Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Has anyone used this bleed kit?? it's cheap..
  • gaberin
    Free Member

For avids http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/products/bleed-kits/avid/complete-kit/

Does it work like the official one, is the fluid ok to uses? its only £12.99

Cheers

nosedive
    Free Member

I used it. seemed OK, the syringes fitted well and everything. If i bought one again I would get the version without the dot 5.1 and just by a pot from the car shop

gaberin
    Free Member

Whats wrong with the dot 5.1 included?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gaberin
    Free Member

Anyone know if this one is any better?

http://www.reddogracing.co.uk/itemdetails.php?partno=32

Rosss
    Free Member

Used my Epic kit now for over a year now – Both avid and Shimano. It’s been brilliant, the only problem is the threaded end of the synringe has a very small rubber ring on the end to provide a tight seal. I lost one of these but you can still bleed fine without it however a small amount of liquid seaps out so be careful not to loose it / Buy some spares. Other than that it’s been faultless. Buy the one without the 5.1 dot and get some from a car shop as suggested. That way it’s cheaper, higher quality and you get more.

sam2391
    Free Member

Used this kit as well and it was great, did the job first time using their instructions also, and got the brake feeling spot on.

nosedive
    Free Member

there is nothing wrong with the dot 5.1 included, except it is a small pot suitable for maybe 2 bleeds. for about £2 more you can buy about 10 times as much from a car parts shop.

you have to keep in mind though that this stuff absorbs air and doesn’t keep well for long periods so if you only plan to bleed your brakes and then put the kit away for a year it doesn’t make any difference

Stevelol
    Free Member

I bled my formula the ones for the first time with one of their kits, I was worried at the complexity of using two syringes coming from the very low tech Hope procedure but it was dead easy and the brakes feel ace now, lots of dot left too.

Northwind

I’ve used the Epic kit for a while, it’s as good as OEM. The wee o-rings seem slightly delicate, I’ve torn a couple but I emailed them and got replacements no bother (nothing in my mighty box-of-o-rings fits)

ryreed
    Free Member

Yep, used the epic ones on my formulas and had no issues. I can’t imagine the OEM ones being much different to be honest…syringes are always likely to be produced to similar, medical, standards?

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Is it just me, or is the Epic website 404ing?

montylikesbeer

yes it is

continuity
    Free Member

The pot provided of fluid is not sealed, so it could have been on a shelf for two years absorbing moisture and so be abso-lute-ly-****-ing-use-less.

gaberin
    Free Member

Ok thanks for the help, will order one.

Does anyone know how to swap the hoses on avid elixir crs? Do i just unscrew it, let all the fluid drip out, then put it on the other brakes? or is there something else i have to do?

Cheers

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

Continuity, our brake fluid is contained in an air tight bottle and is never more than a few days old when shipped.

Thanks for the great comments guys. Spare o-rings will soon be available on our website, if you need any in the meantime get in touch with us via the website.

alpin
    Free Member

kit looks ok…. i bought something similar from a seller in germany last week.

worked fine and only cost me 9€.

Mugboo

Just used the Epic kit for my Reverb. Made the job a doddle 🙂

smogmonster

I have 2 Epic kits, and theyre great, frankly. I wouldnt contemplate using anything else.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I have a reddog kit and an official reverb kit (came with my post) and they’re almost identical… the epic kit also looks the same as the reddog one.

swingbing
    Free Member

I find my epic avid kit slightly annoying because the fittings that screw into the bleed ports don’t have a larger knurled section for you to grab onto to tighten them. Just mean using some needle nose pliers to tighten/release if I don’t want to leek fluid everywhere.

Not a big issue if you don’t bleed very often but does slow the process down quite a bit. I’m far too tight to buy the avid kit though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

there is nothing wrong with the dot 5.1 included, except it is a small pot suitable for maybe 2 bleeds. for about £2 more you can buy about 10 times as much from a car parts shop.

you have to keep in mind though that this stuff absorbs air and doesn’t keep well for long periods so if you only plan to bleed your brakes and then put the kit away for a year it doesn’t make any difference

Technicaly it absorbs moiture from the air which is the problem, but as long as you put the lid on it will be fine for years, the ‘wet’ boiling points are arround 4% water, so a litre bottle of DOT would need to absorb a double shot glass of water, which isn’t going to happen with the lid on.

The pot provided of fluid is not sealed, so it could have been on a shelf for two years absorbing moisture and so be abso-lute-ly-****-ing-use-less.

See above, unless they poured water into the bottle first it’ll be sealed enough not to be absorbing significant ammounts of water.

Most car systems (which unlike bikes aren’t designed to be turned upside down) aren’t sealed at the top, the fluid sits in it’s resevoir which usualy has a breether hole to allow the fluid to expand or the level to drop as the pads move. Bikes get arroudn this by having a diaphragm seal under the resevoir cap which allows the fluid level to move without letting air into the fuid when it’s turned upside down. This is why the avid and shimano instructions end with pressurising fluid into the system to push the seal back, if you pulled fluid through from the calliper only it would pull the seal down and leave the resevoir almost empty.

I find my epic avid kit slightly annoying because the fittings that screw into the bleed ports don’t have a larger knurled section for you to grab onto to tighten them

+1, it’s easy enough ont he reverb and the brake calliper, but the lever the port is between the hose exit and the bar so getting pliars to it is harder.

d45yth
    Free Member

swingbing – Member

I find my epic avid kit slightly annoying because the fittings that screw into the bleed ports don’t have a larger knurled section for you to grab onto to tighten them. Just mean using some needle nose pliers to tighten/release if I don’t want to leek fluid everywhere.

This might work out better if you’ve got more than one brand of brakes to bleed…I already had the proper Avid kit, but had to cut the knurled part off one of the syringes so it would fit my Formula’s.

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

This might work out better if you’ve got more than one brand of brakes to bleed…I already had the proper Avid kit, but had to cut the knurled part off one of the syringes so it would fit my Formula’s.

This is exactly why. It makes our bleed adaptors compatible with a wider range of brakes.

Also you should be able to nip them up tight enough with your fingers to maintain an air-tight seal. We advise against the use of tools to aid tightening because over-tightening can deform the o-ring and this will compromise the seal you’re trying to acheive.

Thanks for the comments guys!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Also you should be able to nip them up tight enough with your fingers to maintain an air-tight seal. We advise against the use of tools to aid tightening because over-tightening can deform the o-ring and this will compromise the seal you’re trying to acheive.

The problem I found was they went on fine enough, but getting them off was harder as the brake fuid’s had time to lubricate between the hose and addapter so the hose just spins on the addapter, so they go on fine by hand, but won’t come off again. Not bad enough to make me spend £36 on an Avid kit, but annoying enough.

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback. Gripping the knurled bit alone, not the tubing, whilst wearing the gloves provided should enable you to remove them no problems – assuming you’re only screwing them in by hand..

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone used this bleed kit?? it's cheap..’ is closed to new replies.