other offerings.

bigrich

I have bought (yet not paid for) a medium and Large whilst I deliberate.

amazing

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Pictures?

michaelcycle
    Free Member

I’m amazed that anyone would buy a bike without spending at least half a day riding it, let alone take a guess at sizing. Let’s face it, anyone who spends a chunk of money on a bike is always going to say it’s fantastic after investing as they obviously made a considered decision when selecting and saying it’s naff after buying basically means they are admitting they made an error of judgement… or in fact no judgement at all and simply fell for the hype and marketing. Find the bike you like, test it for a day and then test others, as many as you can before taking the plunge… especially when spending so much.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve always bought bikes without test riding them, as long as you can get things like TT length and all the angles sorted in your head, then it’s not an issue. Living where I do, if I went with demo days, I’d have a choice of about 10 bikes.

Sod that.

michaelcycle
    Free Member

There is a lot more to how a bike rides than just angles and tube lengths. Shock leverage, rising rate, progression, frame flex, how do the angles change under load/movement etc etc. That sort of info is rarely available to the public and difficult to compare. Riding the bike to see how it actually works in practice has to be the only way?

brant
    Free Member

There is a lot more to how a bike rides than just angles and tube lengths. Shock leverage, rising rate, progression, frame flex, how do the angles change under load/movement etc etc. That sort of info is rarely available to the public and difficult to compare. Riding the bike to see how it actually works in practice has to be the only way?

Would you spend that long analysing a prospective partner, or just go on gut feeling?

michaelcycle
    Free Member

I wouldn’t get hitched on just an advert and hearsay or opinion based on seeing a glossy photo and marketing spiel. Isn’t dating and courting the equivalent of a test ride? seeing if you get on with each other before commitment? Then again some people do get married just based on adverts. I guess each to their own.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I couldn’t really care less for leverage etc, I just ride my bike. I’ve not had one I didn’t like yet, bfe was a bit stiff on big long days, but would I have picked that up on a test ride? Who knows. And as I said, no test rides for cotic near me.

RickDraper
    Free Member

I bought all my bikes without test riding them. I know what size I ride, the top tube length I want so I just buy the size I need.

I’d have no hesitation buying a bike off the internet from Canyon or YT.

julians
    Free Member

You can generally tell from reviews as to whther a bike has the traits you find appealing or not, regardless of whether that bike was a 10 out of 10 or 3 out of 10.

I have no issue buying without a test ride, but ill do a lot of research into professional reviews and amatuer reviews first in order to decide.

Also I dont understand why just because ive spent my hard earned cash on something that ill automatically think its ace. If I buy something and it doesnt live up to expectations ill say so, eg audi s3, spent £26k on it, after 6 months ownership was bored stupid by it, did not live up to my expectations, told anyone that would listen that fact.

Northwind

michaelcycle – Member

I’m amazed that anyone would buy a bike without spending at least half a day riding it, let alone take a guess at sizing.

Realistically that’s rarely possible. So what you’re effectively doing there is slashing your choice. Maybe you end up making an informed decision on the best of the limited pool you got to testride, but the odds of that being the best out of the far larger number of bikes that you didn’t are slim.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Fail by michaelcycle for not using the words “kinematics”.

A half-day test ride will tell you very little. I initially loved my SC Nomad, then got increasingly tired of the bottom link compressing in the granny ring (2 weeks grinding the granny at 12,000ft in the rockies didnt help), grew to hate it and sold it within 6 months. Bought my Alpine mail order having never having seen one, 3 years later its a keeper. Its got better and better as I tweaked the CCDB, which takes more than half a day.

Bought a Lapierre road bike as last-years-model 45% off from CRC without having sat on one, it is an absolute joy to ride and has saved me a fortune not buying my “dream” Cervelo (which actually has a very similar geometry).

Similarly you regularly read of DW-link bike owners (eg Turner, Ibis Mojo) taking a long time to get the rear shock dialled in and bond with the bike.

If youve an idea of dimensions and angles that will suit you, a half day rest ride is redundant.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Has anyones YT Capra arrived?’ is closed to new replies.