Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Has anyone used Sturmey Archer 5 speed hubs?
  • supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Tempted for my road commuter bike (currently SS), just can't find a lot on the 5 speed ones.

One of these.

Thoughts & experiences please?

epicyclo

I'm using the 3 speed. Lovely hub and enough gears.

StirlingCrispin

I'm saving up for one of these:
    http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/7/id/55

Look no cables!

rootes1

i'm also tempted though was looking for a non wide ratio 5 speed one.. but think now these are unavailable

best bit is with a 48 x 18 gear three at 1:1 would give the same ratio as the single speed i have now and for most of the time a zero loss gear ratio

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I really like teh fact they are narrow OLN so will fit my SS road frame and they have a nice neat old style bar-end shifter for my drop bars. problem is not many people seem to stock them.

rootes1

SJS stock / list them

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

yeah, for some reason I don't like SJS.

rootes1

yeah, for some reason I don't like SJS.

really? I use them for Brompton spares.. always been very good/quick – shame postage is not free though as makes getting small bits expensive.

you could try spa cycles as an alternative, though most lbs should be able to supply SA

Si

GavinT
    Free Member

I built one up for a friend who uses it on his 'pimped' (cof) Raliegh 20.
    He seems happy with it and has even raced it in time trials.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

rootes1 – i know it sounds irrational. it is. I don't hate them just don't like them, and haven't had any bad experiences to really justify it…..

rootes1

rootes1 – i know it sounds irrational. it is. I don't hate them just don't like them, and haven't had any bad experiences to really justify it…..

Yep that qualifies as 'irrational' 😉

Si

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone used Sturmey Archer 5 speed hubs?’ is closed to new replies.